• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Be careful building those short-barreled rifles!

This guy is taking it in the neck--

Deputy to plead guilty to building assault rifle - Southern California Public Radio - April 29, 2014
http://www.scpr.org/news/2014/04/29/43853/deputy-to-plead-guilty-to-building-assault-rifle/

[full text of article is below]

A Los Angeles County deputy has agreed to plead guilty to illegally building an assault rifle — the first plea deal among 20 officials charged or indicted in an ongoing federal investigation of the Sheriff's Department.

The Los Angeles Times reported Monday that Richard White Piquette admitted in federal court documents that he manufactured a .223-caliber rifle with an eight-inch barrel. The U.S. attorney's office says under federal law, the rifle's barrel length should have been at least 16 inches.

The charge carries up to 10 years in prison. Piquette could formally enter his plea as early as this week.

Piquette also admitted possessing other guns, including banned assault weapons. He was not charged in connection with those weapons, but his admission could affect his sentence.

I say the same to anybody who's interested in SBR's. YOU HAVE TO GET YOUR TAX STAMP FIRST! Up to 10 years and $25,000 isn't worth having something "cool". Having the paperwork in the process doesn't count either. You STILL can't have the rifle (upper) assembled at all. Period! Until you have that stamp back from the ATF. THAT'S THE LAW!. LE or not.......BATFE doesn't care or discriminate. Before I got my first stamp back, I was even concerned about having the barrel in my possession. Technically, (if they want to) they can claim that you can assemble it anytime you want......and then go on your shooting spree (since we all know that SBR's make you crazed and extra violent).

I've built multiple SBR's to date. BUT.....that's with 2 registered lowers (one 5.56 and one 7.62). I've got two more 5.56 lowers in the paperwork process with the ATF right now. Mainly, for other short uppers I've already put together. Granted, once you register at least one lower......you're ok (for the most part).

Total, I think that I've got about 6 SBR's (HEY.....I've been going through a phase alright?). And every one of them was waited for patiently. You just can't rush the ATF.

Again.......................10 years and $25,000. It ain't worth it for a 6 to 10 month wait.

I'll get down off of the stump now. 

It's not just SBR's. It's any class 3 equipment also. Machine guns....sub-guns....SBR's....suppressors. As far as being worried about being on a list. If you own anything......even from a NICS check.........you're probably already on a list somewhere.

you have internet service and visit sites like this - you're on the list.

I need to submit a form 1... someday when that form comes back to the eform website >:(

Until then, it's pistol buffer tube. 

You know, what I had wondered about was taking a plain rifle tube and either welding/epoxying something to the end so that a regular stock can't go on it. I'd have to think that would be acceptable as well, as its not easily able to attach a stock

You know, what I had wondered about was taking a plain rifle tube and either welding/epoxying something to the end so that a regular stock can't go on it. I'd have to think that would be acceptable as well, as its not easily able to attach a stock

Just drill out the threads in the back (s a stock can't be attached), and wrap a foam sock over it. Done!

• 2 weeks later...

The latest bit of news in this saga... more to come on October 8. Poor guy.

Deputy pleads guilty to building assault rifle - SF Gate - May 12, 2014
http://www.sfgate.com/news/crime/article/LA-deputy-pleads-guilty-to-building-assault-rifle-5472110.php

[excerpt]

A Los Angeles County deputy pleaded guilty Monday to illegally building an assault rifle, in the first plea deal among 20 officials charged or indicted in an ongoing federal investigation of the sheriff's department.

Richard White Piquette admitted in court that he manufactured a Noveske Rifleworks N-4 .223-caliber rifle with an eight-inch barrel, City News Service reported. Under federal law, the rifle's barrel length should have been at least 16 inches.

The charge carries a possible federal prison sentence of up to 10 years and a $250,000 fine, according to the U.S. Attorney's Office. Sentencing was set for Oct. 8.