• Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

IL / Midwest area Shooters

TANGO2072

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Ray,

welcome, I used to host along w/ the main guy John Kopecky. But I occasionally will support by RSO. Too expensive to shoot 308 in that manner from my AR-10.

2nd- the ASC Board has approved my request for a PRACTICAL PRECISION RIFLE section, added to the Action Sports Shooting, which Practical Rifle falls under. I have been authorized to conduct monthly Events out on the 200 and 600yd Ranges we offer. I am currently developing the "kick-off" course of fire with some help from some of the more veteran PR shooters from Cali.

As soon as I have a CoF and dates ( MAY ) I will post'em here and on barfcom.

OK for those interested in this...

I am looking for days that would work best and not interfere w/ the ASC - PRC.

Would SAT or SUN work best for those who could seriously consider attending.

Currently I am looking at MAY 14 ( sat ), 15 ( sun ) or MAY 29 ( SUN )

Due to work load on the ASC calenar of events, days my flex due to scheduling of Ranges and such.

The 1st idderation, will mainly consist of shooting paper scaled targets @ various ranges on the 200yd Range.

Possibly moving to the 600yd Range for some intermediate Range shooting in between stages.

Currently I have 10 stages slated.

I'd like encourage ALL Precision Rifle shooters , those w. 556 platforms seek out 77g for better distance and accuracy.

When we do shoot regularly out to 600yds, 77g will get ya there no issue.

For the PPRC events COME PRPARED. KNOW your Platforms capabilties, know your Scope and DOPE.

We are limited, We ( I ) personally have 1- AR500 steel target @ 18x24 rectangle ( not IPSC shaped ) w/ stand we MAY possibly get to use at times.

Cost will be slightly higher then PECKERS, due to Range maintainence cost and targets.

I will be ironing out the extreme details, Rules and SOPs this weekend, and finalizing the CoF. and coordinating w/ the ASC board for an authorized DATE.

If anyones is interested please feel free to contact me at

keith.swear@gmail.com or PM me

Sounds awesome.  Once a member, I plan on soliciting to host a Combat Carbine course, consisting of both rifle and pistol.  I've talked with a couple of the members, and they were very interested, and said by taking the proper steps it should be a shoe-in.

I've been looking at ammo to do the Practical Rifle matches.  And I've gotten it down to about $45.00 for military factory-loaded, non-corrosive ammo and be able to use my LAR-8.  For the few weekends a year I'll be able to make my schedule work, I can afford that.  It's a mini vacation of sorts for me.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

New member to the board from IL here. I'm a couple hours south of you guys; McLean Co. Been to the ASC a couple times for CMP clinics...how I got my first taste of the awesomeness that is the M-1 Garand and also where I shot an ar-15 for the first time. And I did get my very own M-1 from CMP not too long after :D.

• 3 weeks later...

Springfield here....  Have 3 Guns, will travel for 3 gun matches...

I use the same name on every other forum too...

Been through half a dozen .308 AR's a couple of Armalites [back when the mags sucked], a 1st gen Bushmaster [FAL mag], a RRA [FAL mag], a DPMS AP4, now a Bushmaster [pmag] ORC in .308.

Pmags are the only thing that makes this platform worthwhile, IMHO.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...