• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Remington 770 .30-06

ARTrooper

My father in law purchased a Rem 770 in .30-06 last year and with little practice he took it hunting. during opening weekend he had several jams/failure to load with the rifle. Just a few minutes ago I took a look at the rifle, seems that the rounds get caught on the feed ramp possibly. At least 50% of the rounds will not chamber. I plan on poking at it a bit more and shooting it to continue to see any problems, but I figured I would ask if anyone here is familiar with the feeding problems of this rifle and any possible fixes.

No real input, but.......

From what I understand the 770 is the junk predecessor to the 710 (which I own, also junk). I've been told I'm lucky I got one that shoots straight. Mine was rendered a single shot because the mag release won't properly seat into the stock now and the mag won't hold I'm the mag well anymore, they make zero parts for the 710. This has made me grow a strong hate for Remington and taught me a valuable lesson, but I was 20 and needed a deer rifle and didn't have much cash at the time....

if you don't figure somthing out let me know and I'll give a buddy of mine a shout

9 minutes ago, ARTrooper said:

yeah, I would never recommend a cheap Remington. if you need an affordable rifle, Thompson center or savage is the way to go in my book.

Yea when the gander flyer came and I saw it with the bushnell scope on it for 300$ they suckered me right it. Hell the scopes worth more than the gun now :laffs::argue:

Father-in-law bought one of those cheap remington's with a scope mounted at Walmart. He and the brother-in-law were trying to sight it in while we were at the range. After half a box they asked me to take a look and see if I could get it on paper for them. Scared the schit out of me when I looked through the scope, no reticle, they had no clue where that half box was heading! I had the wife sneak all the ammo out of his apartment since he thought it would still work fine for home defense............a 270 win. with no way of aiming in the middle of an apartment complex seemed like a bad idea all around.

1 hour ago, ARTrooper said:

My father in law purchased a Rem 770 in .30-06 last year and with little practice he took it hunting. during opening weekend he had several jams/failure to load with the rifle. Just a few minutes ago I took a look at the rifle, seems that the rounds get caught on the feed ramp possibly. At least 50% of the rounds will not chamber. I plan on poking at it a bit more and shooting it to continue to see any problems, but I figured I would ask if anyone here is familiar with the feeding problems of this rifle and any possible fixes.

That's par for the course.  They came out with the 770 shortly after I quit retail.  Quite a few came back for warranty claims but only the ones that were taken out and shot.

It doesn't look like the feed ramp is the problem now. looks like from the feed ramp to the chamber there is a sharp ridge at the end of the chamber where the bolt locks that the tip of the rounds get stuck on. idk if you can see it in the picture, and forgive the dirt, my father in law doesn't every clean his guns... which means when they stop working I get them but have to do a lot of work to them to get them working. lol

20161106_153930[1].jpg

36 minutes ago, ARTrooper said:

been a while since I purchased ammo for a .30-06... so doing a little research, any suggestions?

I allways liked the Winchester power point or power max bonded, but the power point has a soft lead tip, I'm thinking that could be your issue. Maybe try the max bonded, one of the guy I hunt with likes that federal fusion (I think it is). 

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2900371661/winchester-power-max-bonded-ammunition-30-06-springfield-150-grain-protected-hollow-point

IMG_4545.JPG

IMG_4546.JPG

IMG_4547.JPG

Edited by shepp

1 hour ago, ARTrooper said:

yeah he was using Winchester super x 180 grain power points, which are soft tip... he will buy anything at Walmart. lol. I'll get some polymer tips and see how they perform. if it doesn't help, best make the first shot count. lol.

I just saw this, I went from the power points to those max bonded, patterned very closely. Actually I'm pretty sure I've shot one or the other and they don't very enough for me to mind to drop a deer. 

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/875439/winchester-deer-season-xp-ammunition-30-06-springfield-150-grain-extreme-point-polymer-tip

I bought 2 boxes and got a $5 rebate. :P

was looking at some hornady, nosler, browning, and federal premium bullets also. but for the price and a rebate, how can you beat that? lol. plus they should perform just as well as I need them too, and probably better.

The 150 gr. loads may feed better then the 180"s , them or 165's , I have never liked exposed lead tip Bullets . Anything in those weights in a Hornady SST loading are accurate & drop Deer , with out much trouble .

Some Rifles are just plum picky about what you feed them .

Edited by survivalshop

yeah I figured the large diameter polymer tip might help with the feeding. and being .30-06 I figured 150 grain has plenty of energy even out to extended ranges and shoots flatter than some larger loads.

size isn't everything, what's important is getting a wet hole:hump:... bullet hole covered in blood I mean you sick minded gutter dwellers. :banana:

Strange things can happen to bullets as they travel.  I have no pictures since there is no cell reception at our lease so I don't carry a phone (although I will from now on).  The Sunday before last I was sitting on a trail, about 135 yards out, and a white tail doe was moving along slowly, stopping to feed and then poking her head up above the bushes.  Since we had an abundance of doe tags, and only a few buck tags, I decided to take this one so when she poked her head up I took a neck shot.  She dropped and after waiting to see if she would move I walked down to where she lay and heard some noise on my left.  Low and behold there was a 5 point buck with a very large hole in the boiler room, taking its last breath.  When we skinned and quartered the doe, we found entry and exit wounds on the neck with a broken vertebrae.  The entry and exit wounds were at nearly right angles.  Apparently the bullet, a Sierra Game King 165 grain spitzer boat tail on a trimmed, used case over 42.4 grains of 414, deflected when it broke the vertebrae and tumbled into the buck's boiler room.  They ended up about 30 feet apart although I don't know how far they were apart when I shot, I never saw the buck even though I had cleared the area behind the doe. Those game kings are killers.  I have been using 165 grain SSTs on my .308 (the Faxon barrel loves heavier bullets) but had a few of these that I loaded on the 30.06.  Both have proven to be very accurate in my hand loads but I am now concerned with using these soft points for anything but direct boiler room shots.  Neither of the bullets, the Game King or the SST, have any issues feeding in the bolt 30.06, but the SSTs feed without any hiccups in the AR .308 while I have had one or two hangups with the soft point game kings..

EngrBob, been using those Sierra 165 gr game kings in 30-06 since the 1970's in almost the same load as you. They are killers. Almost always find though that they break in two and go different directions when they hit bone. Had one bullethit the sternum of a buck and half took a right turn and exited his rib cage, and the other half went through his heart and out his ass! Was a bit of a mess, but we saved the meat.

Edited by Sisco