• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Suppressor News in the Govt...

We might be gettin' somewhere, men!

Hill Republicans try to ease purchase of gun 'silencers,' as NRA-backed Trump arrives

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/01/15/hill-republicans-try-to-ease-purchase-gun-silencers-as-nra-backed-trump-arrives.html

Published January 15, 2017    FoxNews.com

Congressional Republicans are trying to change federal guns regulations to make buying a silencer, or suppressor, easier. But critics don’t agree with the argument that the proposed legislation is a safety measure to prevent hearing injuries.  

The Hearing Protection Act, introduced earlier this week in the GOP-controlled House and Senate, if passed, would still require a background check to buy a silencer, which muffles or suppresses more than silences the sound of a shot.

However, buyers would no longer have to pay a $200 fee or wait for months after filing extensive paperwork with the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

“I’ve been shooting since I was a young child -- beginning with plinking with a .22 rifle and dove hunting with my Dad. My hearing has been damaged because of gun noise,” South Carolina Rep. Jeff Duncan said Monday after introducing the bill in the House with Texas Rep. John Carter, a fellow Republican.

“Had I had access to a suppressor, it may have protected me, as well as millions of other Americans, from this sort of hearing loss. This is a health issue,” Duncan continued.

The National Rifle Association’s lobbying arm supports the measures, saying suppressors are “harmless and very rarely used in crime” and that the joint bill would end the “cumbersome and lengthy application process.”

A similar measure failed in 2015. But supporters are optimistic this time with Republican Donald Trump set Friday to officially become president.

They point to the NRA having endorsed Trump and Trump’s eldest son, Donald Trump Jr., a hunter, recently appearing in a promotional video for Utah-based SilencerCo.

“I believe in American manufacturing. I love your product,” Trump says in the video, in which he also argues that European countries freely allow the accessory. “It’s a safety issue.”

The GOP lawmakers say the bill aims to “cut through the red tape” of owning a suppressor and, if passed, would remove the accessory from the scope of the National Firearms Act. They also say it would replace the “outdated” federal application process with the “instantaneous” National Instant Criminal Background Check.

The bill calls for a refund of the $200 transfer “tax” for applicants who purchased a suppressor after Oct. 22, 2015, the original date of introduction.

Critics point to a February 2013 situation in which fired Los Angles police officer Christopher Dorner killed four people in a series of attacks over 10 days that targeted law enforcement officials. They argue the fatal attacks might have been stopped earlier had Dorner not been using silencers.

“There’s no evidence of a public health issue associated with hearing loss from gunfire,” Kristin Brown, of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, told The Los Angeles Times. “There is evidence of a public health crisis from gun violence, and we think that’s where legislative efforts should be directed.”

The bill is being introduced in the Senate by Idaho Sen. Mike Crapo, and its co-sponsors include fellow GOP Sens. Rand Paul, Kentucky, and Jerry Moran, Kansas.

Mine ring nearly constantly and I can tell you exactly when it started.

I had injured my back and was taking 800mg Ibuprofens to help.  About 20 minutes after taking one pill the tinnitus started.  Reading through the side effects of the pills, tinnitus "may be one of the reported side effects."

Now my hearing loss?  Could be anything loud and fun across my lifetime.

18 minutes ago, planeflyer21 said:

Mine ring nearly constantly and I can tell you exactly when it started.

I had injured my back and was taking 800mg Ibuprofens to help.  About 20 minutes after taking one pill the tinnitus started.  Reading through the side effects of the pills, tinnitus "may be one of the reported side effects."

Now my hearing loss?  Could be anything loud and fun across my lifetime.

Dated some screamers in your time?

I'm sure that me standing at the grill doors of a M60 series main battle tank didn't help. Or the fact that we never wore hearing protection while watching other tanks fire at the range. There is nothing like the sound of those air cooled V-12 diesels or a 105MM main gun going off. It was still the best job I ever had. Can I get a suppressor for one of these? :cool:

8th Inf Div RHEIN 88 a.jpg

Edited by beantown

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 9:31 AM, Armed Eye Doc said:

Where's that head-banging smiley when you need it?

You mean like this Doc? sAng_banghead.gif

I hope that this gets somewhere. It's ridiculous having to do the tax stamp process for a F-ing suppressor. And the wait time? Fuk.....we're running on about 9 months right now according to my friendly local gun pusher. I stumbled through the door there the other day just to check on my Ti-rant-45M that I bought back on last fathers day. Nope.....still waiting.

You can never have too many suppressors. :laffs:

Edited by Rsquared