• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Noobie. Hello from the last frontier! (HELP)

CrashOverRide.308

I am entirely new to the AR system.

I'm going to start building an AR10. So far I have ordered both the Matrix Aerospace upper and lower combos (stripped) along with a lower parts kit.

I'm only worried about the tubing and the barrel. My concerns are: Do I need to do anything special to the tubing and the barrel? Is it only required by a gunsmith?

I have heard its more complicated with the barrel, because you have to make sure everything lines up and you have to "gap" it correctly. If not all hell will break lose? Is this true? I thought it would just be a plug and play once everything required is installed. What do I need to look out for? What should I expect? What tools do I need? I'm doing some reading. But there isn't much to go off of. Experience builders. I am in need of your expertise.

Thanks in advance.

If i've posted this in the wrong section I do apologize.

-Alaska

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome from AZ!

You would do better posting questions in the manufacturer-specific subforum here:  http://forum.308ar.com/forum/126-matrix-aerospace/

It is also best to realize that, when speaking 308ARs, it is best to stick to the correct terminology.  Asking about the proprietary AR10 will get you proprietary AR10 answers, asking about the correct model will get you the correct answers.

Welcome from southern wisconsin

Not sure why you men by tubing? But you will need a barrel nut wrench, some companies send a tool with theirs to be used on a torque wrench. You will also need an upper vise block. As for "gaping" I assume you mean head spaced, and yes it will need to be properly head spaced, either you can buy the gauge to do so or have a smith do it

Welcome from AZ!

You would do better posting questions in the manufacturer-specific subforum here:  http://forum.308ar.com/forum/126-matrix-aerospace/

It is also best to realize that, when speaking 308ARs, it is best to stick to the correct terminology.  Asking about the proprietary AR10 will get you proprietary AR10 answers, asking about the correct model will get you the correct answers.

aright.Thank you sir

Welcome from southern wisconsin

Not sure why you men by tubing? But you will need a barrel nut wrench, some companies send a tool with theirs to be used on a torque wrench. You will also need an upper vise block. As for "gaping" I assume you mean head spaced, and yes it will need to be properly head spaced, either you can buy the gauge to do so or have a smith do it

I meant the gas tube? But anyway. How much of headspace is needed?

Welcome to the forum.  Like you, I built a 308AR as my first build.  Everything I needed to know was found on this site, so just look around and keep reading.  The folks here will help you spend your money, but they will also help you spend it wisely.  Last fall I built my first 308AR and this season I put three whitetail bucks in the freezer with that rifle and the ammo that I hand loaded.  It makes the meat taste really good!  The down side is that I have now built 2 AR-15s and am looking at other calibers to add to the storage cabinet, wait, there is nothing down about that!

Welcome from Delaware... When I built my lr308 I ordered my barrel from rainier arms.  I sent them my bolt and they checked the headspace for me.  I'm sure if,you order your barrel from a reputable dealer they would do the same.  This is the place to ask questions, lord knows I had many along the way and was greatly helped by the members of this site.  Feel free to ask away..

Welcome from Delaware... When I built my lr308 I ordered my barrel from rainier arms.  I sent them my bolt and they checked the headspace for me.  I'm sure if,you order your barrel from a reputable dealer they would do the same.  This is the place to ask questions, lord knows I had many along the way and was greatly helped by the members of this site.  Feel free to ask away..

awesome. Thank you. Lots of questions. If I purchased and BCG wouldnt it already be spaced?

Welcome from Iowa....via North Carolina.

No, it needs to be checked. Sent my bolt to the barrel maker for headspacing as well.

I see.
They don't make it easy on you. But hey. Its the point of building.

Now, Please forgive me. But the seller that I bought from Central Florida Firearms stated that it cannot be mixed and match. If I decide to go with DPMS. It has to be DPMS Barrel and BCG vice versa with Armalite. (Both receivers are made by Matrix Aerospace Blems. $199.99) I've been looking at DPMS. Now I've been on DPMS website but Im not sure if its just "down" or they've decided not to update it ever. So its hard to find a DPMS barrel parts. I was on aimsurplus and looked up DPMS they have tons that says (DPMS STYLE) Should I go ahead and be confident and buy it? same with the BCG down the road. Same with the handrail/guard. Im just super confused by these "DPMS Style" Clearly there is an actual DPMS website but its just pointless going on there for anything. any insight on this would be GREAT.

I see.They don't make it easy on you. But hey. Its the point of building.

Now, Please forgive me. But the seller that I bought from Central Florida Firearms stated that it cannot be mixed and match. If I decide to go with DPMS. It has to be DPMS Barrel and BCG vice versa with Armalite. (Both receivers are made by Matrix Aerospace Blems. $199.99) I've been looking at DPMS. Now I've been on DPMS website but Im not sure if its just "down" or they've decided not to update it ever. So its hard to find a DPMS barrel parts. I was on aimsurplus and looked up DPMS they have tons that says (DPMS STYLE) Should I go ahead and be confident and buy it? same with the BCG down the road. Same with the handrail/guard. Im just super confused by these "DPMS Style" Clearly there is an actual DPMS website but its just pointless going on there for anything. any insight on this would be GREAT.

yes that's what he meant by DPMS, there are a few proprietary "styles" DPMS being the most popular, then armilite AKA AR10, then there are a few others like rock river arms. 

So yes your looking for DPMS style

I see.They don't make it easy on you. But hey. Its the point of building.

What Shepp said on the barrel/BCG combo. Another thing to watch for is the handguard connection/barrel nut. My Matrix blem was an Armalite thread pattern but if I remember correctly they were in the process of changing to all DPMS type threads. You'll want to know for sure before you buy a handguard, Chris should be able to tell you what you have if there is a question.

What Shepp said on the barrel/BCG combo. Another thing to watch for is the handguard connection/barrel nut. My Matrix blem was an Armalite thread pattern but if I remember correctly they were in the process of changing to all DPMS type threads. You'll want to know for sure before you buy a handguard, Chris should be able to tell you what you have if there is a question.

Chris and Lori mentioned the ones they have are DPMS. It requires a DPMS castle nut only.

Here's another one. About the ejection/dust cover, Forward assist and Charging handle. Are they all pretty universal for the .308? Or is there a specific one made for different brand rifles? Ive tried googling. But nothing really comes up about it.

As far as I know the dust cover is the same for all the 308's, might be an outlier in the mix but the Matrix uses the standard 308 size, check out the Strike Industries cover;http://www.strikeindustries.com/shop/index.php/products/rifle-accessories/ar/upper-parts/ultimate-dust-cover-for-308-656.html#.VseyN_IrKCg it was a tight fit in my Matrix but with some light sanding I now have a great fit. Charging handles are the same thing with just a few more oddballs in the mix, as far as I know the odd ones are all piston driven. Forward assist is a different animal, I think it is just as dependant on the carrier used as it is the receiver. I bought one that was listed as "308 AR specific" but it locked the bolt forward on my Matrix/d. wilson combo. I've read a standard AR 15 FA will work in most but I ended up going with a delete plug.

I see.

Im a noob to all these rifle components. Doing as much research as I can.  I've seen others how to install all the lower receiver components and upper receiver components. But there isn't any installation of the BCG installed? How is this done may I ask?

this is for an ar15 but same concept, may help answer some questions

this is for an ar15 but same concept, may help answer some questions

Nice.. Thanks a bunch man. Will be looking into this vid for reference. What do you guys think of this BCG in a matrix? Jtallen, Shepp?

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XAIMBCG308NIBBDG&name=AIM+.308%2f7.62x51+BDG+NiB+Bolt+Carrier+Group&search=bolt+carrier+group

Any ideas where I can find something in stock for an 18' DPMS pattern barrel? A lot of the sites Ive been on are sold out or out of stock

Trying the best I can to go with a budget build. May I ask JT. What kind of BCG and barrell did you go with your Matrix?

Got the barrel made by Ex-Caliber Barrels;http://x-caliber.net.revlis.arvixevps.com/ar-10   

Bought the NiB BCG from d. wilson; http://www.dwilsonmfg.com/store/p18/AR10_Bolt_carrier_Group.html

I'm not sure I would go with X-caliber again due to the gas port issues and the way they dealt with it here on the forum;

Here is the thread with more of my build details;

http://forum.308ar.com/topic/11710-jts-matrix-build/