• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

CONFUSED AR 10 SEEKER

CHILL

New to this but have been reading several of these types of sights and find this one to have the most insight and knowledgable people.

Need help here there are so many different opinons of model , manufactuer and oh just build it......

I have several AR 15's .223 and many many other bolt guns.

I have set my sights on a .308 rd in an AR platform and it is some what over whelming as to what route to go.

My purpose is long range target shooting to hunting.I am looking for Performance Accuracy and realibilty. looking for some experinced answers to point me done right path.

Oh and on a budget as always 2k-3k

thanks

Well, the first question I'd want to ask is are you leaning more towards one or the other. The reasoning here is that you can build an extremely accurate tack-driving long range machine that you would never want to lug around the woods, and on the other hand, having a rig that IS light enough to lug around means you're probably inherently sacrificing a little accuracy. Fulfilling two dissimilar roles usually means compromising the keystone attributes of each role, typically leaving the user unhappy with his weapon in both roles. This is why it is so common to simply try to budget build for a given role.

The problem you're going to run into with a 308 format rifle is weight vs portability. Long range (+600 yards) paper killers usually end up weighing +15 lbs. if you're a tree stand or blind hunter, weight won't be much of an issue. If you plan on humpin your rifle through the woods, 15-20#'s of rifle will get old real quick! 

There are makers who combine lightweight with long range accuracy. JP Rifles and Christensen Arms are sub MOA and under 10 lbs, but they have $3200+ price tags.

First off, welcome to the forum. The members here will be more than happy to help you window shop for a new .308 AR. And your right, there are a lot of choices, which just means that you'll need more than one. I think the other posts address the trade offs of bench rest vs hunting tactical guns, but I thought I might suggest you take a look at the new 7.62 AR from GA Precesion. If youve been around bolt guns for a while you probably know of them. They have made some really incredable benchrest bolt guns for a couple of my friends, If their AR is built to the same standard I don't know how you could go wrong, and it falls right into your price range.

www.gaprecision.net

Thanks for your input to all this is why I came here with my questions!

All points are valid i figured that yes if I wanted something lighter I would give up the accuracy. My thing is that some are showing a huge gap in MOA when you do that from 1 1/2 " to 2" and that is kinda hard to believe. not sure it's always the gun.

I was already preparing myself that 12 -13 lbs was going to be my max weight fully checked out i would be willing to deal with to lug around. but yes I have a few long range stands that i would hunt from and some open country antelope long range shots. I knew up front it wasn't going to be like my TIKKA 300WSW at 6lbs.

But I still want to lay out on the 600 and 800 yrd range and tack drive paper. I am not all about how badass it looks. I am more about function of my guns cause I intend on shooting many rounds down them not sitting on display looking good if you know what i mean.

I will take all input on this matter as I view most of you on here have way more experience with this type of gun. I would like to hear some of the build ideas also.

once again thanks for shedding some light on this

Consider the differences in the basic platform to help you decide what brand to purchase.  There are two major design differences, plus one other on top of that.  The majors are the Armalite AR-10 platform and the DPMS LR-308 platform.  The probable third type would be the Rock River Arms type.

It gets a little more complicated with a couple brands that share some of the design attributes between the Armalite and DPMS patterns, and those would be the SR-25 "pattern" (Stoner SR-25, Knight's Armament).  Obviously, Knight's has that one, and the Mega Machine upper and lower set follows that, too.

As far as the two basic patterns go (Armalite and DPMS), there are many options available for them, with rails, stocks, optics mounts, grips, etc.  The Armalite will only use Armalite magazines, while the DPMS will use DPMS mags, C-Products mags, and MagPul LR-20 mags.  Barrel nut threading is different on both, so rail/freefloat handguard choices need to match the upper receiver threading type.

Specific info for you - if you're going for a long-range target gun that will also hunt, a decent compromise on barrel length will be around 18", and several barrel manufacturers make barrels for both types that are around that.  If the most it will get is a bipod and scope, then you can save a little weight by using a freefloat tube instead of a quad-rail type handguard. 

One more tidbit - we've seen some problems, or "difficulties" here when mixing and matching different brands of the upper and lower receivers on the DPMS-based builds.  Once you decide on a pattern, it would be best to use the same manufacturer for the upper and lower receivers.  It wouldn't necessarily always cause you some grief, but the potential is there when you mix and match. 

Thanks for those great tips!

I have really started looking at the GAP and Christians 308. I really like the idea of a Carbon fiber barrel cutting down the weight. The trick is will it hold it's accuracy on a AR PLATFORM. I know Christians arms makes great bolt guns with carbon fiber barrels but this hmmmm???

GA makes great bolts also  but neither have as much experience in this type of gun so the jury is still out on build or buy right now.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks guys Robocop let me know when you get your JP would like to know what you think ....

I had a topic if anyone had handled a Christians arms model and it got moved to there spot on here didn't stay in General discussion.

It's a toss up right now between the OBR ,GA or ChristiansArms I have re done my budget and it will be end of year before I can make a move cause I want to save for optics and bi pod to mount all at once.

any optics and bi pod recommendations are very welcomed

Chill,

If I had it to do all over again, now, I would probably go with the Christensen Arms complete rifle.

First and foremost, they are a custom rifle maker. If there are any issues you have with their 'main line' models, and you want to make some personal changes, contact Courtney (sales@christensenarms.com) in the sales office.

They will build you a rifle, and build it well.

I run a Trijicon ACOG with the 7.62NATO reticle.  They have several models in 7.62mm.  The TA11 has an extended eye relief.  My TA01-B is simple, rugged and flawless.  There's a TA31 with dual illumination.  Optics in my opinion are like asking a car enthusiast what his favorite car is.  There are so many to chose from, and so many uses, it's just a tough call.  I like the Trijicon ACOG because of the reasons cited. But I'm not looking to shoot beyond about 600m with mine.  And even then most of the shooting I do is between 100 and 400m.  I'm sure one of the long range guys will recommend something for out beyond that. But in my mind, if you are shooting at ranges similar to what I am, the ACOG is battle proven and pretty much unbreakable.

• 2 months later...

How would a bone stock DPMS SASS measure up to the rifles already mentioned???anybody got one of each for comparison.??  It would leave a chunk of change left over for high end optics...........just thinkin out loud here

Sorry for the hijack, but I'm in the same boat and I've been leaning toward the DPMS SASS, if they are pretty accurate.

I've got a 600yd range and would mostly use it for some local competition and maybe an occassional travel to a 1000yd range for stretching out the wings.  How accurate are the SASS by DPMS out of the box?  I'd probably get it threaded for a suppressor down the road so I figured an 18" barrel would be fine for hunting with a 7-10" suppressor on it for fun.

Sorry for the hijack, but I'm in the same boat and I've been leaning toward the DPMS SASS, if they are pretty accurate.

I've got a 600yd range and would mostly use it for some local competition and maybe an occassional travel to a 1000yd range for stretching out the wings.  How accurate are the SASS by DPMS out of the box?  I'd probably get it threaded for a suppressor down the road so I figured an 18" barrel would be fine for hunting with a 7-10" suppressor on it for fun.

Hey Jrmy and CHill

I built a 308 using the mega ma10 upper/lower and then putting on a dpms sass 18" barrel.....do yourself a favor dont put the dpms sass on....its waay too heavy...it is a sub moa barrel for sure shoots a 6" disk at 500 yds...at 100 just makes one ragged hole in the bullseye...no complaints  BUT the rifle is a heavy sob...you need a gunbearer to tote it for you......so i just built 308 #2 using the same everything but tossed the sass and got a rainier 18" select....both of these shoot sub moa. the rifles hardly weigh a pound more than my 6.8spc's My GF  and myself can carry these with ease

recoil is not bad either using a tubbs spring and a spikes h3 heavy buffer on hers <thumbsup>  Wash