• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

DPMS LR-308 A2 Buffer Tube Lenghts

Good morning,

I recently converted my LR-308 6 position collapsible stock to a fixed A2 stock.  As such, I purchased an A2 buffer tube, an LR-308 A2 buffer spring and buffer, and fixed stock.

It all assembled well without any issues except for the fact that the bolt carrier does not go back far enough to allow the bolt carrier latch to catch the face of the bolt.  It's as if the A2 buffer tube is too short and there is not enough room for the for the compressed buffer spring and buffer to be far enough back to accommodate enough of the bolt carrier for the face of the bolt to clear the bolt carrier latch.

Sounds silly, I know...but I am not new to LR's however, this is first time I have added an A2 fixed stock to one.

With the above issue, it begs the question, is there a different length A2 buffer tube for the LR-308 that I am not aware of?

Thank you for your time and I greatly appreciate your input.

I purchased an A2 buffer tube, an LR-308 A2 buffer spring and buffer, and fixed stock.

Did you use an AR-15 rifle buffer or LR-308 rifle buffer? I see you got the correct action spring, but if you got an AR-15 rifle buffer that's your issue. The LR-308 rifle buffer is shorter. Hit up Brownells and seach part # 308BS11. That's the correct buffer for you.

• 4 weeks later...

Good morning all and especially Robocop 1051,

Between work and life in general, I have not had a chance to reply to any of the questions above regarding my post.

The first question asked in regards to buffer length got me to thinking and I checked on that.  Sure enough, I had ordered an LR-308 Rifle Length Buffer from a very reputable supplier located in Iowa.  After comparing the buffer I ordered and received to an AR-15 Rifle Buffer, guess what???  They were the same length...

Ultimately, one call to the supplier I used was made and the issue was fixed...Thank you Robocop 1041 for your help as I knew I had everything right but go blinded by the obvious as well as making "ASS-umptions" that I got what I ordered.

• 4 months later...

I got the same problem with the buffer, on My DPMS LR 308... I just had a shop install a stock and I kept the adjustable stock. They put the original spring in it, and it wasn't strong enough to go into battery ... I took it back and they put a heavier spring in it and a different buffer (long one)  I went to the range and ' The bolt wouldn't lock back.  I noticed that the buffer in my adjustable stock was a lot shorter... I'm confused on this ... Right now I got the original adjustable stock and OEM spring and short buffer.... it works fine ....  but for the stock I don't know

There's a difference between:

1.  Gunsmith.

2.  AR Gunsmith.

3.  308AR Gunsmith.

You'll need to find a good 308AR Gunsmith, if you send the work out.  It makes a difference.

They re-used the carbine action spring in the rifle system - big no-go, to an extent.  They probably also used an AR15 rifle buffer in there, and it's gonna be too long.  You certainly need a specific rifle buffer for the 308AR setup. 

AR15 on top, Armalite AR10 on bottom - DPMS LR308 Rifle system will have the same length as the AR10 buffer.

DSCF0581.jpg

^^^  that picture literally shows you the difference in length between an AR15 bolt carrier and the AR10 bolt carrier - which both have to fit into the same rifle receiver extension.  AR10 has a longer bolt carrier, so it must use a shorter buffer, in order to work inside the same-length rifle receiver extension for both platforms.

Edited by 98Z5V

What was switched out originally , just the stock or the Receiver Extension ( Buffer tube ) , Buffer & spring ?

What stock ? Rifle or ADj.?

As said , there are several ways to change out 308AR Buffer systems , 

1- DPMS 308AR , Carbine Buffer /Spring with any AR 15 Carbine Receiver extension ( just remember the MilSpec & Commercial outside tube diameter differences )

2- DPMS 308AR , Rifle Buffer /Spring with AR 15 Rifle Receiver Extension

3- AR10 (Armalite ) Carbine Buffer /Spring ( AR 15 H.Buffer ) AR10 Carbine Receiver Extension

4- AR10 ( Armalite ) Rifle Buffer /Spring , AR 10 Rifle Receiver Extension .

Basically if you keep to those parameters , they will be to spec's. & work correctly . Of course some other after market components can be substituted as long as they conform to the system being used .

Edited by survivalshop

Survivalshop, great explanation.  

Just to clarify, will an Armalite EC0120 AR10 Carbine H3 Buffer (5.4oz.) fit in #3 above?

​Is the Vltor A5 or UTG Pro 6 position .308 carbine receiver extension tube the same as the Armalite one yo mention in #3 above?

Ok , thats what I was thinkin and I'm going to go, and do that tomorrow.... 98z5V I appreciate your feedback and explanation...and thank you Survival shop for your expertise also. I do a lot of predator hunting with this weapon and need the fixed stock on the" hammer" .  I love this weapon especially if I surprise a bunch of hogs in a blind gulch...it may be the difference between tore up by hogs or cutting bacon strips..... 

Survivalshop, great explanation.  

Just to clarify, will an Armalite EC0120 AR10 Carbine H3 Buffer (5.4oz.) fit in #3 above?

âIs the Vltor A5 or UTG Pro 6 position .308 carbine receiver extension tube the same as the Armalite one yo mention in #3 above?

The H3 can work , I think most use it because of the weight , the Buffer is one of the components you can tweak to make the Buffer system more efficient .Thats why some go with the Armalite system .

Others may confirm , but the Vltor uses the AR 10 system , I'm not familiar with their system , they do have one odd ball system out there , don't remember the name of it , but I have no experience with it , but others here may know of it & may  use it .

The UTG , I have no idea what it takes . Here again , other here will know .

they do have one odd ball system out there , don't remember the name of it , but I have no experience with it , but others here may know of it & may  use it .

The VLTOR A5 system.  Specifically meant to convert a USMC 20" M16 to a collapsible-stock system. The end result is the USMC M16A5.

IMG_0471001_.jpg

Edited by 98Z5V

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Eric said:

After reading this thread, I figured out my mistake regarding my buffer...thanks guys.  I will get the .308 buffer tomorrow. Then test her out. And here is her pic. 

IMG_2042.JPG

Welcome to the forum Eric, feel free to post up in the intro section

• 3 years later...