• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

My .308 build

boostless

I've build a few AR-15 rifles and figured I would try my hands at a 308 build.  This is my parts list for now, it's what I've ordered and am currently waiting on.

Partslist:

Aero Precision M5 receiver set - En Route

Aero Precision Nickle Boron BCG - on preorder list

Parts in hand:

A2 style flash suppressor (Surplus Ammo & Arms)

Black Hole Weaponry 18" barrel

YHM Low Profile gas block

Mid-length gas tube (Surplus Ammo & Arms)

UTG Super Slim Handguard - got it since it was cheap but feels good in my hands

Standard Charging handle (Surplus Ammo & Arms)

CMMG LPK

DPMS buttstock assembly

DPMS Forward assist and dust cover

If you see anything that will cause any problems let me know since I don't get a lot of range time as it is

Edited by boostless

I think the Aero set uses proprietary takedown and pivot pins.  I got mine through them, anyways, and I think it was for that reason.  They also sell a bolt catch that will work (and comes with the appropriate screw for use with their set).  What are you using for buffer/spring/stock connection?  Did the stock just come with all that?

yeah it was a 308 handle I ordered. I called Aero and they are waiting to get the lowers back from coating and the BCG is looking like January now.

as of now I have the stock assembly, upper parts kit and the hand guard here, and everything else should be here wed with the exception of the receivers and bcg.

Well I have almost all the parts in hand, hopefully.  Receiver set is en route, and still waiting on word from Aero about the BCG.

I got an AR15 upper free with the barrel and I don't know if I should sell it or build a 7.62x39 or 300 blackout.  I hate how spare parts turn in to rifles...

Edited by boostless

^tell me about it. I had a set of scope rings turn into a rifle last year.

For some reason I found this very amusing.  Probably because it's so true.  I'm in a similar position with an extra Aero 308 upper, which fortunately is compatible with my lower, so I can build another upper to swap onto my lower.  Which will, of course, turn into another rifle.  But I'm sure I'll feel better about it if I say it's just going to be another upper...

I can't say as how I would complain about free parts though.

For some reason I found this very amusing.  Probably because it's so true.  I'm in a similar position with an extra Aero 308 upper, which fortunately is compatible with my lower, so I can build another upper to swap onto my lower.  Which will, of course, turn into another rifle.  But I'm sure I'll feel better about it if I say it's just going to be another upper...

I can't say as how I would complain about free parts though.

hint: 338 federal.... heh heh...

I got an AR15 upper free with the barrel and I don't know if I should sell it or build a 7.62x39 or 300 blackout.  I hate how spare parts turn in to rifles...

LOL! I've bought several barrels from them and have a few of those uppers, funny thing is if you happen to buy a BHW barrel from SAA 

to go with your "free" upper you'll get another "free" upper thus starting a viscous cycle! - Geez this could go on forever!

I got my receiver set in tonight.  I'll post up pics in the first post.  If you guys have any questions let me know. 

I do have a question though, the hammer is hitting the bolt catch when its all the way forward, is this normal on the 308?

** Guess I can't edit the first post**

On the fitment of the upper and lower receiver, it was very tight and if anyone was wondering about it I wouldn't hesitate to order another set.  As of right now my only concern is the bolt catch mentioned above.  The pivot/front pin is just slightly below the surface of the receiver and I don't mind that since it's not likely I'll be taking it down much.  The receivers did come with the pin/screw/bolt for the forward assist and the bolt catch, I just hadn't seen it mentioned before and I thought I would if anyone was wondering about that.

If you'll notice the BCG is the only thing missing, I'm just waiting on it to come in since I got on the pre-order for the nickel boron group through Aero.

20141223_191341_zps30wnzyfk.jpg

20141223_191709_zpsg5oet7tt.jpg

20141223_191732_zpsgyjyalgf.jpg

20141223_191743_zpsfxumwhsh.jpg

20141223_191811_zpsxstlypj3.jpg

20141223_191819_zps4nosmgqg.jpg

20141223_191824_zps3u04dsak.jpg

20141223_212324_zpsnetasqkn.jpg

Edited by boostless

• 3 weeks later...

Well I got my BCG in yesterday. I promptly took it apart and checked the headspacing.  Everything checked out and I had a chance to get out to the range this morning.  I only ran 10 rounds through it but it cycled well.  I also took out my fresh AR15 build, this cycled pretty good as well.  The bolt was a little tight in the LR308 rifle, which didn't bother me much.  What did bother me a little bit is the ejector was very hard on it.  I had to pull the bolt back and released on the round in the chamber to get it to lock.  Is this a normal thing with the 308s?  Once it was locked in it was fine and would cycle flawlessly after the first round was chambered.   

• 11 months later...

Have had this out to the range a couple times now and it seems something goes wrong with it every time.  After fixing the buffer/spring problem shots were all over the place,  double checked the scope/mount tightness and it was fine.  Took it back out again Friday night and the bolt catch broke.  Decided to keep shooting it since it doesn't affect function.  Ended up getting brass in the bolt some how and locked it up.  Was able to get it apart when I got home, cleaned, and inspected it.  I didn't find anything else wrong with it.  I'll have to get a new bolt catch and see what goes wrong next...

you guys should check out this stock.all anodized aluminum,no plastic runs on ball bearings cheek piece adjustable for scope use.bought one for my si defense build

http://riflestocks.com/cgi-bin/sc/productsearch.cgi?storeid=*10ca84530206a4909dfb&search_field=hammer&search_submit.x=4&search_submit.y=7

http://www.doubletapstore.com/doublestar-ace-arfx-skeleton-stock-standard-a-2-length-stock-tube

Edited by dprice38444