• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

KnewB

JRoss

Hi , just joined and have a new dpms style ar308. 10 rounds fired and gas block failed. It had not functioned properly from the 2nd round fired. Thinking it was a short cycle problem from a  leaking gas block. I attached a pic of the end result after the 10 rounds I fired. It is a .936 aluminum block. I am new to the ar 308 so hoping to learn from you all here.  Waiting for replacement gas block from the company that assembled the complete upper. Any tips on installation would be fantastic.

Gas Block.JPG

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum from Michigan. Sorry to hear about the failure. Did you.or a friend build it or is it a factory weapon?

Only pic I took. It is a clamp style block and the two  8-32 screws came loose and the block spread  open to a gap of about 3/4". Its a single shot charge handle action now.

Welcome from AZ!

Hard to tell from that pic. Can you post some more?

Jross     Welcome to the forum !   im sure if its a standup company they will take care of it. I was just reading a couple of days ago about why a poster didnt like aluminum gas blocks...because the gas port erodes fairly fast... yours just wasnt installed properly.. ...ive always used steel gas blocks   ....from what I can see in the pic you will need a belt strap wrench to unscrew the handguard...and you will need a  308 dpms claw to hold the upper in a vise....you should ask the install co if they used locktite on the handguard threads?  Your gastube could be bent too  ...why dont you just ship it back ?           Wash

Jross     Welcome to the forum !   im sure if its a standup company they will take care of it. I was just reading a couple of days ago about why a poster didnt like aluminum gas blocks...because the gas port erodes fairly fast... yours just wasnt installed properly.. ...ive always used steel gas blocks   ....from what I can see in the pic you will need a belt strap wrench to unscrew the handguard...and you will need a  308 dpms claw to hold the upper in a vise....you should ask the install co if they used locktite on the handguard threads?  Your gastube could be bent too  ...why dont you just ship it back ?           Wash

The company sent the block USPS and the tracking number shows it could be here tomorrow. I was able to tap the block and tube off and the tube looks straight but might just replace it if is loose in the block when I reinstall it to the new block. Good info to know about the erosion factor of the aluminum. I will keep the factory part configuration and see if it works properly before I do any changes (easier to diagnose any problems with the tech people at the factory). If I can I like to do my own work so that's why I am not shipping it back. Do you know if there is a specified torque on the 8-32 screws? I think its like 90 inch pounds?

If possible install a slip on .936" gas block with one or two hex nuts on the bottom. 

Ok you mean to use them as a lock nut to keep the screws from lossening?

Thanks for the welcome.

If the one they send messes up I will reconsider the option of steel and a set screw type then. Just don't want to stray from original configuration for the time being.

Welcome from soutern wi

i had a clamp on do the same thing no more clamp on's for me

Welcome from the SunShine State .

That looks like a Clam Shell type of gas block , two piece ? If its not , its broke in half as was said . A clamp on type DSCN2480.thumb.JPG.e7958789e98c9b98cdbcc

will slip over the barrel , with two or more bolts to clamp it on the Barrel . I like Steel Clamp on type ,but have Aluminum ones also that work fine , not sure the length of service compared to the Steel , but I don't remove them much at all to inspect . Once they are sealed by carbon of firing , I don't like to break that seal .

I don't believe there will be much erosion if there is any , because the Gas Port hole in the Gas Block is larger then the Barrels Gas Port & most gas goes directly into the Gas Tube , which is Stainless Steel  .

JR  Good for you on doing it yourself ! If I can I like to do my own work so that's why I am not shipping it back. Do you know if there is a specified torque on the 8-32 screws? I think its like 90 inch pounds?  90 inch pounds sounds bout right....Oh...you will prolly need to take off the muzzle device if there is one...take note of its position....the builder prolly used locktite on the handguard threads...ask them....heatgun needed if they did         Wash

Welcome from the SunShine State .

That looks like a Clam Shell type of gas block , two piece ? If its not , its broke in half as was said . A clamp on type DSCN2480.thumb.JPG.e7958789e98c9b98cdbcc

will slip over the barrel , with two or more bolts to clamp it on the Barrel . I like Steel Clamp on type ,but have Aluminum ones also that work fine , not sure the length of service compared to the Steel , but I don't remove them much at all to inspect . Once they are sealed by carbon of firing , I don't like to break that seal .

I don't believe there will be much erosion if there is any , because the Gas Port hole in the Gas Block is larger then the Barrels Gas Port & most gas goes directly into the Gas Tube , which is Stainless Steel  .

Thanks!

I received the replacement part in the mail today. Took a better picture of what happened, original part had the short screws (2) and the replacement has the longer screws. I did mention to them longer screws would help. So it could be possible the original had the wrong screws installed and explains why the block did not hold.

Gas2.JPG

I received the replacement part in the mail today. Took a better picture of what happened, original part had the short screws (2) and the replacement has the longer screws. I did mention to them longer screws would help. So it could be possible the original had the wrong screws installed and explains why the block did not hold.

Gas2.JPG

werevthe threads stripped out on the original screws? 

The Aluminum that they are using looks awfully soft to flex like that , but the 308 does have some power & it showed it on the Gas Block . If it was me , I would looking into another  Manufactures Gas Block as soon as I could afford it . I have three 308AR's with Clamp on Gas Blocks with out issue .

If the threads stripped out in the GB , why would a Manufacturer think putting longer ones in ,would make a difference or they were stripped by over tightening them from the get go at the Factory .

" The Aluminum that they are using looks awfully soft to flex like that , but the 308 does have some power & it showed it on the Gas Block"

Survival...but of course it looks cheesy/soft...its Chinese aluminum....no insult to anyone but most of  our stuff comes from there....I used to deal with a Chinese dist. that had gas blocks that looked just like this one...  its most always the Chinese threads and screws that suk....... its sad but true       Wash    

I did some snooping around...Bravo Co  gas blocks are made in the USA (steel) ...and a few others all machined in steel

I like this place BTE made in USA       http://www.bte-usa.com/#!gas-blocks/c1wvt

Edited by washguy