• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Noobie. Hello from the last frontier! (HELP)

CrashOverRide.308

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice.. Thanks a bunch man. Will be looking into this vid for reference. What do you guys think of this BCG in a matrix? Jtallen, Shepp?

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XAIMBCG308NIBBDG&name=AIM+.308%2f7.62x51+BDG+NiB+Bolt+Carrier+Group&search=bolt+carrier+group

Any ideas where I can find something in stock for an 18' DPMS pattern barrel? A lot of the sites Ive been on are sold out or out of stock

My shooting buddy put one of those AIM Surplus BCG's in his Matrix build along with a 16" Ares Armor (now American Weapons Components) Barrel

The combo shoots well, Cycles smooth with no issues whatsoever, I have to say it went together surprisingly trouble free - even the forward assist worked

properly (standard generic AR15 F/A) we did however install the F/A with a 2.5mm dia roll pin.

My shooting buddy put one of those AIM Surplus BCG's in his Matrix build along with a 16" Ares Armor (now American Weapons Components) Barrel

The combo shoots well, Cycles smooth with no issues whatsoever, I have to say it went together surprisingly trouble free - even the forward assist worked

properly (standard generic AR15 F/A) we did however install the F/A with a 2.5mm dia roll pin.

Thats great!

Thats the BCG Im looking to go for. Now for the barrel to match it up. Thinking about a 16" but I'm going to go the 18" route for long shooting/hunting. Im sure I will suffice with the 16" for a few 100-200 yards but a 1 time buy for an 18" will do great.

Thank you for your input and experience Guru.

Jtallen, Shepp, Guru!

I was reading up on the gas tube and "adjusting" it. How often should you adjust for the right ammo? When do you adjust? Is there a 1 time adjustment for different grain ammo? Or is it just a constant adjust for different types of adjustment? I've seen FringeSniper on youtube who adjusts his to 4 clicks (Hex screw) then I saw Hickok45 adjust the ar10 back and forth between 2 types of ammo. 3 clicks for brazilian .308 and 2 clicks for federal?

Sorry for all the questions that has been ask 1000x's.

I assume you mean adjusting the gas block? There are adjustable gas keys that can be put on the bolt carrier but adjustable gas blocks are a much more popular method of adjusting the gas pressure. The adjustments for the gas block would depend on several factors, barrel length, gas system length, type of adjustable gas block, type of ammo,...these would be some of the factors and I'm sure I'm missing something obvious. 

You don't actually need an adjustable gas block if the rest of the system is in good order, for straight up dependability in a self defense rifle I wouldn't use one. They are most often installed when a suppressor will be used so the gas can be backed off to avoid too much gas from the back pressure. I'm using one on an AR-15 build in order to use a lightweight BCG and buffer system, tuning it for minimum recoil so the little grandkids and the wife will enjoy shooting it, that and the 3-Gun guys claim you can get back on target faster and I love shooting fast ...........but when the bills for parts come in the wife thinks it is all for her ;-)

I assume you mean adjusting the gas block? There are adjustable gas keys that can be put on the bolt carrier but adjustable gas blocks are a much more popular method of adjusting the gas pressure. The adjustments for the gas block would depend on several factors, barrel length, gas system length, type of adjustable gas block, type of ammo,...these would be some of the factors and I'm sure I'm missing something obvious. 

You don't actually need an adjustable gas block if the rest of the system is in good order, for straight up dependability in a self defense rifle I wouldn't use one. They are most often installed when a suppressor will be used so the gas can be backed off to avoid too much gas from the back pressure. I'm using one on an AR-15 build in order to use a lightweight BCG and buffer system, tuning it for minimum recoil so the little grandkids and the wife will enjoy shooting it, that and the 3-Gun guys claim you can get back on target faster and I love shooting fast ...........but when the bills for parts come in the wife thinks it is all for her ;-)

What do you mean If I don't need a gas block if everything in the system is in good order?

If you decide to go with the aerospace sign up for their news letter they have sales on them all the time!

Sweet!

Will go back and sign up for their newsletter. Thank You.

Does the armorer wrench come with the barrel? I read somewhere that sometimes the manufacturer will provide the wrench. If not. I need to put an order in for it. That way I have everything ready to go. If not. Will an AR15 wrench suffice?

What do you mean If I don't need a gas block if everything in the system is in good order?

You need a gas block just not an adjustable gas block, two different animals. Here are links to examples of each that I've installed;

Standard - https://geissele.com/super-gas-block.html

Adjustable - http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=57_103_104&product_id=123

There are different methods of attachment, set screws that lock into dimples in the barrel, pinned, clamp, and clam shell clamp. 

Sweet!

Will go back and sign up for their newsletter. Thank You.

Does the armorer wrench come with the barrel? I read somewhere that sometimes the manufacturer will provide the wrench. If not. I need to put an order in for it. That way I have everything ready to go. If not. Will an AR15 wrench suffice?

One free float rail I know comes with the wrench is Midwest Industries; https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=189

I can't say I've heard of a barrel coming with nut or wrench. The wrench you need for the barrel nut will depend on what you get for a rail.

One free float rail I know comes with the wrench is Midwest Industries; https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=189

I can't say I've heard of a barrel coming with nut or wrench. The wrench you need for the barrel nut will depend on what you get for a rail.

Awesome thank you sir. lots and lots to read.

Welcome from Delaware... When I built my lr308 I ordered my barrel from rainier arms.  I sent them my bolt and they checked the headspace for me.  I'm sure if,you order your barrel from a reputable dealer they would do the same.  This is the place to ask questions, lord knows I had many along the way and was greatly helped by the members of this site.  Feel free to ask away..

Thank you Faxon. I will let you know. 

Question about the gas tube. 

I was reading somewhere on this forum that if you don't install the gas tube on the rifle it becomes "bolt action" kind of and the shooter has to charge the handle to load another round.  Will this affect the performance of the rifle? Will it lose velocity/fps of the round? Would it damage any internal mechanisms? 

Performance , No gas signal to the Carrier Key/BCG , makes it a single shot & manually operated ejection & Feeding  ( basically a Bolt Gun ) 

If you can't shut Gas from coming out of Barrels Gas Port ( Adj. Gas Block , that can completely shut Gas off ) it will blow back toward the Shooter , a FF Hand Guard that covers the Gas Block may help , still might get a little warm under there .

Thank you Faxon. I will let you know. 

Question about the gas tube. 

I was reading somewhere on this forum that if you don't install the gas tube on the rifle it becomes "bolt action" kind of and the shooter has to charge the handle to load another round.  Will this affect the performance of the rifle? Will it lose velocity/fps of the round? Would it damage any internal mechanisms? 

That is correct. If you remove the source of energy for reciprocating action of any semi auto rifle, it will become a "bolt gun". 

Yes, it will effect performance of the rifle, either helping or hurting it depending on if you opt to cover the gas port. 

Covered - Velocity will increase slightly. 

Uncovered - Velocity will decrease depending on size of hole and distance of the barrel past the gas port. 

If one is going to create a "bolt gun" we strongly recommend that one covers the gas port. Doing so will increase the velocity, but will also remove a supersonic "pop" from the expelling gasses if shooting suppressed. 

That is correct. If you remove the source of energy for reciprocating action of any semi auto rifle, it will become a "bolt gun". 

Yes, it will effect performance of the rifle, either helping or hurting it depending on if you opt to cover the gas port. 

Covered - Velocity will increase slightly. 

Uncovered - Velocity will decrease depending on size of hole and distance of the barrel past the gas port. 

If one is going to create a "bolt gun" we strongly recommend that one covers the gas port. Doing so will increase the velocity, but will also remove a supersonic "pop" from the expelling gasses if shooting suppressed. 

I see.

Not that i plan on going with a bolt gun it was just an interesting subject.

On another note. JT, when you purchased your matrix lower and upper. Were they kind of tight to pull apart? The front is tight for mine. When installing the locking pin to hold down the upper receiver it wouldnt go in by hand. I had to hammer it in. It wasn't too much of hard hammering. One good hammer and it went in. Maybe thats the "blem" part of it? But other than that trigger group, safety and upper kit went in like a breeze.

You can see how tight the upper receiver goes in looking at where the front plugs in. Scraped off the coating. Not necessarily having to hammer it in.

12794832_1714511512150437_1770019137254095974_o.jpg

12764589_1714511058817149_2492631837980021515_o.jpg

VERY tight in the front especially. I didn't need to drive the pin with a hammer but it was close. It was real challenging to get the front tabs slid together the first few times, wore the finish some at the joints as well. Once together it moved just fine, no wiggle at all!