• Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Chamber brushes?

• 2 weeks later...

I just ordered an IOSSO AR-308 Brush Set:

l_073000008_1.jpg

From left to right: Upper, Bolt Carrier, Chamber, Bore brushes. I've read lots of good things about the IOSSO brushes.

Also ordered up a Dewey .308 AR-Type Rifle Combo (mostly for the cleaning rod, didn't really want or need the bronze chamber brush, but it never hurts to have it):

l_234000021_1.jpg

I figure these brushes, a dental pick, Q-Tips, my PatchWorm (with .30 caliber felt "buttons" and 1.25" cotton patches), Ballistol, and some Otis O12-CU should make for a great little 308AR cleaning kit.

Edited by COBrien

The supposed downside to the nylon brushes is that they pick up and hold some grit, I'm not sure I buy in on that though. Hell the bronze brushes are worn out before anything can build up. Armalite is pretty clear on their recommendation not to use any plastic/ nylon brushes though.

I would think nylon/plastic would break down/ become gooey from solvents. I've always used the bronze brush and one of those fabric du-dads. Not like I clean or have a reason to clean my guns a lot, but I'm working on changing that

11 hours ago, shepp said:

I would think nylon/plastic would break down/ become gooey from solvents. I've always used the bronze brush and one of those fabric du-dads. Not like I clean or have a reason to clean my guns a lot, but I'm working on changing that

I haven't had any approved gun solvents break down the nylon brushes.  I use the Montana X-treme bore and chamber brushes, as the bristles seem to be thicker and more stout than other brands.

After first purchasing them (I think the store was out of any brushes made of metal in the caliber I needed), the difference was clear and astounding.  When you run a bronze brush down the bore the first time, it "sets" to that bore size.  Run a 9mm bore brush down a 9mm bore, then try cleaning a .38 or .357.  It kinda works but like when my ex-girlfriend returned from a "girls night out", not as much grabby friction there.

Not so with the Montana X-treme brushes.  The nylon springs back to the original diameter.  Over time the ends of the bristles where the strands were snipped become not as sharp as when new but they still work.

15 minutes ago, planeflyer21 said:

I haven't had any approved gun solvents break down the nylon brushes.  I use the Montana X-treme bore and chamber brushes, as the bristles seem to be thicker and more stout than other brands.

After first purchasing them (I think the store was out of any brushes made of metal in the caliber I needed), the difference was clear and astounding.  When you run a bronze brush down the bore the first time, it "sets" to that bore size.  Run a 9mm bore brush down a 9mm bore, then try cleaning a .38 or .357.  It kinda works but like when my ex-girlfriend returned from a "girls night out", not as much grabby friction there.

Not so with the Montana X-treme brushes.  The nylon springs back to the original diameter.  Over time the ends of the bristles where the strands were snipped become not as sharp as when new but they still work.

????????

I also like the Nylon or what ever they are made of , switched a couple years ago & see no ill effects on the Brushes . I still use the Phosphorus Bronze Brushes , but I also use Patches with them , so I screw them up pretty quick , I don't see that happening with the Nylon brushes . 

I have an array of S/S Brushes also , the reason is mostly for .22LR , because I have gotten some to clean that had never been cleaned in twenty years & the only reason they were brought to me was they quit working . Say or think what you will ,Rifling in the Barrel's were shinny afterwards worked & shot well .

I use the spray " Gun Scrubber " , the stuff thats ok on Plastic stocks & such . More expensive then Brake cleaner ( BC, two for one , when on sale at auto parts ) , But no worries if A2 Hand Guards are still on or Rail Covers on . 

Edited by survivalshop