• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Pivot & Takedown pin question

I have an Aero Precision upper & lower. I have read that Armalite lower parts fit. I also read they are better quality. Does the Armalite Pivot and Takedown pins fit correctly? I can get them as well as the bolt catch. I can get a whole LPK without the trigger for an Armalite AR10 from DSG.

So educate me please........help!!!

Finding compatible parts is a problem and Aero Precision has so many parts Out of stock.

You need to call Aero Precision and find out - some accounts are that their pivot and takedown pins are a different length than DPMS LR308 pins (which are identical length/diameter to Armalite AR-10 pins).

Aero knows - give 'em a shout and then let us know what they say. 

253-272-8188.

Thanks, I knew this one going to be a difficult build and expensive. I would not have attempted it without this web site. I see on other web sites people having questions about .308 ARs and I always send them here.

Thank you........ummmm.....did I say thanks....well thanks again. It could have ended up me spending a lot of wasted money which is something I do not want to do, I'd rather spend that on ammo.

I'm looking SLR handguards/rails....I got one for an AR15 and it's really nice, lightweight and strong. The BIG issue is the BCG barrel. I called SSA and they would not confirm any bolt barrel compatibility, they just said you have to headspace and time it yourself. It looks like I am staying safe and buying a BCG and barrel from the same company probably Aero themselves. But they are always out of stock on stuff. I might eventually call Rainier, I have always had great service there.

You won't have to headspace and time your own barrel - no way.  Not on these things.  Maybe on your own M2 HB, but not these.  SSA may not check headspace, and they were probably trying to get the word out that you need to check your own headspace with the proper gauges.  Always to that on a .308 AR build, or have it done for you.  Too many variances across this platform to take the chance.

Rainier Arms and Fulton Armory will do that for you, as well as a few other places.  Buy your bolt and barrel from the same place, or buy the barrel and send them your bolt.  Both of those places will do that; contact them ahead of time if you're sending in your own bolt.

As a general rule, if you use an Armalite-patterned barrel, you have to use the Armalite-patterned bolt.  DPMS-patterned barrel, DPMS-patterned bolt.

Edited by 98Z5V

I didn't think the guy knew WTF he was talking about. But I do know that the bolt and barrel have problems even though they are both DPMS pattern.

When I'm ready I'll probably end up calling Rainier. Especially if Aero doesn't have stuff in stock. I am going to call them tomorrow about the pins. I'll post what they say here.

I'll talk with my gunsmith also. I don't know how much experience he has with .308 ARs, he does with just about everything else. Not many people have put together these guns or even worked on them.

I have headspaced and timed many M2s with a go-no go gauge......I was a cav scout and drove M113s, M557s, ITVs.....and so on.

Edited by bigdaddy1957

I'll talk with my gunsmith also. I don't know how much experience he has with .308 ARs, he does with just about everything else. Not many people have put together these guns or even worked on them.

I have headspaced and timed many M2s with a go-no go gauge......I was a cav scout and drove M113s, M557s, ITVs.....and so on.

Right fucking ON!  I love the M2.  I still have a set of gauges someplace around here...  <lmao>

If your gunsmith has the gauges, and can check the headspace on a 308 bolt gun, then he can do it on one of these.  Have him remove the ejector first, from the bolt, unless his gauges already have the ejector cut-out in them.  <thumbsup>

Ok I'll talk to him tomorrow or so, he's a good friend.

I am definitely going to document this one for y'all. I'm sure many people will be putting these together in the future. If it can help someone that would be great. I'm so tempted to just go buy a Bushmaster XM10. But I know I will change so many things I might as well just build one.

Are you joking? Or being a smart A$$?

No I read it about 20 times here that many people that have this pattern and buy BCGs and barrels from a different company had compatibility problems. I've been warned about it  here, so I don't know what you are talking about.

It was a question about your statement of a DPMS pattern Bolt not working in a DPMS pattern barrel , no smart a$$ ,it was a legit question , because it didn't make sense.

Its the Armalite Bolt & Barrel that is not interchangeable with DPMS pattern Bolts & Barrels , if that is what you are referring to . Stick with quality DPMS pattern Barrels & Bolts  or Armalite Barrel & Bolt & make sure they Head Space correctly & there shouldn't be a problem . 

I have no experience with Blackhole Weaponry Barrels , but I'm sure others have & will let you know .

Edited by survivalshop

Oh sorry, I have read so many who buy DPMS pattern BCGs and barrels from different vendors that do not work well. It seems to be a hit and miss.

I read it here........many others on gun web sites are having issues causing them to waste money on parts that are not working together.

The last one here was a guy with a nickel boron WMD BCG and I forgot which barrel, I think it was a DPMS barrel. The headspace was off. So it seems to be common, there is a lot of compatibility issues within the DPMS pattern concerning different vendors who say their product is in fact DPMS pattern.

Been there, done those things too... and also had to sometimes ride behind said M113's on the scout bike with an FN-MAG (i.e. M240G) slung on my back and M16 slung on my front. Ate a lot of dirt back then.

P.S... It's an M577 not M557 C:-)

Edited by shibiwan

Any coated BCG , Nickel Boron ,will be tight & some get freaked about it . I'm not sure how the Nitrated BCG run , but shouldn't have the same issue because there is no coating one that type of finish. 

I have read on actual DPMS BCG's having quality control issues , as in bad Ejector/spring or Extractor/ spring or their keeper pins . I have two DPMS BCG's & one Shadow ops Weaponry BCG & they all work fine . The Shadow Ops. Bolt ( NIB ) was a little tight at first ,as with the " GO " Gage , but after some rounds through the rifle , Head Space was fine .

Yup 577....I was in the 1/11th ACR in Fulda Germany C troop and HHT for the 11th...I actually carried a M3 grease gun. I did more driving around in circles and mopping floors, police call, guard duty, CQ duty and so on than anything really soldier related. But that's another story......

It seems to save myself some agony I'll make sure the vendor can check it like Rainier. And of course use a lot of lube when I shoot it.....

I'm going to order a LPK from Aero, they seem to have them in stock and it will save me some grief. If it's out of stock at least they have the pins and bolt catch earlier today. Of course how many times have I seen something in stock in the morning and go to buy it at night and it OOS.

Again thanks to all and like I said I would have never attempted this without this web site. I probably if I wanted a .308 would have gotten an M1A1 and never shot it due to ergonomic issues or maybe an FAL......and sold it. I know with the AR I can make it comfortable for me and my beat up old body. I'm close to 60 and feel 80.

Thank you all. I will continue reporting on this build and hope it helps someone else take the plunge from AR15 to .308 AR.

For what it's worth, I haven't heard of many people having headspace issues when combining like-patterns.  That doesn't mean "it's safe to not check headspace..."  ALWAYS check headspace on these .308 ARs when you build them.  The simple reason is:  there's no Mil-Spec, no TDP to follow, no set-in-stone pattern or blueprint that manufacturers follow in order to make sure all parts are compatible/interchangeable.  These aren't the smaller ARs, which do hve that going for them.  Those are either in spec/in tolerance, or they're not.  Not so here, with 3 major configurations (Armalite, DPMS, RRA), and a few minor configurations (Hogan and POF come to mind on that).

So, if you've read about headspace problems, especially here, please link those threads into this one, so we can see what you're talking about.  I'd like to revisit those threads, and see if the problems were from someone combining DPMS and Armalite parts (bolts/barrels). 

Fear not, man - we'll try to keep you straight.  <thumbsup>

I do not need anybody to keep me straight and I don't stray too far off......are you fucking guys kidding?

The only people that I let bust my chops are close friends......I don't have any here.

I think you have mistaken me for someone else......

By your own admission, you don't know anything about this platform, except what you've read online. 

So, if you don't want the help you've already been given, the information that's been provided, etc., then no fucking problem.

However, if you DO need more information, then we will keep you straight, and make sure you don't stray too far off the path - of information, parts, vendors.  Don't need to be your close fried in order to help you out.  Don't even need to know you - which IS the case here.  If you don't appreciate that information, and don't want that help, then good fucking luck.  Find out the hard way.

For what it's worth - your age doesn't matter.  You can come in here and ask questions, request assistance, ask opinions - and if your a complete jackass, then you can just hit the fucking road.

Now is where you chime in and tell me "Only my close friends can talk to me like that..." 

I have an Aero Precision upper & lower. I have read that Armalite lower parts fit. I also read they are better quality. Does the Armalite Pivot and Takedown pins fit correctly? I can get them as well as the bolt catch. I can get a whole LPK without the trigger for an Armalite AR10 from DSG.

So educate me please........help!!!

Finding compatible parts is a problem and Aero Precision has so many parts Out of stock.

I do not need anybody to keep me straight and I don't stray too far off......are you fucking guys kidding?

The only people that I let bust my chops are close friends......I don't have any here.

Really?

If you are this easily offended by people who don't want you to hurt yourself, you're probably not where you belong. Perhaps BARFcom is looking for more disciples.....