• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Noobie. Hello from the last frontier! (HELP)

CrashOverRide.308

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright fellas,

I've been away for a bit shopping  around for deals. Has anyone tried the Tactical Government Mid-Length Barrel, Modern Series?

Whats the difference between the mid-length barrel and the rifle length barrel?

Just bought a new Ballistics Advantage .308 18" Govt Tactical profile with a mid-length gas system. Haven't installed it yet, since I don't yet have an upper to put it on. Got the barrel for $144 yeehaw

Sweet!.

my barrel is actually on its way as we speak. Should be here before the end of this week. Also got a Odin Works adjustable gas block also be here this week. And purchased a SS wilson Midlength gas tube with a roll pin will also be here this week.

Now I purchased a Handguard for my upper. Just found out that it not a low profile rail and its a high. Made it just in time to contact the seller on Gunbroker to cancel before he sent it. I know the low profle is a new/popular thing.

I've tried looking everywhere and I have no clue where I can get a high profile key mod/M-Lok rail. Any of your guys have any input. I just got off the phone with one of the sales at MatrixAero and theirs are low profiles. Any ideas fellas?

I've tried gubbroker, Schuylerarms, Palmetto, Brownells, Aimsurplus etc..

Looking for a 15'' rail/handguard DPMS somewhat under $150?

2 hours ago, CrashOverRide.308 said:

Im in Anchoragr, AK

Maybe a generous donation? '; )

A generous donation to me?  No way..im here to help you...but you could donate to the forum            eye poke emoticon       Wash

Edited by washguy

When building the 308.

What kind of issues should I be looking for before the range and at the rang? 

Basic diagnostics? I saw a youtube vid about an AR15 but does that apply to the AR10? A little worried. I saw a clip on youtube about another amateur gunsmith/builder he had all sorts of malfunctions. 1st the rifle did not cycle, didnt fire more issues on cycling. Cried about it through the whole video blamed everything on parts and the rifle itself. Recommended that everyone should not buy any ar308 stripped or parts and buy one already pre-made. He claims this has never happened to him as he built 2 AR15s.

Made me wonder.

If you have any experience. What should I look for and how?

Edited by CrashOverRide.308

If you use quality components there should be no issues . I will only use same manufacturers Receivers set , we see problems with tolerance stacking issues when using different manufacturers Upper & Lower Receivers . When you do its a crap shoot , some work & mate well some don't .  I have had good experiences with using DPMS manufactured Lowers & Tactical Machining Upper Receivers , but had issues with what Magazine was used in an early CMMG Lower & SI Defense Upper receiver , which since has been alleviated by MagPul coming out with the Gen 3 Mags for the 308AR , the combo will not function reliably with the first Gen PMag.

Some BCG's are also causing some issues , the NIB coatings on some manufacturers BCG's are too thick or out of spec. & can cause issues before breaking in with round count .  

You have to realize there is no MilSpec on the 308AR's out there , so no spec's on how each component is manufactured like the AR 15 . Some manufacturers make their products proprietary , so you need their components to have the rifle function correctly or its fitment . 

Buffer assembly is also something you want to pay attention to , stick with the same group of components , DPMS or AR 10 , keep the system components all one or the other & you will be good , mix & match can cause issues.

Since you are building a Rifle , from various manufacturers components , some fitment may be needed , you don't have the luxury of a Manufactured rifle that the manufacturer has spent $$ on R&D to make sure all the Components fit & fiction together , so a production line worker can assemble & it goes out the door a somewhat flawlessly working rifle .

You are basically a custom gunsmith making a custom rifle & experience is what will make a reliable rifle . If you read the build section , you will see a lot of issues that come up & most are easily remedied & some are not .

5 hours ago, CrashOverRide.308 said:

So I recently purchased a "blem" BCG from Dwilsonmfg here on the for sale thread. It comes with a gas key. What is the gas key for?

So you can put gas in it;

BCG.jpg.eb22d1f494a4d18fe2ff005644a01bcbtransfers gas from the gas tube to inside the carrier where it pushes against the back of the bolt.

On 3/17/2016 at 4:06 PM, CrashOverRide.308 said:

Thank you for your input. 

Will have to take lots of notes.

Crash    Have you ever shot or held an AR of any kind? Have you ever field stripped one?   you must remember this a weapon that can kill you hurt you...kill someone else hurt someone else

assembling an AR of any caliber takes more than... NOTES         ...you must have some working knowledge of how an AR works,and how its assembled

Wash

5 minutes ago, washguy said:

Crash    Have you ever shot or held an AR of any kind? Have you ever field stripped one?   you must remember this a weapon that can kill you hurt you...kill someone else hurt someone else

assembling an AR of any caliber takes more than... NOTES         ...you must have some working knowledge of how an AR works,and how its assembled

Wash

Im in the process of putting one together now. Was never a huge fan of ARs because they reminded me so much of the rifle and pistols Storm Troopers used. But thought I join in on it and see what its all about. I shot an AR15. Just wasnt kicking hard enough so opted out for the 308 and loved it. Doing as much research as much as I can when family and work permits me.

Havent field strip it yet. Im assuming it would be the same as putting it together vice versa. 

Ok everyone. I have quite a few things coming in the mail.

BCG from Dwilson should be here either today or tomorrow. gas tube w/roll pin from midway, and a durable "cheap" rail either friday or next week.

i'd like to thank everyone's input on this build of mine and my noob-sance questions. JT, Wash, Shepp, Survival, and everyone I may have forgotten to mention has been a GREAT big HELP! I almost want to say it is complete. Maybe the rifle. But I still need to get it spaced by a GS and see how well the rifle will function. Hoping it functions great at the range. Little to or no malfunctions at all. I will post pics of before and after and pics at the range.

Any issues I run across I will post it here for answers that I cannot fix on my own.

Once again. THANK YOU!!

Crash

Edited by CrashOverRide.308

And on bad range days, like when you can't go because of a death in the family or you need to go into work on payday, spend some time catching up on the new stuff here. and spend some time on UTube, there are many good how to do videos. Like this one:

Awesome. 

Thank you sir. 

Another question that a buddy and I were discussing at work. He mentioned that I need to have the broken in? How does one do that? He also mentioned about If I shot different brand bullets and grain. It can ruin my bore? Say what? That I need to only stick to 1 brand and specific grain? That doesnt make any sense at all. He is either kidding with me or he doesn't know what he is talking about.

What do you guys think?

4 hours ago, CrashOverRide.308 said:

Awesome. 

Thank you sir. 

Another question that a buddy and I were discussing at work. He mentioned that I need to have the broken in? How does one do that? He also mentioned about If I shot different brand bullets and grain. It can ruin my bore? Say what? That I need to only stick to 1 brand and specific grain? That doesnt make any sense at all. He is either kidding with me or he doesn't know what he is talking about.

What do you guys think?

Yea that's not correct info. When your ready to shoot make sure you got her lubed up good tho like wet wet, like a coed in a banana factory wet

4 hours ago, CrashOverRide.308 said:

Awesome. 

Thank you sir. 

What do you guys think?

New Build is not like a factory rifle where their R & D has come up with proper manufacturing of components for an assembly line that can assemble the Rifle & it function out of the gate . You are the R & D , assembler & Gunsmith , to make the proper fitment of said components . Some of & even some Factory rifles need a break in for proper function of the Action . Run it Wet is our motto here for break in , no matter where the rifle comes from or is built .

It is some what true that most rifles like or should I say shoot better with certain ammo , saying that , most if not all , will shoot just about any 7.62x51/308 , just the Barrel/Chamber will prefer one bullet/charge more then others . It is also true that using a steady diet of high pressure ammo will degrade the service life of a Barrel . 

Your fast Shepp

Edited by survivalshop

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 2:11 PM, CrashOverRide.308 said:

Sweet!

Will go back and sign up for their newsletter. Thank You.

Does the armorer wrench come with the barrel? I read somewhere that sometimes the manufacturer will provide the wrench. If not. I need to put an order in for it. That way I have everything ready to go. If not. Will an AR15 wrench suffice?

No, it does not come with a wrench (I used a pipe wrench with a cloth around the barrel nut, blasphemy!!! ). I bought that AP 16" barrel for my last build. Fits perfectly.