• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

head space problems

hired_gun

Hired   Well crap.... do that and let the handle fly... ill tell ya right now... you will have trouble removing the round from the chamber..as its tight and new...dont whack on the charging handle either. when trying to get the round out 

I think what you need is my old standby plan B... you take your rifle to the local range...and I know there's gotta be a know it all A-hole range officer. Unpack your rifle load up the mag,and then go over to the range officer and tell him you dont know $hit about this rifle and would he shoot it for you....there ya go  easy peasy    oh...stand behind him   :) Wash

<lmao>

Try a different set of gages & a different Dummy round,( make sure the case & COL are to spec's ) with out the Ejector installed in the Bolt . You can also oil up the bolt lugs & cycle the Action a few hundred times , maybe less , can be done with just the complete Upper Assembly , & check HS again . 

Edited by survivalshop

hired you got this going on      thats a LOT of coating it doesnt take much to fubar the function of bolt to chamber    :) Wash       

ar10-barrel-18in416rSSTbn-72dpi650x433rg    

bcg_blk_nitride_72dpi-6.JPG

NiB is a coating, brother.  Nitride isn't a coating, though.  That stuff in your example pics is nitrided - and that doesn't increase any dimensions. 

I know that - he said it.  Then you had to go and post a pic of a nitrided BCG...  <lmao>

Ha  I was gonna post a pic of the nib....but the nitride looked thicker   <lmao>   Wash

you think he has head space problems.....what bout mine?   dont answer that  ::)

Edited by washguy

Sounds , to me, as a gunsmith that the chamber is out of spec.   One way to tell is to make a chamber cast, and mike everything.   I'd bet the chamber is to small in dia, and possibly the headspace is off.

When headspacing ANY weapon, the operator should remove the extractor and ejectors.    Both can effect the headspaceing.

Respectfully

Terry

Yeah, but two different setups at the same time? The odds say no way. Something else is going on. I'm not bashing the OP, but this is the thought I would be having if I was in the situation. The only things common to both rifles are the issue and the builder. Sounds like you have a firm grasp on the procedure though, so who knows. I can't wait to hear the final solution.

• 1 month later...

Something I just noticed and I haven't seen it brought up yet...

OP say he's building a .308 rifle... BUT the pictures of a 5.56 BCG and barrel.

I'm not sure if they are what's being worked on or just for practical demonstration...

Could be the problem....

Edited by mrraley

Extractor , Must be a bad one or a very heavy spring . Sure it wasn't the Ejector you removed ? Just curious , I've never had an Extractor cause a Head Spacing problem , ya never know  <dontknow>

You are 100% correct.  My mis-thinking.  It was indeed the EJECTOR that I removed to rectify the problem.  

My bad and I apologize if I mislead anyone