• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Horrible accuracy: Custom SR-25

ninjajimmy

Well good news. Hit the range today and really kept thinking about everyone saying how much harder it is to run the gas gun. I focused on my cheek weld and using my off hand to really grip the fore end and pull the rifle into my shoulder. Shot off of bags. At 100 yards, i'm happy to say I think I can rule me as the issue. I remounted the Leupold 1-6 for todays shooting. All groups are FGMM 168gr, 5 rounds. First group is the first one I shot at that distance. After I settled down I pulled off the second and third groups shown. There were a couple others in between that were close to the same. I think it's safe to say, I figured out the issue....me.

Don't mind the groups being high, I hadn't dialed it in at 100 yards and was just shooting for groups.

First group was 1.5"

A91C255B-9A4E-423B-96A8-02919A3D6B2A_zps

After settling down and trying to focus on cheek weld, breathing, and holding the rifle. 

.839"

4F49B0B5-7FE4-4D9E-923D-26470A5147BC_zps

Then followed up with a .916"

9E832A04-8ED0-4B97-8EC9-FF288A14933A_zps

Ahem.... I just want to redirect everyone's attention to post #3 in this thread... Just sayin'

Ditch the ACS stock and look into something with a bit of a cheek riser....or modify something to fit your ACS?? If you like the collapsible stock, check out the CTR with the LaRue riser.

To me it looks like you're changing your shooting position, maybe even your cheek weld. You obviously know how to shoot (and shoot well <thumbsup> ) a rifle based on your third picture. I think changing over to the AR system has you a little off balanced.

Since sometimes you're on target, and other times you're not, it shows that you change small things about your posture and then change back due to comfort levels. I believe this is just an rifle/shooter relationship issue more than a mechanical issue..... It just means more lead down range for you. :auto:

:sign10:  Ah, fuckitall, I guess even a blind squirrel finds the nut eventually.

All playing aside. GREAT shooting ninjajimmy. Sub MOA is plenty to be proud of.

so in the end, it was the nut behind the buttstock? :D

Haha...yep!

Ahem.... I just want to redirect everyone's attention to post #3 in this thread... Just sayin'

:sign10:  Ah, fuckitall, I guess even a blind squirrel finds the nut eventually.

So true...after the 5th person or so between threads said it could be me I got to wondering. Glad it was me and not the tool.

Edited by ninjajimmy

$hit, I'm just happy that we're talking about the accuracy of a .308AR in the  "Accurizing the .308AR"  section...

<lmao>

<thumbsup>

All I got to say is , it takes a great deal of work to screw up groups with a lead sled , I can see it happening though . :hail:  <laughs>

• 3 weeks later...

"The only cleaning of the barrel that's been done has been a bore snake with a bit of Rem Oil on it."

your new barrel is fouled and you didnt break it in like the barrel maker suggested...thats my thoughts

:) Wash

http://www.riflebarrels.com/support/centerfire_maintenance.htm

I agree 100 % a new barrel needs to be properly broke in and that is not shooting but loads of ammo and then dragging a bore snake thru it I hate bore snakes clean it from the breach only!!!!! and clean it with copper cleaner this time to get it really clean and then start over you will be amazed how shooting once and cleaning the first 50 rounds then shoot three and clean to 100 rounds,,,, beanch rest shooters believe in it and so do I , it is a pain in the A$$ but well worth the time and effort because it will clean up like a breeze afterward....

<thumbsup>

All I got to say is , it takes a great deal of work to screw up groups with a lead sled , I can see it happening though . :hail:  <laughs>

I've seen it, done it. If the scope's parallax isn't dead on at the range shot and your cheek weld isn't perfect, it's easy to be off that inch or so.  I have a hard time with a lead sled myself - or off a bench sometimes.  Guess it's too many years shooting out of a sling or over sand bags from prone.  Heck, I'm just learning to use a darn bipod. LOL