• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Best factory 5.56 precision rig

blue109

Buds dad is a fudd, but he's started to show interest in evil blackness. He's a bench guy and a reloader and wants to make itty bitty groups, and possibly take it hunting so no 24" heavies. Range between 100 and 500y. Probably no further, and usually under 400. He wants 5.56. He wants complete factory gun, no building. He wants it soon so no massive backorder guns. Budget is ballpark 2000. He read a good review of the FN 18" sporter that got his gears turning. What are some other ideas for me to feed him? I already got him looking at stag and RRA on the low end and PRI. 

That M6 is nice, but not really what he's looking for. He didn't specify, but I'd assume he wants DI. I don't mess with those auction sites though.

Why DI, don't want to get into the same old debate, but piston driven AR's ROCK! Cleaner, more reliable, can't imagine why if you could have one why you wouldn't want it?

Don't get me wrong, DI is just fine as well and just as reliable, if, you are a good steward and do the due diligence of routine cleaning and maintenance.

And IMO Gunbroker is awesome, I have picked up a few nice rigs from there, no different than ebay, you can tell if the guy is a guy you wanna deal with from feedback, anyway, I am G2G on that deal! ;-)

IMO there are many fine rifles in that price range; LMT, LWRC, GAP, Daniel Defense, Knights Armory, Noveske, LaRue, BCM, etc. But get the LWRC!!!!

Edited by GreyGoose

The 20" ultramatch LMT looks nice, but I doubt it's any better than the RRA guns for 1k less once you start working loads.

Meh... Heads and shoulders better Blue.

Now 1K is a subjective thing to be certain, but the LMT is just in a different league altogether than the RRA, although the RRA is by no means a bad rifle, the quality, fit and finish on the LMT is a different animal.

IMO

For a mil spec AR15 RRA does a nice job.  If you look closer you'll see that LMT goes above and beyond mil spec.  Go to the parts section and search for barrel pics.  You'll see how the gas system is part of the barrel.  The upper receiver and handguard appear to be one piece design.  I've never shot an LMT, but they sure look like great rifles.  That said, the RRA NM is the most common rifle by far at our service rifle competitions.  For the money you can't beat it.

Nice rifle for sure, and I wouldn't mind owning one, but you are paying for features not really desired. This guy is just going to the range, and occasionally out to the woods. No need for milspec+. That gun is in OBR price territory without all the OBR range reports to justify it. I passed it along, but I don't see any benefit for him over guns at half the price. 

Wish I could convince him to let me build him something, but he wants a gun in a box ready to run. 

Nice rifle for sure, and I wouldn't mind owning one, but you are paying for features not really desired.

That's not the way I'd have worded it!  More like "paying for features that I want but don't need".  :)

For the price conscious, RRA is a very popular option.  Typically they offer a nice balance of price and quality.

Brother, you know I'd vote for a complete PRI Mk12 upper, on anybody else's complete lower, for the guy.  However, the complete DD Mk12 is a bad MoFo.  Check it out when you get a chance.

https://danieldefense.com/firearms/daniel-defense-mk12.html

Daniel Defense MK12

Comes in a gray color, too.  Sick.

Daniel Defense MK12 (Daniel Defense Tornado)

I'm not usually one to pimp complete rifle, but this fucker is badass...

The evolution of the SPR comes home to Daniel Defense in the MK12.  Born of necessity, raised in the Army’s Marksmanship Unit and refined to Daniel Defense Mil-Spec+ standards, it is now available.  

The MK12 is constructed around an 18-inch Stainless Steel barrel with a chamber created during the Cold Hammer Forging process, which ensures the most precise alignment of the chamber to the bore possible.  This, along with being salt bath nitride finished, equates to unprecedented accuracy and durability.  The MK12 barrel is engineered with a rifle-length direct impingement gas system and utilizes the MK12 gas block, which is built to Crane Specifications for USSOCOM.  The MK12 gas block is precision CNC machined from 416 stainless steel and Black Oxide Coated.  The rifle is fed with a M16 profile bolt carrier group and uses a Vltor Mod 4 charging handle for ease of operation.  The upper receiver is equipped with a free floating DDM4 Rail 12.0™ quad rail for allowing your choice of optics and accessories and is finished off with a Daniel Defense Improved Flash Suppressor.  

The MK12 was designed from the ground up to be a precision rifle, therefore it required certain refinements.  We equipped it with the Geissele SSA® 2-Stage Trigger to give the marksman an advantage delivering precise fire to the target.  We also furnished the MK12 with the newly designed, rugged and comfortable Daniel Defense Buttstock and Pistol grip.

MATERIALS & CONSTRUCTION

• LOWER RECEIVER: Mil-Spec with Enhanced Flared Magazine Well and Rear Receiver QD Swivel Attachment Point. CNC Machined of 7075-T6 Aluminum,   Type III Hard Coat Anodized
  • UPPER RECEIVER: Mil-Spec with Indexing Marks and M4 Feed Ramps. CNC Machined of 7075-T6 Aluminum, Type III Hard Coat Anodized
  • BARREL: Proprietary Blend of Stainless Steel, Cold Hammer Forged, 1:7” twist, 18″ MK12 Profile, Salt Bath Nitride Finished, and HP/MPI tested
  • GAS SYSTEM: MK12 Low Profile Gas Block CNC Machined of hardened 416 stainless steel with Black Oxide Coating, Rifle-Length, Direct Impingement
  • MUZZLE DEVICE: Daniel Defense Flash Suppressor, 17-4 PH Stainless Steel, Salt Bath Nitride Finished
  • BOLT CARRIER GROUP: M16 Profile, Mil-Spec MP Tested, Chrome Lined, Properly Staked Gas Key
  • BUFFER: H Buffer
  • SIGHTS: Sold Separately
  • HANDGUARD: Daniel Defense DDM4 Rail™ 12.0, CNC Machined of 6061-T6 Aluminum, Type III Hard Coat Anodized
  • RECEIVER EXTENSION: 6 Position Mil-Spec 7075-T6 Aluminum
  • BUTTSTOCK: Daniel Defense Buttstock, Glass Filled Polymer with Soft Touch Overmolding
  • PISTOL GRIP: Daniel Defense Pistol Grip, Glass Filled Polymer with Soft Touch Overmolding
  • RAIL PANELS: Daniel Defense Rail Panels made from Santoprene, heat resistant to 300° F.
  • Made in the USA!

WARRANTY STATEMENT

All Daniel Defense products carry a 100% satisfaction guarantee against defects in original materials and workmanship. If your Daniel Defense product shows evidence of such defects, Daniel Defense will make every accommodation to fix, repair, or replace your product in the most expeditious manner possible. Daniel Defense does not warranty products or damage caused to our products by the correct or incorrect installation of other manufacturer’s products. Be sure to retain your sales slip as proof of purchase date when making a claim.

Additional Information

Manufacturing # / SKU02-142-13175-047
Restricted ShippingYes
Caliber5.56mm NATO
Gas SystemRifle
Product Weight7.41 lbs
Length34 ¾” – 37 7/8”
MagazineMagpul PMAG 20-Round
CaseDaniel Defense Full-Latch Impact Plastic Case
ManufacturerDaniel Defense

• 2 months later...

My top two choices would be.

http://jprifles.com/1.2.2_JP15.php

http://www.precisionfirearms.com/48m8/pf-223-wylde-match-rifles.html

I know people want what they want and they usually have their reasons but if I were you I would try until I'm blue in the face to get him to change his cartridge choice to 6.5 Grendel. It just does everything so much better than that 223.