• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Magazine Recommendations

bbush44

I have been looking to pick up a few magazines (5 rd, 10 rd, & 20 rd) for my first 308 AR build. I am mostly interested in the metal mags, but not set on it if there is a better option in polymer. I see there several options out there, but wanted to get some opinions on the best money spent. I know with any setup there are good reliable mags and then just plan trash. Thanks in advance.

Brian

Howdy Brian.

What pattern rifle are you building?  The DPMS-pattern PMags are VERY good.  I'm very happy with the Rock River polymer FAL mags too.

For 5-round and 10-round, I believe your only options right now are steel.  

Plane, I should have mentioned that in the first post. My lower is a PTAC-10, DPMS pattern. Any advantages/disadvantages of polymer vs steel. I am old school I like things made out of steel. <thumbsup>

honestly can't do much better than PMAGs. the Lancer poly mags look nice but are way overpriced at the moment.

I think someone posted a link to brownells branded 308 mags if you want metal. havnt seen a review, but they put out great 5.56 mags.

Edited by blue109

While at SHOT I met with ASC and CProducts. I was ready to bad mouth both of them...

ASC is trying. The owner was there and a hell of a guy. I wasn't blown away with his products, but he seems aware of his past reputation and stated that he's got some changes for this year.

CProducts is actually now CProducts Defense. The owner was away, but his wife was there to fill me in. They bought CProducts when the quality has fallen to crap. They stated that they've had a hard time rebuilding their reputation. They've been taking their mags back to the drawing board and are releasing some brand new designs. What really impressed me was their stainless mags. They felt like they were melonite treated. Their new anti-tilt follower was very sturdy too.

Here's their new 28rd and 30rd 7.62x39 mags. The 28rd mag is supposed to fit in standard mag pouches... they rumored that the "new" 30rd can actually fit 35!

output_zps4wi3yh5g.jpg

CProducts advised that they increased the spine welds as well. Not just the number of welds, but also the strength of the welds. They showed me a mag they tried to pull apart. The body ripped before the welds broke.

While at SHOT I met with ASC and CProducts. I was ready to bad mouth both of them...

ASC is trying. The owner was there and a hell of a guy. I wasn't blown away with his products, but he seems aware of his past reputation and stated that he's got some changes for this year.

CProducts is actually now CProducts Defense. The owner was away, but his wife was there to fill me in. They bought CProducts when the quality has fallen to crap. They stated that they've had a hard time rebuilding their reputation. They've been taking their mags back to the drawing board and are releasing some brand new designs. What really impressed me was their stainless mags. They felt like they were melonite treated. Their new anti-tilt follower was very sturdy too.

Here's their new 28rd and 30rd 7.62x39 mags. The 28rd mag is supposed to fit in standard mag pouches... they rumored that the "new" 30rd can actually fit 35!

output_zps4wi3yh5g.jpg

CProducts advised that they increased the spine welds as well. Not just the number of welds, but also the strength of the welds. They showed me a mag they tried to pull apart. The body ripped before the welds broke.

I find it strange they said they bought CProducts when the quality was going down . I think I read some posts in another Forum where he was saying the quality went down when the new owners took over & made changes to his design . Could be he was pissed for loosing or selling the CO. or what ever made him go in another direction .

Rebuilding their reputation ? On someone else's design & name , could be , I would give them a test to see how they do when they put them on the market ,against the old design .

I have about twenty of the original CProducts & they are fine mags . They are all Stainless , I think , some of the Finnish comes off from use , but not a big deal.  If the Lancers were not so expensive ( twice the price of the PMag ) I would get some & probably will to test them , like all the others I have done , but right now the twenty & twenty five rd. PMags are the best available for the price .

My DPMS mags work fine also , I've had no problems with them .

Thank you for the replies. I will look at picking up some PMAGS for the 20rd. Any online vendors have the best pricing or shipping?

Anyone have any experience with the 5rd or 10 rd metal ones?

AR-Stoner

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2228349966/ar-stoner-magazine-lr-308-gii-sr-25-308-winchester-20-round-with-anti-tilt-follower-stainless-steel

Fulton Armory

http://www.fulton-armory.com/magazine-308-ar-5-round-stainless-steel-anti-tilt-follower-crsi-spring-black-finish.aspx

Thanks

Brian

Shot once, don't own yet.  Everytime I check out from DSG Arms, I forget to toss one in my cart.  I'll have some soon - it's at the top of my mind everytime I'm on that site now.

The 5.56 L5s are the only thing I'll buy now for the other ARs.  Don't get me wrong - love me some Pmags.  I just don't see the reason to buy more Pmags with the L5s at the same price.  Those things ROCK!...

Edited by 98Z5V

• 3 weeks later...

Well the final parts are on the way for my ar-10a and I should have the rifle completed by the end of the week.

The Brownells 7.62 mags still show no sign of shipping, and I have no mags for the rifle.

I was almost tempted to get a couple Stoner mags from Midway, but the reviews are inconsistent.

The lancer mag looks really tempting but I wouldn't be able to justify buying more than one or two right now.

I'm hesitant to buy any 7.62 Pmags because I intent to use 180gr bullets almost exclusively and I'm worried about oal cartridge length.

For my AR15's I have Brownell 20 and 30 rounders, various USGI 30's and Teflon coated metal body Magpul 30's all function exceptionally well. I'm not too big of a MagPul plastic fan, they don't fit the crappy surplus mag carriers I always buy too well.

Edited by AngelDeVille

I ended up ordering the following from www.leesmags.com. Shipping was reasonable and I had them in my hands in 2 days.

http://www.leesmags.com/category-s/121.htm?searching=Y&sort=9&cat=121&show=30&page=2

14590586 ASC DPMS LR 308 5 round magazine                                                            2 $14.00  

13364154 Magpul 7.62 308 Win 20 RD DPMS LR 308 magazine GEN3 MAG-291-BLK  2 $15.00  

12391198 DPMS LR 308 20 Round Magazine Promag DPM-A1                                      2 $17.00

The 5 round metal mags and the Magpul 20 round fit and function perfect. I had to beat on the bottom of the metal Promag to get them to latch in the lower. I contacted Promag and they are sending me replacements.  I will see how the replacements fit.

It looks like he raised his price a bit since I ordered.

Edited by bbush44

The Brownells mags still show no sign of shipping so I bought 7 gen3 25 round Magpul window mags from a primary arms sale.

I did use the lancers this past week and while they are nice, they are just too expensive to have a large stock of them.

I'll compare the magpuls to the lancers once they arrive.

I think I'll cancel the Brownells order.