• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

LANCER L7AWM 20rd Magazine Reviews

jtallen83

The new 10 rounder was waiting for me when I got home but the follower is just a hair smaller than the other 10 rounder, no functioning in my Matrix build. The 20 round follower in the 10 round body still has a bit too much slop to function every time, better but not good enough. I'm not sure if Lancer intentionally made these with more slop to handle debris but the extra follower tilt takes these 10 rounders out of the mix for my matrix. I've hit a dead end trying to get a Ruger bolt catch to try so I may have to swap these for magpuls and have something that functions in both my rifles. 

If you remember , I had a CMMG that would not work reliably with first PMags, worked fine with any metal mag & the Lancer's , until they came out with the Gen 3 & it worked . This is the trouble with no 308AR spec's thats industry wide . 

Did you try the Armalite A Bolt Stop ?

Edited by survivalshop

24 minutes ago, survivalshop said:

Did you try the Armalite A Bolt Stop ?

Nope, I think I'm going to call it a loss and just use what works. I love the Lancer design but that little extra slop in the 10's adds enough to the tolerance stacking to take them out of the mix for me. They 20 rounder works fine so I'll keep it in and just stick with magpuls that work in both rifles, already have two separate mag types with my AR-10B in the rotation so I don't want three separate mags to keep track of.

1 hour ago, jtallen83 said:

Nope, I think I'm going to call it a loss and just use what works. I love the Lancer design but that little extra slop in the 10's adds enough to the tolerance stacking to take them out of the mix for me. They 20 rounder works fine so I'll keep it in and just stick with magpuls that work in both rifles, already have two separate mag types with my AR-10B in the rotation so I don't want three separate mags to keep track of.

Do you have any ten round magpul? If not I got a couple you can try next time your home let me know and I'll mail them down to you

13 minutes ago, washguy said:

That's a bummer.....all lancers that I have are 10 rounders and they work flawlessly in every 308 that I own.... Wash

if the tens arnt fde ill buy em from ya?

Both FDE translucent, new one has already been traded for a P-mag. The remaining one pictured here that I trimmed the top edge of the follower guide on to get the catch to pass is supposed to go back. Lancer sent a return label for it but since they sent the same thing as a replacement not sure if I'll bother sending it back to them or not.

• 2 months later...

Wanted to love the L7 magazines.  Bought 40 of them in smoked grey for my unit.  Was unable to use them in our M110's or knight armorments AR10 reliability.  The followers were not staying level and with the leangth of the LR and MOD2 ammo the rounds consitantly got stuck nose down in the magazine causing failure to feed. Made sure it wasn't just a bad magazine and tried out about ten of them all of them were eventually doing it causing failure 25% of the time.  Without the magazine being curved and the leangth of the ammo it just didn't work.   Compounding factor may have been operation temp outside of around 15-20 deg F, but magazine appeared to be acting the same when brought inside to 70 deg.  Very sad had to exchange them all for PMags...   any thoughts? 

1 hour ago, MZ 1 said:

Wanted to love the L7 magazines.  Bought 40 of them in smoked grey for my unit.  Was unable to use them in our M110's or knight armorments AR10 reliability.  The followers were not staying level and with the leangth of the LR and MOD2 ammo the rounds consitantly got stuck nose down in the magazine causing failure to feed. Made sure it wasn't just a bad magazine and tried out about ten of them all of them were eventually doing it causing failure 25% of the time.  Without the magazine being curved and the leangth of the ammo it just didn't work.   Compounding factor may have been operation temp outside of around 15-20 deg F, but magazine appeared to be acting the same when brought inside to 70 deg.  Very sad had to exchange them all for PMags...   any thoughts? 

What was the specs on the ammo? 

Welcome to the forum feel free to tell us about yourself in the intro section

1 hour ago, MZ 1 said:

Makes me wonder if they recently changed something? Do the measurements match those I posted in the beginning of the thread or are they closer to the 10 rounders that I got recently? I've shot lots of M118 LR out of my earlier L7 without issue. You may want to contact Lancer, they were very accommodating for me.

9 hours ago, MZ 1 said:

What capacity ?  Just curious .

I have a couple 10's I haven't tried yet , but all my other 10's & 20 rounders work fine . Kinda crazy , but then I think about all the stuff posted here on what works & what doesn't & it doesn't surprise me.

I have had issues with the Gen. 3 ,LR PMags , had to send two back , they would stick in the Mag well & had feeding issues , in all my 308AR's . It was from their new facility after moving , so it was probably a production issue , no problem getting replacements that work fine . I started a thread on it around here somewhere .

The issue or difference between the two , as we all know is ,the Feed Lips , that is where any Plastic mag will fail , the Lancers eliminate that potential issue , but for a price , thats for sure . There are many gunners that will flat out not use a Plastic Mag in their Rifle , true its their loss , but thats the way they feel safe to use Steel only . The Lancer is an answer to some of these people , some still will not use a Plastic Mag , no matter what it has on the feed lips .:laffs:

Having the Follower not follow the Cartridges the full length of the Mag , could be several issues . I would have had Lancer figure out the issue , could have been a bad batch of Springs from a supplier, in any capacity mag. , the weakest part of the spring is with the Mag empty & if its weak at the end , an out of spec or weak spring to begin with , will have the potential to cause issues . The Bolt catch would be one of them .

• 4 years later...

I found my lockback problem was caused by light ammo and a new rifle. The action on the G2 DPMS was a little stiff out of the box. It would fail to lock back on the last round with 147 gr PMC but worked fine with my 175 gr reloads. I have about 75 rounds through it now and  it is locking back fine. The Lancers are really nice mags and I won’t use anything else in the G2. The Pmags won’t function at all in my rifle, the rounds sit too low and the bolt either completely fails to pick them up or barely catches resulting in a stove pipe. All of the DPMS steel mags had to have the lips bent a little for them to function.

Save yourself a lot of grief, get the Lancers you won’t be sorry!

Survival shop, I have 2 10 rounders and 1 20 rounder. I can’t duplicate the malfunction you described with the ammo going nose down in the mag. I tried to manually cause the ammo to get stuck in the mag nose down. The little boogers simply could not be made to stay nose down.

Others don’t seem to have the problems I had with the Pmags and the DPMS metal mags. Looks like the results of various mags and rifle combos are unpredictable and all over the place. The Pmags are 100% non-functional in my rifle and all the metal mags I tried had to be tweaked.

• 3 weeks later...

My kid & I both love Lancers for our AR15's, but I got him acouple 25 round Lancers for his 308 Springfield Saint & he says it won't stay seated.  Every shot they fall out, even if there was only 1 round left in.  I read somewhere another guy having trouble getting his to seat at all, he filed a bit off & then it worked fine.  I ordered a 20 rounder for when I get my build done to see if they are any better.  I'll probably order a 25 rounder too just to compare.  I also ordered  a couple Pmag 25 rounders and some Hexmag 20 rounders.   I really like my other Lancers  so I hope these work out.

I’ve had Lancer, E-lander, OKAY mags fall out of AR15(s) until I adjusted the mag catch.  I typically stick with Duramag stainless and Magpul 20 round mags for the AR10 and Ike’s .308.  No problem with them ever.