• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Gonna Start Accumulating

lasher

i used to reload shot shells on progressive Mecs decades ago. want to load up some brass now, which means starting from scratch. i've read/compared/analyzed till my gourd is over  stuffed with data. i already have what i consider to be a good brass source, once i put a bigger dent into the stash. gonna load the following;

1. 5.56 with the 77gr bullet

2. 6.8 with 110gr bullet, maybe 115gr

3. 308 in the 150gr zone

i have multiple chambers in each caliber to load for, so will be loading more or less, a factory round. won't be loading for the ultimate group, just for decent accuracy.

will be using S&B brass for 6.8. have 6 chambers to load for

will be using IMI brass for the 5.56 and 308 with multiple chambers in each

i'm thinking the dillon 550 or the lock and load will fill my needs/wants. not factoring in the press and extras looks like sub 30 cents a round is an average cost. not going to start loading to "save" money, altho for the 6.8 and the 308 the cost will be lower, but really just to keep busy doing something i enjoy.

so, Dillon or the Lock and Load? help sway me off center <lmao>

Edited by lasher

I reckon a Lee precision  hand loader in each size isn't in your plans? 

I would probably go with either the Dillion, or maybe a Lee progressive with several changable turrent plates.

don't know much about the Hornie Lock and Load, looks good.

Or.........

How about a CAMDEX Rapid Auto Loader or three? (http://www.camdexloader.com/)

Camdex, Inc - 2330 Alger Troy, MI 48083 - Phone: 248-528-2300

RapidAutoLoaderMain.jpg

Even if you aren't interested, check out the videos at their website, very interesting!

...Or just $hitcan all your reloading stuff and put in a franchise request from Federal Cartridge  or join the Department of Homeland Security procurement section, and siphon off some of their excess purchases.

Edited by mrmackc

Single stage would be my first choice to recommend , but you have loaded with a Progressive press before , so you have experience in reloading . Go with a Progressive , I prefer the Dillon 550B , only because its not auto indexing & that makes adj. much easier , but nothing wrong with a progressive auto indexing press ether . 

I remove any auto primer feed on all my presses , because I hand prime everything. In the photo below I have about four different Calibers being loaded ,not to mention playing with 308AR's  <thumbsup>  My Dillon 550B can be set up to load every thing but 9mm & 380 , witch I do on the very very old Lee 1000.

Single stage I use for target or hunting loads because I load them one at a time through the whole loading process or primer pocket swaging or collet bullet pulling , just the way I do it , I have 100% control over what goes on & can inspect every one through each stage of reloading , not to mention using a digital scale to hand weight each round .

post-11255-0-01380100-1438102495_thumb.j

In my experience, Hornady 75gr BTHP projectiles are slightly more accurate than Sierra 77gr BTHP projectiles.  Same powder charge for both, as well as for the Barnes 70gr TSX, with the powders I use.

In my experience, Hornady 75gr BTHP projectiles are slightly more accurate than Sierra 77gr BTHP projectiles.  Same powder charge for both, as well as for the Barnes 70gr TSX, with the powders I use.

good to know, care to divulge your recipe?

While I have been using the Lee Loadmaster progressive for 9 mm, I have been using the Lee Classic Turret press for everything else, even though I have the Loadmaster tuned pretty well.  Even the primer attachment on the turret works well and is very controllable.  It isn't quite as fast as the progressive but I was able to load 100 45 ACP in about 35 minutes start to finish.  Take out the indexer and it works very well for the .308 and 30.06 that I hand prime, measure the charge with my Lyman Gen 6, and set and crimp on the press.  I feel a lot more comfortable with the finished product this way, but then my wife is suggesting I border on OCD when it comes to reloading (which I wouldn't mind if she wasn't a psychologist!). <dontknow>

Lasher, get the progressive. I started on an RCBS 4x4 30 years ago and never looked back. Just take your time and LEARN. Watch the youtube videos on reloading, get a couple loading manuals and ask lots of questions.

Cautions: 1.) Get a case gauge for each rifle caliber. USE IT. You'll never have to say thank you for that bit of advice. 2.) Wear safety glasses. 3.) Have fun.

Shooters' Pro Shop has a great deal on Dillon equipment.

http://www.shootersproshop.com/catalog/product/view/id/7242/s/dillon-rl-550b-reloading-press/category/2/

Lasher, get the progressive. I started on an RCBS 4x4 30 years ago and never looked back. Just take your time and LEARN. Watch the youtube videos on reloading, get a couple loading manuals and ask lots of questions.

Cautions: 1.) Get a case gauge for each rifle caliber. USE IT. You'll never have to say thank you for that bit of advice. 2.) Wear safety glasses. 3.) Have fun.

Shooters' Pro Shop has a great deal on Dillon equipment.

http://www.shootersproshop.com/catalog/product/view/id/7242/s/dillon-rl-550b-reloading-press/category/2/

He's a ghost, couldn't be bothered to try and get along. Thanks for trying to help him though.  <thumbsup>

I read Rob's post first thing tonight, and kinda knew it was this guy.  I figured because I wouldn't GIVE him my info - that's been posted several times before - that he blew his ass-gasket.  <lmao> 

I need to go find out where he shiit himself...  <laughs>

• 2 weeks later...

I reckon a Lee precisionà hand loader in each size isn't in your plans?Ã

I would probably go with either the Dillion, or maybe a Lee progressive with several changable turrent plates.

don't know much about the Hornie Lock and Load, looks good.

Ã

Or.........

Ã

How about a CAMDEX Rapid Auto Loader or three? (http://www.camdexloader.com/)

à Camdex, Inc - 2330 Alger Troy, MI 48083 - Phone: 248-528-2300

RapidAutoLoaderMain.jpg

Ã

Ã

Ã

Even if you aren't interested, check out the videos at their website, very interesting!

Ã

...Or just $hitcan all your reloading stuff and put in a franchise request from Federal Cartridgeà or join the Department of Homeland Security prociurement section, and siphon off some of their excess purchases.

For a reason I figured the guy was a wannabe blowing smoke so I blew some back, he never caught fire. (several chambers of several calipers)

Edited by mrmackc

• 5 months later...