• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Noob from SD/NE

Zedex

So far all I have is a scope and no rings, but I just ordered a DPMS RFLR-308T for $800. 

I shoot USPSA pistol matches and some friends want me to come play 3-gun with them. I feel like it made more sense for me to compete in heavy metal since the rifle could be more useful outside of competition (hogs/deer). Initial investment will be a few hundred dollars more, and ammo cost will be probably $100/year (only a few matches a year up here).

Scope is a Leupold Rifleman 3-9x50. I hadn't planned on going this big, but the price was right. Our local 3-gun range doesn't do long shots (only pistol-depth bays), so I think I'll experiment with 45 offset irons for the super close shots. Seems kinda mall-ninja, but if it keeps me out of open-division it might be worth it?

I'm still undecided about the trigger. I was hoping to keep this whole kit under $1,200 (because wife...), and the scope ate a big chunk of my trigger budget. 

I've been using a Giessele 3-gun trigger on the ar-15 I borrowed for 3-gun this Fall. It was terrific, obviously, but I don't have personal experience with other upgraded AR triggers. It looks like most of the folks on here approve of Giessele, but yikes are they pricey. 

What do you folks think? Am I crazy for choosing this as my first AR? What are your words of wisdom? 

post-15280-0-36404600-1415120912_thumb.j

Welcome, first of all. I think your estimate of $100 a year is way low for ammo, especially if you plan on doing 3gun. I will second Giessele, I have several in different variations. You may do fine with your rifle, but I think as you go along, there will be changed you will want to make to lighten it for competition.

Read up, have fun and enjoy your stay here

I meant $100 more than it would have been shooting .223, not $100 total. Sorry for being unclear.

I agree with weight management. I want an ACE skeleton stock eventually which might help, but I'm not sure how that works with the buffer and what I need to make it work.