• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Off-Road Section

planeflyer21

2 minutes ago, MikedaddyH said:

Range Rovers don't count because gravel driveways are considered a road. Lol !

Reminds me of a report on when GM was considering marketing the Russian jeep thingee over here, they tested it at Aberdeen Proving grounds.  There were places it wouldn't go but it never got stuck.

The manager of the facility said "We had a Range Rover out here once.  It went everywhere.  At the end of a tow rope."

49 minutes ago, sketch said:

The tree hugging libs shut down all the trails around here! I was able to dirt bike for the first time 3 days before it was gone forever.. Dont have time to travel to walker vally ( mikedaddy) you ever been there?

We used to be able to use any trail around here on U.S. Forest land.  Then Clinton got in office.  With "budget cuts" they had enough money to gate all the trails, start fining people that used "unapproved offroad areas".

2 hours ago, sketch said:

The tree hugging libs shut down all the trails around here! I was able to dirt bike for the first time 3 days before it was gone forever.. Dont have time to travel to walker vally ( mikedaddy) you ever been there?

Hell yeah !!!

That's by LakeChallenger. The Boy Scout Camp, Fire Mountain. Summer camps every year and events when ever. Hiked all over that area ,even helped put in a trail. That's where I got kicked out of the Boy Scouts at Leadership Council.

6 minutes ago, sketch said:

two of my bros try to do walker every year. Were getting older and things we useta could are dissapearing faster than they were invented. Im more suprised i still have friends here in my home town.. 

When I was there it was all hiking ,thats it !

• 2 weeks later...

Hit myself in the face with a wrench so done for the day lol. With that said...it came apart amazingly easy for a 30yr old 4x4. Gotta love az. No rust at all. 

While I was under there I found some sensors on the trans with burnt up wires from falling on the exhaust. Guess they aren't important lol. I'm guessing temp/pressure sensors? I'll worry about it tomorrow.

0114171151a.jpg

A 4x4 truck or ATV really doesn't ascend to the pinnacle of off roading until it reaches the point where you don't particularly care what it looks like because you know your going to hit some poop. I had an old 99 Ford F-150 that escaped swamps and crap all over northern Wisconsin. It was rusting out so I never knew until I got home how many pieces of mufflers, skid plates, and other , more essential pieces of equipment i had left strewn throughout the woods. My son still regrets my unloading that truck five years ago, and it is still running around town. I replaced it with a 2005 Ram 1500 quad cab that went through the same rust and dent filled history, with lots of deer season blood crusted on the bed liner. Now I have a 2016 Ram Laramie Limited with leather seats and Alpine sound system, so it will be a few years before that reaches true off road status. For now it's a boat puller and road trip vehicle. I have had the same ATV since 2002, a Honda Foreman which except for replacing tires, and ignition, and two deformed wheels from hitting rocks, is still running strong. As a matter of fact it also serves to plow my driveway in winter. My son calls it the AK 47 of ATV,s as his friends high powered fancy stuff would always break down or get stuck, and he would have to pull them out or tow them home, as his would be still running.

Put this under "Classic" My first 4x4 brand new off the show room floor in 1975. An International Harvester Scout II. Started rusting 5 minutes after I bought it, but what a tank! Could pull just about anything out of a ditch. And out hill climb any jeep I ever ran across. Last I heard of it was in 202, some guy in Mendacino California was still driving what was left of it that wasn't rusted out.

Scanned Prints 027.jpg