• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

LANCER L7AWM 20rd Magazine Reviews

jtallen83

If you're using Lancer mags please join in with some feedback here.

The Wife got me a Lancer L7AWM 20 round mag for an anniversary gift today. Well made mag by appearances, even has a slot underneath the floor plate for draining water or you can move the lever over and it closes it up for dusty conditions. The FDE is a good match for both my Magpul FDE and the Midwest Industries FDE. Fits easily and drops free in both my Sig 716 and my Matrix build.
Measurement for C.O.A.L. is 2.85 inch compared to a M118 P-Mag at 2.835 and a standard gen 3 P-Mag at 2.825. It also has steel on the front to prevent the groove wearing in that I'm starting to see on my P-Mags.

100_5304.thumb.JPG.837dd09ba538f4cc8e368100_5305.thumb.JPG.2b6ef4e496e9c7219fb6a100_5306.thumb.JPG.51be1c71d316cf1eea9be100_5308.thumb.JPG.bb3da4d19ad5560d61fe3

With winter storm putting down 12 inches of snow I won't be test firing it any time soon but while doing a function test I did see a concern. The Lancer does not raise the bolt catch very high;

100_5301.thumb.JPG.87ecd2a4760718f9547ae

Compared to a P-Mag;

100_5303.thumb.JPG.5bfe29b75da7bbe68174e

The P-mag pushes it all the way up while the lancer doesn't even push it up enough to cover the whole bolt lug. It would seem to be a spring strength issue. When I take out a P-Mag and place the Lancer in the follower will rise up and touch the bolt catch where the P-mag left it, it just won't push it up that high on its own. The follower moves very smoothly on the Lancer so it does not appear to be a break-in issue. This might not be an issue at all but it appears the P-mag grabs the bolt with much more authority.

I like the Lancers more then Pmags , hard thing to say , but they work flawlessly in my CMMG Lower , where the first Generation 308 Pmags , will not . The Gen. III Pmags do seem to work in the CMMG , but I have done limited testing with them so far , I seem to just grab the Lancer's for the CMMG .

I have no problems with BCG locking back on last round with the L7's

I liked the L 7's so much I bought a bunch of their AR 15 Mags & like them also .

• 6 months later...

Anybody have anything bad to say about the L7AWM mags?  They are pricey, so I have just been looking so far.  I just ordered 5 of the L5AWM-20FDE for the PWS MK114, figured I would wring them out before ordering L7 variety for the 308 ARs I have since they are abut 3x more $.  I like the idea of metal top ends on the Lancers though.  Prolly get some L7s if the L5s work out... the Seekins SP10 has a pretty tight mag well, the PMag M118s I got don't like to drop out unaided.  I was hoping the L7s might remedy that.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
7 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Got a Lancer L7 10 rounder for Christmas. Odd deal, it works fine in my 716 but will not hold the bolt open on my Matrix build after the last round, does fine when I pull the charging handle back. Odd part is the Matrix runs fine with the 20 round Lancers.

Kinda bummed me out.........

Thats interesting , I have not had a chance to try my 10 rounders as of yet . 

25 minutes ago, Robocop1051 said:

The way I see it, you only have one option.... package them up and ship them to me. Heck, I'll even pay for your shipping costs. I'll make sure they get taken care of properly. I figure it's the least I could do. 

Since it runs fine in the 716 I think I'll keep it, but appreciate the offer;)

I still have some investigating to do as to why it isn't working, might be fixable.

Spent some time trying to figure out why my Matrix build doesn't like the 10 round Lancer. Took the lower off and inserted the mag, noticed right away the slot the back of the follower runs in was not letting the catch swing past it. I trimmed a bit of plastic out of the way and filed off the metal, follower activated the catch then.

100_5509.JPG

100_5514.JPG

Here is the twenty rounder, what the ten round looked like before I trimmed;

100_5506.JPG

Took them to the range but no love, twenty rounder works fine, ten rounder would not lock the bolt back. Back to the drawing board and what I should have done first thing, MEASURE! The follower in the twenty round mag is 2.946 inch while the ten round follower is 2.914. The distance from front to back inside is 2.982 inch in the 20 rounder and 2.986 inch in the 10. This gives the 10 round follower .072 inch of slop and the 20 round .036 inch of slop. When I put just a little pressure on the middle of the 10 round follower the catch falls down behind it;

100_5515.JPG

Doing the same thing on the 20 round follower does nothing;

100_5516.JPG

As you can see there isn't much holding the catch on the 20 but it seems to be enough to keep it reliably locking the bolt back. Now to email Lancer and see if they can get me a bit larger follower for the 10 rounder, if I hadn't cut and filed on it I could have just returned the damn thing. Broke a cardinal rule, always measure before cutting!

Didn't try it, by the measurements there would have been a bit less play. It appeared to me that the differences were minor but consistent between the two with the tolerances of the 20 rounder being tighter all around. I'll be comparing the measurements and fit of all three when I get home next month, just arrived in sunny Florida this afternoon. 75, humid, and sunny in Pensacola, 15, cloudy and windy back home in Iowa..........:thumbup:

I have always enjoyed St Augustine.  My wife and I were last there back in 2009.  It was her first time and she was all over Old Town every day.  

Looking on going back to Florida this Spring.  I've always wanted to go check out the manatees on the way to Tampa to see her family.