• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

First 308 build

B0fuh

So two updates, I talked to next level about their bcg compatibility this morning.  Both gentlemen I talk to run their own components obviously and the both run the silent captured spring with zero issues.   Dave said if I were to ever have issues, to make sure and contact them so they can help correct any problems as well.  So far, very helpful and appreciative gentleman that should be considered by all for their components.  

The second update is ground zero, their customer service is still great, if the bcg isn't in by next Monday they will ship the rest of my order so the bcg isn't holding up the build.   

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

This is gonna be a badass rifle.  :thumbup:

Thanks!  Barrel gets ordered in the next two weeks.   This handguard is interesting, the barrel nut doesn't guide the gas tube at all.  No alignment to deal with while torquing the nut.  Just torque and move on.  I don't know if that's too common but I like the idea.  

Okay guys, I have a question before I get the barrel on the way.   Obviously I need a gas tube....my question is....With the .875 gas block on the 16" proof barrel and mid length gas port, will the standard mid length gas tube (11 7/8") be the correct tube?  For some reason, with my enormous wealth of experience in building these rifles, I feel like it needs a slightly less curved gas tube.  I base this thought on exactly zero evidence though so I just want to have my ducks in a row before I check out.  

Thanks gents

Unless you have some kind of oddball Gas Block , a std., mid length Gas Tube should work . 

DPMS LR 308 Gas Tube/AR 15/16

Pistol             6-5/8

Carbine          9-3/4

Mid-Length  11-3/4

Rifle             15-1/4

Armalite lengths,

Rifle ( 308 ) ----- 15.5 "

Carbine ( 308 )--12 1/16"

super SASS Carbine ( 308 )--11"

Super SASS< Rife (308 )   ?

Mid ,( 223 )------------------ 11 3/4"

Carbine ( 223) --------------- 9 3/4 "

Rifle ( 223 ) ------------------- 15 3/16"

National Match---------------  ?

20 minutes ago, survivalshop said:

Unless you have some kind of oddball Gas Block , a std., mid length Gas Tube should work . 

DPMS LR 308 Gas Tube/AR 15/16

Pistol             6-5/8

Carbine          9-3/4

Mid-Length  11-3/4

Rifle             15-1/4

Armalite lengths,

Rifle ( 308 ) ----- 15.5 "

Carbine ( 308 )--12 1/16"

super SASS Carbine ( 308 )--11"

Super SASS< Rife (308 )   ?

Mid ,( 223 )------------------ 11 3/4"

Carbine ( 223) --------------- 9 3/4 "

Rifle ( 223 ) ------------------- 15 3/16"

National Match---------------  ?

Why do you suppose they list the mid length 1/8" longer?   I feel like they do enough business to know more about it than I do, maybe I'll call them tomorrow 

11 hours ago, B0fuh said:

Why do you suppose they list the mid length 1/8" longer?   I feel like they do enough business to know more about it than I do, maybe I'll call them tomorrow 

Hard to say , maybe they have a proprietary gas system or measuring wrong , anyones guess when it comes to 308AR's , with so many manufacturers out there now a days . 

Well I found a distributor that has the barrel for $799.99 and free shipping.   I'm calling today to see if they're in stock.   I'm hoping to get this down to just two more orders so I may not actually order from rainier.  I will focus more on it after the barrel is onthe way.  Thanks for the help.   

2 hours ago, JJ109 said:

Why dont you order from from Columbia River Arms AKA old Black Hole Weaponry.

BHW MAKES Rainer Select Barrels for them. Top quality barrel without paying $800 for barrel. 

http://columbiariverarms.com/

I'm committed to the proof research barrel on this build even though it's a bit more pricey.  I've been dreaming/drooling over these barrels for quite some time and have had nothing but great experiences with Mike and the rest regarding help and advice.  Also, they're fellow Montana peepsicles and I feel great about that.   Thanks for the advice though.  

Edited by B0fuh

On 1/31/2017 at 7:02 PM, B0fuh said:

On some of the builds here it has been found that the AR-15 mid-length gas tube doesn't extend quite as far back into the upper receiver as it should. Some have caused issues and some have worked fine that way. The Armalite 308 solves the problem.carbine gas tube 

• 2 weeks later...

Alright ladies and gents, time for an update.  My barrel is in, holy butt sack it is sexy.   I feel like my eyes are having sex every time I look at this thing.  The barrel is at the smith getting a George Vais designed 3" reducible hunter brake.  The smith is turning it down to exactly the same size as my barrel and matching the polish so it will be close to seamless.  He's going to put it on free of charge since I'm buying the brake.  

My bolt carrier group and grip will be in this week as well.  By this weekend, all I will have left is gas block, tube, and trigger.  

Then goodies like the luth ar stock and scope.   I'm still undecided on scope and trigger but will be choosing shortly.  

Pictures will be up tomorrow 

I don't think I ever named it, it is the strike industries enhanced grip.  I can't help but feel like they dropped the ball on that one.  Hopefully, for their sake, Steve over in quality control was just having a bad day.  It was just surprising because I have their ejection port cover and that thing fits wonderfully. Looks good too.  Any way, jp has a hogue grip that I'll buy along with the their new .875 adjustable gas block.  It's not a bad price and doesn't have the extension over the hand.  I'll buy them in a couple weeks.

44 minutes ago, blue109 said:

I don't have a problem with strike, and I tried one of the dust covers and don't hate it...But I think alot of their stuff is made in Taiwan. 

Yeah, I definitely won't turn anyone away from them aside from the grip on a .308.   I imagine it fits an ar15 the way it's supposed to.  I'm just chalking it up to learning experience, there's several things about these nlx 308 pieces that I'm learning along the way.  All has been great until the grip issue.  I think the way the receiver was finished has more to do with the way the grip fits than the actual quality of the grip.  

24 minutes ago, B0fuh said:

Yeah, I definitely won't turn anyone away from them aside from the grip on a .308.   I imagine it fits an ar15 the way it's supposed to.  I'm just chalking it up to learning experience, there's several things about these nlx 308 pieces that I'm learning along the way.  All has been great until the grip issue.  I think the way the receiver was finished has more to do with the way the grip fits than the actual quality of the grip.  

Grips are one thing that a lot of the AR 15 contour Grips will not fit a Billet 308AR Receivers . Some will fit good , some will not . Hit & miss .