• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Polish/Springs/Trigger Adjuster - Opinion?

cas0586

In the beginning stages of a 'budget' build. So not looking to 'break the bank' on a trigger. I am wondering if polishing the trigger group, jp reduced power springs and an adjustable trigger grip screw would make for noticeably nicer trigger over mil-spec? My other rifles all have mil-spec triggers so I don't have any comparisons to after market triggers. Yes plenty of youtube videos and forum posts but wanted to hear what ar/lr 308 community had to say The rifle is mostly going be used bench shooting and perhaps in tree stand a couple of times a year. Thanks for you time.

I have Polished many Milspec triggers with mixed results , you can actually make them worse , believe it or not . If you plan on using this Rifle for any kind of good groups , an after market Trigger ( FCG ) is where you need to go , the Milspecs do work , but thats about it .

The ALG ACT (FCG) is around $ 60 or so & I have got a good break on the ones I have @ about 51/2 # 's consistent , good for Hunting & really not all that bad if you want to play with grouping . There are a few around now since ALG came out with there's & are very good also , I just don't have any experience with any of them but the ALG ACT & the Enhanced Spikes Tactical , which is as good as the ALG .

A good Drop in is also a Plus , http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/triggers-parts/triggers/ar-15-velocity-trigger-curved-prod94245.aspx?avs|Make_3=AR-15   Here is one around $ 115 , not tried it ,but three pound pull , I have heard its a good FCG . Its all about $$ & you know you can go up from here.

On 11/16/2016 at 6:30 PM, shepp said:

Welcome to the forum feel ftee to post upbin the intro section

Thanks for the welcome. I plan to do so shortly.

On 11/17/2016 at 0:20 PM, unforgiven said:

Welcome from Indiana brother. A good trigger and barrel is not where you want to go low budget. Just my 2 mags.

Understandable. My build is using an 18" 416R barrel.

22 hours ago, survivalshop said:

I have Polished many Milspec triggers with mixed results , you can actually make them worse , believe it or not . If you plan on using this Rifle for any kind of good groups , an after market Trigger ( FCG ) is where you need to go , the Milspecs do work , but thats about it .

The ALG ACT (FCG) is around $ 60 or so & I have got a good break on the ones I have @ about 51/2 #  's consistent , good for Hunting & really not all that bad if you want to play with grouping . There are a few around now since ALG came out with there's & are very good also , I just don't have any experience with any of them but the ALG ACT & the Enhanced Spikes Tactical , which is as good as the ALG .

A good Drop in is also a Plus , http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/triggers-parts/triggers/ar-15-velocity-trigger-curved-prod94245.aspx?avs|Make_3=AR-15   Here is one around $ 115 , not tried it ,but three pound pull , I have heard its a good FCG . Its all about $$ & you know you can go up from here.

I have read that about polishin mil-spec triggers.  Thanks for the recommendations. I know there are many on the market. It may best to 'save' for one to appreciate! I have looked at the RRA triggers, Del-ton Two Stage, Geiselle G2S(~$120 shipped on sale right now). So many out there is hard to make a decision!

Edited by cas0586

On my AR-15s (YMMV) I used the JP Reduced Power Springs, bobbed the hammer (cut the "spur" off that's an appendix from it's full auto design) and did the grip screw mod. Basically you take a tap and tap all the way through the grip screw hole so you can put a 1/4-28 set screw in and remove the takeup from the trigger. Put some blue loctite on it, adjust it and you're good to go.

I also did a minimal amount of polishing on the trigger (basically to remove the machine marks) and left the sear alone. This was on a CMMG parts kit, I'd get the ALG Enhanced for a few bucks extra and skip it probably.

It's not a $300 trigger but it's a lot better than stock at a not $300 price.

Another budget option is a Rock River National Match Trigger. Supposedly you can pop the pin in one, put an AR-15 bolt catch spring in the disconnector and it reduces the weight significantly however I haven't gotten there yet. I've seen those for under $100 before. That said I actually think I prefer the single stage above, although admittedly I'm far from a trigger snob.

2 hours ago, cas0586 said:

Hey thanks for that! I am pretty good with a dremel. So I guess I will wait for DPMS to send me that diagram. The price on the trigger is pretty good.

If you start out with an 80% lower you never have to worry about polishing the trigger.  You simply have to polish the fire control pocket!

11 hours ago, cas0586 said:

Hey thanks for that! I am pretty good with a dremel. So I guess I will wait for DPMS to send me that diagram. The price on the trigger is pretty good.

If your rifle even needs it to be done , for some reason most don't need it altered & its really an easy alteration . I just can't find my drawing they sent or the thread here on it , I'll keep looking .