• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Blue builds a carbine

blue109

I'm off Thursday and Sunday so hopefully start the shakedown then. Went together pretty smooth. Was able to get hold of a field gauge and it locks up smooth on primed brass so I'll call headspace good. I had to notch the PRI rail to get the front sight to fold down. The AR10 sight is obviously a tiny bit taller than the AR15 version and didn't clear. Seems like something PRI would have addressed though? Criterion 16" barrel. DPMS BCG. 1St gen B5 SOPMOD. Mecharmor trigger. Kept the spikes comp from my 18" gun. It feels like the carrier key is bumping the gas tube a little. Its closing, but there's a rough spot. Havnt had the 1-6.5x on the range yet but It seems pretty nice. Also have the compM4 not being used so I tossed it on to see how it feels.

0326161342b.jpg

Edited by blue109

27 minutes ago, blue109 said:

I'm off Thursday and Sunday so hopefully start the shakedown then. Went together pretty smooth. Was able to get hold of a field gauge and it locks up smooth on primed brass so I'll call headspace good. I had to notch the PRI rail to get the front sight to fold down. The AR10 sight is obviously a tiny bit taller than the AR15 version and didn't clear. Seems like something PRI would have addressed though? Criterion 16" barrel. DPMS BCG. 1St gen B5 SOPMOD. Mecharmor trigger. Kept the spikes comp from my 18" gun. It feels like the carrier key is bumping the gas tube a little. Its closing, but there's a rough spot. Havnt had the 1-6.5x on the range yet but It seems pretty nice. Also have the compM4 not being used so I tossed it on to see how it feels.

0326161342b.jpg

If you havnt used the mech armor yet...you are in for a nice surprise....its becoming my fav trigger.   Wash

Trying to eliminate the obvious stuff before range test. I mentioned the carrier was bumping the gas tube. Peeking through the receiver it looks like the hole in the barrel nut may be a hair lower than the hole in the receiver, causing the gas tube to can't up slightly. Should be able to bend it enough to clear. just thought it was worth noting.

Edited by blue109

• 2 weeks later...

Updates: spoke to PRI about the interference issue with the front site. He told me they have a delta handguard that's 1/4" shorter and the one I have is designed for low pro setups. Good to know. 

I got out for a quick range session and rifle ran flawless. Started at the 50yd side because I had 2 new aimpoints to zero. The 200yd side got crowded and rain clouds were moving in so I didn't get any accuracy testing done. 

Only issue I had was with the mecharmor trigger. Would not pop steel cased or old surplus. Had 2 light strikes on SSA 168 but ran about 80 rounds of the SSA perfect so that may have just been the ammo. Both fired on the second try, but the steel was a no go. I don't plan on running steel, but it's nice to know you can, so looks like I may need to drop a SSAE in the 308. 

Also, kicks like a mule lol. Running the dynacomp now, but I'll be buying one of those muzzlebrakesandmore beast brakes soon as the next batch is done.

Either way, super happy with this gorgeous gun. I was expecting the usual growing pains, but ran perfect from the first shot.

On April 10, 2016 at 2:13 PM, blue109 said:

Updates: spoke to PRI about the interference issue with the front site. He told me they have a delta handguard that's 1/4" shorter and the one I have is designed for low pro setups. Good to know. 

I got out for a quick range session and rifle ran flawless. Started at the 50yd side because I had 2 new aimpoints to zero. The 200yd side got crowded and rain clouds were moving in so I didn't get any accuracy testing done. 

Only issue I had was with the mecharmor trigger. Would not pop steel cased or old surplus. Had 2 light strikes on SSA 168 but ran about 80 rounds of the SSA perfect so that may have just been the ammo. Both fired on the second try, but the steel was a no go. I don't plan on running steel, but it's nice to know you can, so looks like I may need to drop a SSAE in the 308. 

Also, kicks like a mule lol. Running the dynacomp now, but I'll be buying one of those muzzlebrakesandmore beast brakes soon as the next batch is done.

Either way, super happy with this gorgeous gun. I was expecting the usual growing pains, but ran perfect from the first shot.

I believe it was well known that this Trigger has issues with steel cased ammo , at least  I thought it was well known . I wouldn't know because I don't use the steel cased crap . 

The AR 10 Sight is higher then a std folding sight ?  Is that because of the Rear Sight you are using & it needed to match ?

I figured the trigger might have issues with the harder primers, but gave it a shot. My timney didn't work either. I don't plan on running junk, but I do want to know I can, so I think I'm going to try a hiperfire and move the mecharmor to a 5.56 gun. 

For the front sight....The matrix has a AR10 height receiver rail, which is obviously a little higher over bore than an AR15.  PRI makes a separate AR10 front sight to make up the difference when using a normal rear sight. Its only a tiny difference and the standard sight probably has enough adjustment to work, but I didn't realize there might be clearance issues so I bought the "correct" part for the build (that turned out to not be the best option) all worked out well.

Jury is still out on the 1-6. Glass is beautiful and eye relief is great but I only shot at 50yds. Its heavier than the aimpoint, and 6x isn't really that much magnification so I'll decide if it's a workable compromise when I start pushing out Or if I need to try something a little bigger. I still have the weaver tac 3-15 laying around but that thing is a pig. Rifle is too heavy for my small scale and too light for the big scale to get an accurate weight on it so I'll have to do it in parts when I get around to it, but it's sure not light.

Edited by blue109

• 2 months later...

Bam. Hipertouch 3gun. Want to try it out tomorrow, but it's suppose to be 117° or some insane ish, so maybe next week. 

Update: Hipertouch had no issue with herters steel cased .308 and 2 types of ancient crap milsurp. She's a keeper. 

PicsArt_06-18-02.26.23.jpg

PicsArt_06-18-02.28.13.jpg

Edited by blue109

2 hours ago, blue109 said:

Bam. Hipertouch 3gun. Want to try it out tomorrow, but it's suppose to be 117° or some insane ish, so maybe next week. 

PicsArt_06-18-02.26.23.jpg

PicsArt_06-18-02.28.13.jpg

Blue...Sweet lookin stick!   I think you are gonna really really like the trigger....Pow!     Did I ever tell you bout the time it was too hot to try out my 38 airweight snub?... living in an apartment...found a couple of phone books...set em up against the wall in my roommates bedroom.....sat down against the opposite wall

two handed grip between my knees... wearing shorts cause it was hotter than  heck....fired at the phone books not even  10 feet away.... you gotta know what happened    lol        Wash

Lol. That's awesome. Do you still have the scars? Plan on buying a new muzzle  device this week as well. Baby steps. 

Update:

Muzzlebrakesandmore tac-beast installed. It's great behind the trigger, but it's god-awful punishing to the sides. Like blowing crap off the bench sonic boom loud. It does work amazing for recoil though. Literally feels like a 5.56 gun. Standing mag dumps are easy.

PicsArt_07-02-05.55.08.jpg

Edited by blue109

Came with 3 sets of springs. I'm running the lightest for the strongest hammer fall. My understanding is its the same as the 24C but has a traditional trigger bow and no finger pad. My buddy has the C in a 5.56 gun and he likes the straight trigger, but the matrix has the fixed trigger guard and I didn't want to run into clearance issues.

2 minutes ago, blue109 said:

Came with 3 sets of springs. I'm running the lightest for the strongest hammer fall. My understanding is its the same as the 24C but has a traditional trigger bow and no finger pad. My buddy has the C in a 5.56 gun and he likes the straight trigger, but the matrix has the fixed trigger guard and I didn't want to run into clearance issues.

I got a fixed guard also in my current build, now issues with clearance on a ar15 lower 

• 1 month later...

Not really an update...but I just had a lightbulb moment while helping a buddy with a build and thought I would post it for posterity

I ran into clearance issues with the pri tube and FSGB. Armalite puts their gas port a little further out than DPMS. I assume they do this because the AR10 barrel nut is thicker than an AR15 barrel nut, and the longer port placement makes up the difference and allows usgi drop in handguards to fit. My matrix is the older AR10 pattern, so I ordered the AR10 pattern rail from PRI, but the barrel is DPMS pattern with the standard AR15 rifle gas port placement. the AR10 rail is probably 1/4" longer than the DPMS rail. I should have ordered the DPMS tube with an AR10 barrel nut and it would have been perfect. live and learn. 

Damn 308s.

• 3 months later...

Had a discussion on @98Z5V matrix build thread and I figured it would be good to put the info over here as well.

The matrix upper seems to be short a rail slot relative to other brand uppers. The flat section over the charging handle area is larger resulting in one less slot. The slots themselves seem to be in spec relative to each other, but the position of them look to be slightly different that a standard AR10. this won't affect most builds at all, but I'm using the PRI MK12 setup with a monolithic top rail designed to work with the AR10 and it's caused me some headaches. Basically the entire top rail is about half a slot too far forward. I had to do some minor grinding at the corners of the top rail due to some interference with the barrel nut. I was sitting at about 2 MOA on the range with good factory ammo and I think this may have been part of the issue. Also upgraded to an ADM scope mount. Everything feels nice now and I have room to spare where the interference was so hope I got it sorted. 

PicsArt_02-19-10.48.45.jpg

PicsArt_02-19-10.39.50.jpg

PicsArt_04-30-03.28.28.jpg

Edited by blue109

On that same note of Matrix Aerospace receiver sets...  Live Free Armory is using a different design now that they are branded as their own sets.  Not the exact same as the old Matrix sets anymore.  See this link for visual detail dfferences:

http://www.livefreearmory.com/product/matrix-aerospace-m-762-receiver-set-15-key-mod-hand-guard-and-lower-parts-kit-cerakoted-fde/