• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

X-Caliber Barrel & MFG, Anyone know about these?

jtallen83

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may call tomorrow and see if I can do the same thing with a bolt, I like the idea of not having to mess with it myself. Wilson looks to be as good a price or better than most on BCG's, think I might go with the Nitride.

X-caliber either has some 308 barrels already in the process on my order or you're having to wait till they get a reamer for the .338. I sure wasn't planning on getting it all this quick......might have to sell a few goodies and get this build done!

The guys over at the precisionriflepodcast know some people over at D.Wilson mfg.  There was a discount code floating out there somewhere if you listened to the podcast.  You might be able to contact them through the fb page.

I don't do F-book......hope I can find it on the podcast page............I need all the discounts I can get!

IX-caliber either has some 308 barrels already in the process on my order or you're having to wait till they get a reamer for the .338.

Nah, I'm asking for a weird barrel, that's for sure.  .338 Fed, 1:10 twist, 14.5" long, AR15 midlength gas system, medium-weight contour, but 0.750" at the gas block. It doesn't get much weirder than that one...  <lmao>

I don't mind the wait at all - the other quote was up to 12 weeks.  When I cancelled, it wasn't even started yet.  I HOPE it takes 8 weeks, from next week - I need time to get all the other parts together.  Right now, I only have  stripped upper, stripped lower, and a rail...  <laughs>

Just checked out  precisionriflepodcast, Dustin from X-caliber does an interview there just a few podcasts back from the most current......I'm downloading them for my listening pleasure, couldn't wait to find the code, just ordered a BCG from d.wilson so I could get the bolt sent of to X-Caliber ASAP  <thumbsup>

Edited by jtallen83

• 2 weeks later...

Well CRAP! Despite my call and email X-Caliber shipped my barrel before the bolt arrived there :( Very fast for a custom ordered barrel but then I wasn't in a hurry, they shipped Fed-Ex the same day my bolt got there, I ordered it the afternoon of the 14th and it was delivered to my door today the 28th. Now I just hope they ship the bolt back right away so I can get the headspace checked myself before I go any further..#@%#*#*&@

Those look good. Let us know how they function.

Looks like the price hike for AR barrels is due next month with x-calibers web site update. Should only add around $25 to the price. The bigger increase will be for their Savage pre fit bolt action barrels.

Any photo's of the Barrel ?

Not yet, I'm out on the road for work and hoping the wife will have the barrel shipped back before I get home. Odds are it will be another week and half before I'm home at the same time as the barrel. Of course if the Mrs. doesn't get it shipped right away I'll grab some pictures this weekend.

Dustin at X-Caliber is great to work with, I didn't even have to ask about the barrel, in fact I had sent an email saying it was OK just ship my bolt back right away and I'd handle it but he insisted they headspace to it like he had promised. He hadn't heard of this site yet but promised they would be checking us out.

• 2 weeks later...

The barrel arrived on Tuesday so the turnaround was pretty quick. Here are some pictures;

post-12531-0-03538500-1439507544_thumb.jpost-12531-0-34221500-1439507559_thumb.jpost-12531-0-79016200-1439507570_thumb.jpost-12531-0-86087100-1439507588_thumb.jpost-12531-0-06539800-1439507612_thumb.jpost-12531-0-37269700-1439507624_thumb.j

The chamber is very smooth and the bore is like a mirror aside from the very crisp rifling. The matt finish appears flawless, very even all around. The roll mark is bigger than I like but then that will be hidden so no big deal. I was glad to see the dimple for the gas block is located so I don't have to worry about locating it. The crown looks good but the threads got damaged in shipping, the plastic guard was split so it took a good whack;

post-12531-0-70021200-1439507985_thumb.jpost-12531-0-76223700-1439507996_thumb.j

After the great customer service I hate to have to ship it back again, I'm thinking I can clean this damage up with a needle file....what say you all, try it myself or or bother X-Caliber about it? ???

I got my handrail today so I hope to get a chance to do a mock-up this weekend. I'm thinking I'll start another thread in the Matrix section and go over my parts list and where I need advice

Dustin from X-Caliber called me early this afternoon about the dinged thread. He offered to take the barrel back if I didn't want to mess with it or I could try to clean it up myself. If I try to clean it up and have problems they will still take it back. He also said that either way he will make sure I'm well taken care of on the next barrel for all the hassle <thumbsup>

I wish I could get a picture of the bore in this barrel, it is the slickest I have ever seen :banana:

• 5 weeks later...

I contacted Justin about my under-gassed issue on the Matrix build. They will not give out any port sizes but he offered to take the whole upper in and diagnose the issue.

"-What buffer system are you running? I am curious as to what might be happening since this is a first, but drill bits do get dull and maybe it is a little small? I will send you a shipping label for it?"

"I would be happy to get that back from you to check it. We do test our barrels before we do gas port sizes and make sure it works with carbine and rifle buffer systems and we do not give out the gas port sizes as those are valuable 
industry secrets so when people ask we do not answer the question of gas port size."

"-It could be the barrel but I might be able to diagnose it better with all your stuff in it."

I'm torn now, send it in or drill it out myself??????? I had to order a set of bits as nobody had them here in town.

Tough call. Might be a good idea to send it to them. Might be a learning experience for all concerned. Down side is that they may not know these weapons well. Also, as a brand new build, its hard to say it's one problem or another definitively. 308 builds are notorious for being sticky until broken in.