• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New guy from Texas

Wolf81tx

Hi all. I live in central Texas and have built a few AR15's and figured I would try my hand at a 308 AR. Already have the lower put together and a upper receiver just have to get the rest of it as money allows. Also doing a second upper in 45 Raptor.

post-15866-0-41032300-1427357209_thumb.j

mrmackc That's cool! Have to get you here for a barbecue sometime.

washguy That would be awesome! I have been looking for a place that won't charge 3 arms and a leg to hunt something people are paying to get off their land in other parts of the state. I have 2 AR's that I built just for hunting. A 7.62x39 and a .277 Wolverine.

Edited by Wolf81tx

washguy That would be awesome! I have been looking for a place that won't charge 3 arms and a leg to hunt something people are paying to get off their land in other parts of the state. I have 2 AR's that I built just for hunting. A 7.62x39 and a .277 Wolverine.

Well crap...I thought YOU would have a good place to hunt down there   <laughs>   Wash

lol Sorry Wash everyone around here wants to charge $100+ for it. You can take as many hogs as you want usually but still. A few friends of mine north and east of here might be starting a hog removal business but that won't be for a few years yet.

lol Sorry Wash everyone around here wants to charge $100+ for it. You can take as many hogs as you want usually but still. A few friends of mine north and east of here might be starting a hog removal business but that won't be for a few years yet.

Heck lets go....spot and stalk...or under the feeder?    :) Wash

mrmackc That's cool! Have to get you here for a barbecue sometime.

We have a big ferrel hog population here lots of pecan orchards watermelons, peanuts and coastal Bermuda hay fields and lotsf of good bottom land cover. I was using a Mimi 14 good short range gun and also a 3006 Garand M1. The land owners don't like gun nuts and milita cowboys with black tactical rifles with 30 round mags from the city on their property.

I figured a AR308 would be better all-around deer & hogs and to keep the wolf from the front door. The big deals now are hog hunting from a helicopter. Buy into a half day hunt isn't too bad. We have several locals that hunt with dogs. Land owner like dog hunters.

Edited by mrmackc

The slur at non locals is not typical of all landowners, many of us that are considered milita  cowboy type and so called outsiders are any one that isn't a 4th or 5th generation land owner, or a doctor from big D or Houston.  They don't look back at some trio of doctor trophy hunters from Dallas or Fort Worth that will pay a couple of thousand to "Lease" 80 acres for a deer season, Then they will lease it to some other money folks for $100 / day to day hunt. Guess who are the ones that shoot old bossey with a sound shot from their .243 custom built Japanese B.A. beauty.

My best friend and hid buddies just got kicked off their 5000 acre deer lease...they had been on it for bout 8 years...the rancher told em he hated ruts on the property...rule #1...cause they dont go away by themselves....yep one guy put some ruts down this last season....the landowner kept his word...bye bye boys...come get your trailers ,feeders,and deer blinds!  If a Texas rancher explains the rules...you can be assured he will follow thru...yikes!    :) Wash

Yep That happened to my brother and me several years ago. We only had 320 acres of brush land .We leased it for hunting from Aug 1st for a full year down at Richland Springs. had it for six or seven years. We usually went down on Fridays during deer season but once went down on Thursday,caught the lock off the gate and found 4 day hunters. Went to talk to the land owner. He apologized. But the next year wanted 3 times the amount. Said he had some doctor that wanted to lease,he said "You probably need to move yourTravel trailers out next month." We had three feeders several stands and had an old ranch house we fixed the doors and cleaned the chimney & fireplace so we could cook and play cards inside in bad weather. We hauled our stuff off. The second day of deer season the new lessees burned the ranch house and about 100 acres of pasture. We told the land owner he may not of had such a good deal.