• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Horrible accuracy: Custom SR-25

ninjajimmy

I'm about to give up! Had this built and it just doesn't seem to shoot. I had a guy who specializes in KAC guns put the upper together for me.

I'm only shooting FGMM 168gr and Remington Premier 168gr. It does it with either ammo. Same lots of ammo are tack drivers in my FN SPR (target on the right)

I've tried two different optics: Leupold Mk6 1-6 and a Vortex PST 6-24x50 FFP. Both mounted to spec, torqued properly etc. Nothing seems loose and everything seems tight.

Although some of you have seen the build thread, the build consists of:

Knights Pre-ban SR-25 receiver set

Troy .750 Low-pro Gas Block

AAC 51T Blackout Muzzle Brake

DPMS BCG

Lilja 18" stainless 1/11 barrel

Knights URX 3.1 rail (very hard to find)

Knights URX 3.1 Rail Panel Kit

Knighs Receiver Sling Mount

Knights Combat Trigger Guard

Knights 45 degree offset sights

Geissele SSA-E trigger (2 stage, 1.5lbs, incredible)

BCM Mod 4 Charging Handle

DPMS Gas Tube

VLTOR RE-10 Buffer Tube

Damage Industries H3 buffer

BCM Mod 0 Pistol Grip

Armalite AR-10 Operating Spring

DPMS Bolt Catch

Armalite LPK

Magpul ACS Stock

Targets are all 100 yards.

Left Target: First shot green, second shot low, third green, next two low. SHOT IN LEAD SLED

Middle Target: First two green, third orange, fourth green, fifth yellow. SHOT OF BIPOD/REAR BAG

These are two of many groups I've shot. 

Where do I go from here? 

39A53CDB-3C3B-48E3-A992-67AFD0944970_zps

SR-7_zpsa1b9ef41.jpg

Edited by ninjajimmy

Ditch the ACS stock and look into something with a bit of a cheek riser....or modify something to fit your ACS?? If you like the collapsible stock, check out the CTR with the LaRue riser.

To me it looks like you're changing your shooting position, maybe even your cheek weld. You obviously know how to shoot (and shoot well <thumbsup> ) a rifle based on your third picture. I think changing over to the AR system has you a little off balanced.

Since sometimes you're on target, and other times you're not, it shows that you change small things about your posture and then change back due to comfort levels. I believe this is just an rifle/shooter relationship issue more than a mechanical issue..... It just means more lead down range for you. :auto:

Lol, I would be the first person to say it's the shooter. The thing is i've put it in a lead sled and it's making groups like this. I have shot the AR-15 platform many times and never seen issues like this.

I had a friend shoot as well and he basically did the same thing. Was very perplexed about where the rounds were going at 100 yards.

I've emailed Lilja and the guy who put together my upper to see what they think.

Edited by ninjajimmy

I have shot the AR-15 platform many times ...

...and this is not the AR-15. Not trying to start anything - many people think that because they've got experience on the AR-15, that they're good on this platform.  Not the case. 

Wait for your info from Lilja on ammo, and wait for the info from your builder.  On the bright side, had you built this yourself, then only person you could blame at this point is yourself, if it comes to a build question and not a barrel/ammo question.  That's the whole reason I don't ever have anybody build my stuff - I don't want anyone else's hand in it, if it's wrong, because they will always say it's not their fault...

...and this is not the AR-15. Not trying to start anything - many people think that because they've got experience on the AR-15, that they're good on this platform.  Not the case. 

Wait for your info from Lilja on ammo, and wait for the info from your builder.  On the bright side, had you built this yourself, then only person you could blame at this point is yourself, if it comes to a build question and not a barrel/ammo question.  That's the whole reason I don't ever have anybody build my stuff - I don't want anyone else's hand in it, if it's wrong, because they will always say it's not their fault...

Yeah i'm going to wait to see what they say. I would have put it together myself, but figured since the barrel nut wrench is $300 i'd have someone who knows what they are doing and has all the tools put it together.

It could be me, i'm not saying it isn't, but having not had one remotely solid group out of all I shot seems odd. It's a bad a$$ gun that's for sure.

Shooter error would be first thought, second, have you checked your head space? And as mentioned above, 168 grain should be right there for a 1 in 11 twist barrel. Assume your COL are around 2.80 with factory ammo. Also, take a shot, discard and then see what the following five shots group at. See if there is any improvement.

I'm honestly not trying to be a dick...

Since half your shots are on the mark, and the other half are kinda-grouping low... It sorta looks like you're anticipating the shot???

Try loading up on your bipod more... Also, get off the bench/table and try prone, in the dirt. You may be getting a little rifle bounce. Even a lead sled doesn't hold these auto guns like they hold a bolt rifle.

Barrel nut could be loose , always a possibility , no matter who put it together.

I wanted to go there, originally, but didn't.  He's been pimping that Ayan built his upper the whole time.  I have no idea who Ayan is, or what his experience is, so I haven't said $hit about that part of it.  Apparently, he's an experienced 308 AR builder, or it wouldn't have been mentioned in the first place.

Yeah he does a lot of KAC uppers, so I assume it's fine. Ayan did say he would take a look at if I wanted to send it back, but suggested I remove the brake and try it like that just to rule it out.

The only cleaning of the barrel that's been done has been a bore snake with a bit of Rem Oil on it.

I'm going to get it back out this Sunday and see what happens.

Removing the brake isn't gonna do $hit for ya.  Send that thing back to Ayan, and let Ayan fix it.  Ayan said so originally, and said it was accurate, so Ayan should fix it and make it accurate. 

Dude, you've spent so much money, blindly, on this project.  My comment above was quite-dickish.  For a reason.  Send this poop back to your super-builder Ayan and have him unfuck this rifle. 

Tired of seeing Ayan Ayan Ayan Ayan....  You had him do this, so have him unfuck it.  At THAT point, Ayan will be the man.

With the components you have going on here, you should NOT have an accuracy problem. 

Contact your assembler.  Ayan.

What company does he work for?  Or with?

I had a guy who specializes in KAC guns put the upper together for me.

Edited by 98Z5V

"The only cleaning of the barrel that's been done has been a bore snake with a bit of Rem Oil on it."

your new barrel is fouled and you didnt break it in like the barrel maker suggested...thats my thoughts

:) Wash

http://www.riflebarrels.com/support/centerfire_maintenance.htm

Edited by washguy

He works for himself. He already told me he'd take a look at it so I do plan to send it back. On snipers hide I posed the same question and most of the responses seem to think it's me not being familiar with the platform or possibly changing something between shots that is causing this.

I would believe in what SH & the possibility of your unfamiliarity of the system , but explain the Lead Sled shots , you have no input but pulling the trigger !

I use nylon brushes.  Copper , and bronze are what your trying to get OUT  of the bbl.

Respectfully

Terry

I've always been curios why ArmaLite specifically says not to use a nylon brush for cleaning during the break in procedure? ?????

http://www.armalite.com/images/Tech%20Notes/Tech%20Note%2028,%20Breaking%20in%20Match%20Barrels,%20030205.pdf

Edited by jtallen83

This barrel is new & not broken in or seasoned yet . I can not see it being fouled in any way , it was cleaned using a snake type cleaning mop , which should have gotten out any machining particles or oils from making the lands & groves. What type of brush you use at this point is immaterial . 

I mostly use Phosphorus bronze bore brushes , but use the new type nylon ones with out a problem. The snake type of cleaning swab , IMO , can put more dirt & carbon fouling or even scratch a barrel , if not cleaned after each use .From what I have seen of the ones people use , they have never been cleaned. I don't recommend them or use them . I use a clean patch every time & there is no way to re-contaminat the inside of the barrel cleaning that way.

If inconsistent grouping with same ammo persists , send the upper back for inspection .