• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Should I be concerned about this....

Fletch

2 hours ago, survivalshop said:

Myself , I would have been the biggest prick they ever met & would not have stood for the Machine markings on any of the components & would have told them the Lower receiver moving away from the Upper ( or what ever its doing ) is a danger to me & shooters around me & I want the rifle replaced or they would be hearing from Legal assistance , thats just me though , probably why I have never bought a Factory AR of any sort . Not that you can get bad ones , but if I build one that does that , I would expect those manufacturers to replace those effected components also & its all on me ,not relying on someone else to make that decision .

If Factory Armalites are being made to that new standard , they have come a long way to ruin a Icon in the AR industry & I hope they are reading these posts & maybe someone should send them a link to this Thread .

If your happy or satisfied with you decision & their lame excuses , thats OK too . Its your rifle & your decision , I think you did well .

LOL..I thought about that but decided against it. I have no desire to follow through on any legal threats so I figured I'd better not make any (threats) to start with.  I chose to leave it entirely up to them...they'd either do right and I'd be happy or they wouldn't and I'd sell the rifle (and never ever buy anything Armalite again). I'm actually pleased it turned out this way...I get to build another rifle and now both of my 308AR's will be the same platform instead of having one DPMS-pattern and one Armalite. Lesson learned!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Fletch said:

My serial number was A11-001xx

Thank you for that information, Fletch!

I assume lower receivers with serial numbers around A11-001xx are recent forgings. The A0020xx lowers, as I mentioned before, are around Sept. 2014 which surprised me at first since my rifle was assembled in Feb. 2016 and another AR-10A with a serial number within 14 of mine existed Dec. 2014. But when I talked to Tim Rooker of ArmaLite he said you can't date a rifle by serial number since they may have receivers pulled from stock for assembly that are new or a couple years old. That has to be true, that explains why my new AR-10A has an old SN.

Anyway, ArmaLite needs to look at their lowers, at least the new ones. It's possible only one lower is defective but I doubt it.

I'll certainly watch for any change in the fit of my receivers. The sloppy machining marks on the bolt are annoying but I doubt it will cause a problem. I wish AR-10 bolts were made of Carpenter 158 steel like their M15 bolts! But I haven't heard of many failures of AR-10 bolts over the years, even with the softer 8620 steel.

Edited by Quentin

• 4 months later...

My Tac16 has a similar gap between upper and lower, although not as severe. If it were fitted perfectly, you would get a mechanical lock and wouldn't be able to pivot the upper off the lower. I doubt the gap had increased as you say. If there was something wrong with it., Armalite would have fixed it. It's much cheaper to do so than have to deal with a lawsuit. 

image.jpeg

34 minutes ago, FreQRiDeR said:

My Tac16 has a similar gap between upper and lower, although not as severe. If it were fitted perfectly, you would get a mechanical lock and wouldn't be able to pivot the upper off the lower. I doubt the gap had increased as you say. If there was something wrong with it., Armalite would have fixed it. It's much cheaper to do so than have to deal with a lawsuit. 

Freq    Hate to ruin your understanding of what a quality ar308 or ar15 for that matter should look like.... you said.."If it were fitted perfectly, you would get a mechanical lock and wouldn't be able to pivot the upper off the lower"  bullcrap on that statement ... Ive got many ar308's and they are so tight you can hardly see the line separating the upper and lower... and they pivot fine....i wouldnt own a piece that looks like yours...but thats just me :fullauto:   Wash

5 hours ago, FreQRiDeR said:

Sadly, that seems to be the case with most companies these days.  Not just in the firearm industry.

On your pic it's not so much the gap itself that would bother me, but that the gap looks uneven. The "lines" don't appear to match up crossing the gap. Could just be the angle of the pic though?

4 hours ago, blue109 said:

On your pic it's not so much the gap itself that would bother me, but that the gap looks uneven. The "lines" don't appear to match up crossing the gap. Could just be the angle of the pic though?

No, the gap's not parallel, you're right. I read this thread before getting the rifle so I checked mine as soon as I got it. It was there before I shot it. So no, it hasn't spread out after firing a few hundred rounds. I would have sent it back asap had that been the case. Minimal wiggle between upper and lower actually. Should have saved my money and got a DPMS! ;)

Is this really a deal breaker for you? I think you're all being overly fussy. As long as the rifle is functioning as intended, I'm happy. And I'm happy to report, it's shooting quite well so I won't lose any sleep over it. I mean what could happen? My bolt's gunna catch a cold from the draft? ;)

image.jpeg

Edited by FreQRiDeR

30 minutes ago, Rsquared said:

Sadly, my beloved Armalite isn't the same company as they were under Mark Westrom. He was integral in helping bringing them back to life, when he bought the company back in 96.

R2 saiys it well. these are bad pictures I.just took i low light, but neither of my AR10's built 5 and 6 years ago show gaps like that. you cannot see daylight between either one. My Armalite loyalty is to rifles they apparently no longer produce. If I was to buy an assembled rifle now, I would go with Rock River Arms. otherwise, I would build.

20161211_132527.jpg

20161211_132441.jpg

Edited by Sisco

35 minutes ago, FreQRiDeR said:

It's Armalite's new Full Floating Upper. Said to eliminate 99.9% shooter error. That's probably why it shoots so well for me! ;)

28 minutes ago, blue109 said:

Not a deal breaker at all! If it shoots that's really all that matters, fit and finish is just icing on the cake. Just saying I'd prefer both if the option is there.

Truth, It is odd though that factory tolerances are different than they were 5 years ago. Enjoy it if it works. I enjoy mine.

On December 9, 2016 at 2:59 PM, washguy said:

Freq    Hate to ruin your understanding of what a quality ar308 or ar15 for that matter should look like.... you said.."If it were fitted perfectly, you would get a mechanical lock and wouldn't be able to pivot the upper off the lower"  bullcrap on that statement ... Ive got many ar308's and they are so tight you can hardly see the line separating the upper and lower... and they pivot fine....i wouldnt own a piece that looks like yours...but thats just me :fullauto:   Wash

Well, I just looked at a Mega Matten 1piece upper/rail and matching (bare) lower set and the fit was Virgin Mary tight! Better be! For a thousand bucks I could buy a whole rifle! 

Edited by FreQRiDeR

8 hours ago, FreQRiDeR said:

Well, I just looked at a Mega Matten 1piece upper/rail and matching (bare) lower set and the fit was Virgin Mary tight! Better be! For a thousand bucks I could buy a whole rifle! 

Frec, I don't know where you buy your stuff but for $1000 I would expect it to be Chrome plated! LOL

9 hours ago, FreQRiDeR said:

Freq     Mega's whether just the matched upper/lower or the mono railed upper/lower are pretty much all that way....just an upper lower is about 500 or so  .     Wash

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 5:17 PM, FreQRiDeR said:

More concerned with how it shoots, Wash, than how it looks. But that's just me. :p

I'm very happy with my Armalite. Sub moa after sighting it in. 

image.jpeg

Freq      Not too bad for 50yds with iron sights !:laffs:   Wash

Ok on the serious side....if you got rid of the gap...which by the way is more gap than my ex has...you might end up with this  

image.jpg1_zpsm24wr11k.jpg

336_zpsjv9vnznm.jpg                         rocket launcher emoticon

Edited by washguy

On December 19, 2016 at 1:36 PM, washguy said:

Freq      Not too bad for 50yds with iron sights !:laffs:   Wash

Ok on the serious side....if you got rid of the gap...which by the way is more gap than my ex has...you might end up with this  

image.jpg1_zpsm24wr11k.jpg

336_zpsjv9vnznm.jpg                         rocket launcher emoticon

Well Wash, it was actually 44 yds with iron sights. As I mentioned, i was adjusting my buis with this target, so yes the shots are not consistent. However, after getting her zero'd, I got 3 shot group of .5 moa (two touching) and one bullseye. With said iron sights. Tight groups don't mean poop to me if you can't hit the bullseye! Looks like you're off there a little, buddy ;)