• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Why are US lawmakers afraid of suppressors?

broadbillodin

If what I am reading i understand correctly, there is a rather expensive and time consuming process in the US to obtain a suppressor for your firearm.

Am having trouble getting my head around this as we can walk into any firearms or hunting store and buy one over the counter - no different from ammo or anything else.

What is the big deal about such a simple tool up there?

I gave you a hint, Stuart.  Research the NFA, 1934.  Come on, shooter, look at that law.  It's only 83 years old, in my country's history.

You know everything about Australia's gun laws?  You're close, proximity-wise.  Shiit, I don't. Don't care. Doesn't affect me.  I don't know much about Canadian gun laws either, and they're even closer to me.  Doesn't affect me, but the more I read and learn, the more those Canuck laws boggle my mind.

You're not expected to know about US laws, but with them being 83 years old now, don't expect us to give you answers on why they make sense, or not.  Look into the GCA, 1968 while you're at it.  Research some of Bill Clinton's genius, too, from 1994.  Shiit, research CALIFORNIA gun laws...

hehe - i think if Hilary had of won - your mate Bill would have been president of the UN in short order and it would have been the end game for the enactment of the UN's Agenda 21 (look that one up and be afraid for your children). In electing Trump, I believe that US citizens have done the entire western world a favour and a massive debt of gratitude is in order.

As for Aussie gun laws, well lets just say Hillary's mates have been very busy there. Semi autos banned because one Tasmanian nut job went loopy with one 20 years ago.

I am aware that an act is before your house to make suppressors legal (have US friends complain about the time and money involved to get the tax stamp) - looked up your 1934 law - cant believe that the polys have had their heads in the sand on it for so long, yet been so liberal in other areas. Also interesting that in US that the states who have the strictest gun laws coincidently have the highest levels of gun crime.

We also are not beyond stupidity down here - take my DPMS LR - it has a bar from the stock to the pistol grip, this makes it a Cat A (std) firearm - remove this bar and it becomes Cat E (military style) - still the same gun. I can only carry a 7 rnd mag for it, no 10, 20 or 30 ones - yet there is no law saying I cannot carry 30 x 7 round mags - mind you for hunting never have more than 3 in the rifle - in the bush you are never going to get more than 3 shots on a mob, rarely more than 2,  so common sense dictates what I carry.

26 minutes ago, Matt.Cross said:

The most direct answer to your question is that when it comes to the sovereignty of free citizens, this country has sadly lost its way. We've become two contingents of people, those who want the predominance of the state, and those who want the predominance of liberty.

That is the best succinct description of this country that I have heard.

Many that claim to want Liberty these days are some of the first to demand government solve a problem for them. Most fail to understand that true Liberty is inherently dangerous. Liberty first, security  has to come later and from each and every individual doing their part, not from an over reaching government.

And yes, the NFA should be repealed!

3 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

Many that claim to want Liberty these days are some of the first to demand government solve a problem for them. Most fail to understand that true Liberty is inherently dangerous. Liberty first, security  has to come later and from each and every individual doing their part, not from an over reaching government.

And yes, the NFA should be repealed!

Exactly.  Liberty is the freedom to make one's own decisions. Patriotism is the influence of belonging to a nation that influences those decisions.  If you cede control to a government, and don't give a damn about your country, you cannot have liberty.  Look to the schools that are destroying the next generation's patriotism by making the United States appear as if it was a nation stolen from native Americans and built on the back of slaves.  Unless that mechanism can be changed, there is no hope for the America we grew up with to survive.  It will take more than repeal of the NFA, but real Americans taking control of the schools and the media.

3 hours ago, EngrBob said:

Exactly.  Liberty is the freedom to make one's own decisions. Patriotism is the influence of belonging to a nation that influences those decisions.  If you cede control to a government, and don't give a damn about your country, you cannot have liberty.  Look to the schools that are destroying the next generation's patriotism by making the United States appear as if it was a nation stolen from native Americans and built on the back of slaves.  Unless that mechanism can be changed, there is no hope for the America we grew up with to survive.  It will take more than repeal of the NFA, but real Americans taking control of the schools and the media.

Everyone above did a damn good job describing the current situation. In our area, the local native american bands are trying to lay claim to anything and everything as belonging exclusively to them while ignoring the fact they used violence to take it away from other tribal bands in the first place. Time for them and a lot of other minority groups to decide; are they American, or not? 

3 hours ago, EngrBob said: