• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

rail-less handguard

HavasuMike

I have been searching for a handguard without rails.  It seems that rails are the in thing right now.  DPMS has nothing in stock.  JP has one that is supposed to be good, but it's over $200.  All I want is a sling attachment.  Anyone know where to find one?  I am thinking 12".  Waiting for Faxon to get some barrels.  I'm going with their 20" fluted.  This is my first 308 build and would appreciate any helpful comments.  I currently have a completed lower with a DPMS upper receiver.

I'm kind of in love with the FA handguard I just installed, and would definitely recommend it. 

But you already know that... Lol!

If you go with a Hogue, keep in mind you have to buy the AR-15 handguard and their "DPMS AR-10" barrel nut for it. 

Edited by COBrien

32 minutes ago, HavasuMike said:

COBrien, I like the FA also.  Do you have the 12" PVR?  That is the only one that I see that doesn't have a rail.  They used to have another one with vents, but they don't make it anymore.  I saw it in one of the builds in 308ar.com.  The Apex is out of my league.

Mine is the PVR handguard. They were making one with a slot along the bottom for use with their hand stop, but last time I looked they didn't show it on their website. 

6 hours ago, COBrien said:

Does R2 even own a DPMS? I thought he only dealt with "superior" rifles... :laffs:

I'm waiting for the "Armalite pusher" thrashing I'm about to get.  :box1: Dang it I should have known better. :embarrassed: I did email Apex to see if they would make me a carbine length handguard.

Edited by beantown

Hi HavasuMike, i was in the same boat as you just a week or so ago.  I found the Diamondhead FF handguard to meet what I was looking for.  Something simple, smooth, cool looks is a plus.  It feels really good in my hands, quality seems good, their barrel nut doesn't require a special tool.  Looks damn good too.

latest-pic-my-ar308-1.jpg

new-handguard2.jpg

new-handguard3.jpg

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 7:52 AM, beantown said:

Am I reading this correct R2, that you use the factory DPMS barrel nut?

My mistake. Mine is from SWS on my 10 SBR. Don't know why I was thinking Apex. Stupidity probably.

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 11:35 AM, COBrien said:

Does R2 even own a DPMS? I thought he only dealt with "superior" rifles... :laffs:

Yet another smartass in the group.

On September 7, 2016 at 3:26 PM, HavasuMike said:

By the way, does the FA barrel nut use a standard barrel wrench?

The guy I bought my HG from included a "modified" DPMS LR-308 wrench and I was able to make it work. It has 2 pins that face the opposite direction of the rest of them, and they have to be inserted into holes that are one hole away from being directly across from each other.

If you need to borrow it, I'll gladly send it to you (as long as you send it back... Lol!).