• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

KnewB

JRoss

JRoss      

I took the extractor apart and see it has 2 springs and an O-ring. A smaller spring slips inside the larger spring and the O-ring around the larger spring. Did not know it used 2 springs...............

Bingo....we have had some threads on feeding issues and some were guided to look at the extractor...only to find out it had too many springs along with the doughnut made the extractor not work properly ....but you got upper problemos...Oh did I say permatex is awesome?...lol you gooed up the gas block ...come on man...who are those morons? give it up        Wash

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree.  The people that made the upper MORE than deserve to have their name in lights.

My student who had the issues with Hogan's triple cost POS should have sued them, after the multiple factory returns and Hogan's laying blame on everything from the ammo to the owner's ability to shoot/clean/over clean/hold a rifle/etc.

DPMS 308AR Extractors have a two spring arrangement as you described with the smaller diameter on inside the larger one & as was said above, that O-ring could cause feeding & extraction issues . If its too tight , the base of the Cartridge can be prevented from entering the recessed Bolt Face . If the Cartridge makes it into the Chamber & is fired , the Extractor may hold onto the spent Case too long & it will sit in the action to prevent the next round from the Mag. from being fed ( FTF )

Assembled bolt with original parts but with some lapping and minor polishing. Lubed generously during assembly. Fired 3 more rounds with 1 round in mag. Bolt stayed open on all 3 rounds fired and were ejected at 3 o'clock. Checked gas block screws and they were both tight. Went back inside as the wind was blowing crazy with rain blowing sideways, maybe tomorrow it will calm down and I can load a mag and try again.........or maybe right now..... but its dark and still blowing rain around, better wait.

Thanks survivalshop for the research on the DPMS 308AR Extractor! I might have to remove the oring then if things go bad.

19 hours ago, washguy said:

Jross.      Way to go.....its fun when it all works out......prolly will be fine...you can always reduce spring tension....but just firing rounds will loosen the extractor up

If its locking back...you are golden.    Wash

Shot 4 more rounds and still not right. All fired from 1 round in mag only. 3 did not eject from bolt, they were grabbed and pulled out of chamber completely but did not exit the bolt. The 4th round ejected but at about 4 o'clock. 20 rounds total fired in rifle. Patience is a virtue with this rifle!

On 3/12/2016 at 9:54 PM, JRoss said:

I might have to remove the oring then if things go bad.

and it did...Sumbitch......extractor prolly...you are close though...you didnt change ammo of course.... " Patience is a virtue with this rifle! " aint this the truth!

When the 4th round ejected...was the bolt held back?         Wash

Edited by washguy

6 hours ago, JRoss said:

Yes 4th round bolt stayed back

Jross you can limp wrist an ar just like a handgun...was it still raining and you just firing with the rifle not shouldered? If thats not the case I would look at the bolt ejector/extractor area...sounds like it getting enough gas....try it one time without the doughnut or with doughnut less inner spring  ..or maybe you got some shavings in there too...hows the gas block holding up?...thats a concern                  Wash

7 hours ago, washguy said:

Jross you can limp wrist an ar just like a handgun...was it still raining and you just firing with the rifle not shouldered? If thats not the case I would look at the bolt ejector/extractor area...sounds like it getting enough gas....try it one time without the doughnut or with doughnut less inner spring  ..or maybe you got some shavings in there too...hows the gas block holding up?...thats a concern                  Wash

I am taking your advice and will be looking into the ejector and extractor. I have not seen any shavings and the headstamps all look normal. The gas block screws are staying tight so far. I have some torque seal which you may have seen before. It is a special paint used on bolt or screw heads. Once applied to the head it dries and if the bolt or screw is tampered with or becomes loose the paint will show a crack. Once I get the rifle figured out I will put some on the screw heads just for a reference.

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 1:47 AM, slugger43 said:

I'm with Wash on this one.  Feed problems?  The round had to be in the chamber to fire and blow the gas down the barrel through the grossly over-sized gas port into that piece of crap gas block.  Mag problem?  80% lower problem?  What a load of BS!  Like Wash said, who are these morons?  I'm fairly certain nobody ever had a bad magazine cause a split gas block.

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 3:17 PM, washguy said:

So Jross you went from a crap Chinese gas block made from an aluminum clamshell covering an over size gas port...to a non feeding rifle?...blaming everything on your stuff?  okay its time to know who these morons are ?      Wash

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 2:49 AM, survivalshop said:

What does the mag well have to do with the Gas Block Issue ?   Nothing ! 

Ok so I have had enough of this company. I have given them enough time to respond to my last email and they have not responded. So I was building the marquis to put there name in lights and it could be a good show or a bad show. It is a bad show!!! I do not recommend this company to anyone except an enemy. If you have followed this thread you know what has been going on with the denial process and the blaming  issues. These people are idiots, morons or both and also just plain stupid. They have no business being in business. If there are any blacklists I can add these POS numb nuts SOBs to please let me know or help yourself in adding them along with myself. Below is a link to there POS website. Oh and guess what? they don't  give out their telephone number either! Gee I wonder why? the POS SOBs!

http://www.blackthorneproducts.com/

What's up with the damn warning about .308 products, on Black Thornes home page, not being shipped for 7-14 days? Why would it take 7-14 days to ship .308 parts but not AR10 parts? And then there is this at the bottom of their homepage "All items are as is.". I would have RAN just seeing that. If you really want to read some crap, read the contradiction in their return policy. Sorry about your trouble JRoss. Thanks for telling us who they are. You may have a saved a lot of people a ton of grief. <thumbsup>

Edited by beantown

9 hours ago, blue109 said:

Notoriously the worst company in the game. I'm actually amazed your rifle works as good as it does. 

Yes I am too now but taking it apart and getting help from the people here was a good reason. after 10 rounds it blew the gas block free of the barrel. POS rifle from the factory

7 hours ago, JRoss said:

Yes I am too now but taking it apart and getting help from the people here was a good reason. after 10 rounds it blew the gas block free of the barrel. POS rifle from the factory

Send in back for a full refund if possible & start over . If not, there are plenty of ideas in this thread to help you make the rifle work reliably . We are here to help fellow 308AR owners & builders .

57 minutes ago, washguy said:

Survival   those diks over there arnt gonna give him a refund...especially since he put permatex  on the barrel at the gas block...i bet that crap will leave a mark?...they will blame his 80% lower till the cows come home      Wash

I know I was going to say contact the BBB but I know they'll blame it on the lower. 

2 hours ago, JRoss said:

Maybe I should email them a POS letter just because they deserve some sort of recognition for their ass wipe merchandise. Any suggestions on material .......oh wait might get banned for my real opinion ;) 

Nah we know they're a garbage ass company I wish we could have steered you away from them