• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

sharp Faxon barrel extension

82HALO

Hey Nathan! Need some input on my Faxon 308 barrel extension on the mid weight 308 20" barrel I have. All the edges on it are very sharp! Enough to cut you! Do they all come this way or was something missed on this one? Some of the guys here think I should send it back for you to check. Others say to hone and polish it myself.Can i do this without effecting the warranty on the barrel?

20160126_173918.jpg

20160126_173057.jpg

Yeah, but you don't want those locking lugs on that bolt slamming into hardened steel razor blades at high speed over and over, do you?

After 500 rounds , they won't be that sharp any more . 

Can anyone tell me how Barrel Manufacturers dull the Machining of the Barrel Extension after the Machining process ?  Since most Barrel Makers do not make their own Extensions or do they ?

Can anyone tell me how Barrel Manufacturers dull the Machining of the Barrel Extension after the Machining process ?  Since most Barrel Makers do not make their own Extensions or do they ?

I don't know.

I do know however how we broke sharp edges on things like 17-4 valve castings, after the machining process.  We used a pencil die grinder with either a Cratex bit or (most preferred) a 1/8" shank flame burr, double cut.  It would be best to conduct this operation prior to mounting the barrel extension in the rifle.

I would imagine vibratory de-burring and polishing, but who knows?

When i worked for Reliance we would tumble metal pieces in a cement mixer with ceramic media after they came out of the plasma tank.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks heminut, and unforgiven, glad to have a little time this weekend to work on it! Got it all together and will post a pic later. Put on the Fortis Switch rail for now but will be replacing it with an SLR later! Only things left to get for it is a muzzle break(Precision Armament EFAB), grip(Hogue) and bipod(Atlas).

54 minutes ago, 82HALO said:

Thanks heminut, and unforgiven, glad to have a little time this weekend to work on it! Got it all together and will post a pic later. Put on the Fortis Switch rail for now but will be replacing it with an SLR later! Only things left to get for it is a muzzle break(Precision Armament EFAB), grip(Hogue) and bipod(Atlas).

I got the 14" SLR Solo KM and really like it but I found these after buying the SLR. I think these are worth looking into and they're $100 less than the SLR. Fits the DPMS high profile.

http://www.buckeyetactical.com/juggernaut-tactical-12-free-float-super-slim-rail-hand-gaurd-quad-ar-15-ar-10-lr-308.html