• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Which die set? Help me decide!

Clay

Hey everybody I thought I'd check with y'all to see which die set I should go with. I will be reloading 308 WIN in my AR308 style rifle. I have around 100 cases saved that I have fired from this gun and plan on buying some bulk once fired brass as well. I'm down to the Lee pacesetter set and the RCBS AR Series Small Base set. I'm new to reloading and not sure which will best fit my need. Please help!

Thanks!

9 minutes ago, Clay said:

Haven't started yet still getting all the stuff together. Getting married soon so can't buy everything all at once 

Ha! You'd better buy everything RIGHT NOW. You won't be able to afford it after you're married.

For reloading 308AR, you've got plenty of choices. I've had great luck with the Lee standard dies, and the RCBS standard dies. Unless you have some special "match" chamber that is tighter than normal (I don't recommend that) then don't waste your money on small base dies. You don't need them. I also wouldn't recommend getting the RCBS "X" dies which supposedly eliminate the need to trim (these dies have nothing to do with MikeDaddy's pictures.:lmao:)

I cannot say this enough. If you are reloading rifle cases, GET A CASE GAUGE!!! And use it! Cheapest $20 insurance you'll ever buy.

Lol Right! Well my biggest hold up and reason why I'm interested in reloading in the first place  is because my buddies father in law is going to give us his Lyman press that he never used, but its funny how people don't get in a hurry to get rid of the stuff they aren't selling lol. To me it kind of seems like a gimmick by RCBS but thought I'd ask anyhow. And yes I have a Lyman case gauge on the way

1 minute ago, mineralman55 said:

That's some quality equipment you're assembling for reloading.

Quality equipment + good reloading technique = lots of fun.

Yes I'm definitely excited about it. Been reading a lot of here and other sites. The suspense is killing me though lol 

1 hour ago, mineralman55 said:

I cannot say this enough. If you are reloading rifle cases, GET A CASE GAUGE!!! And use it! Cheapest $20 insurance you'll ever buy.

^This! I got by for years without one loading for bolt guns, just got lucky I guess. If I buy remanufactured ammo I run all of it through a case gauge now, you would be surprised how far off some will be.

I have gotten by without using small base dies as well, why move more brass unless you have to. I mostly buy Hornady dies with the exception of the Lee factory crimp dies.

Lee Dies have come a long way , I use some , just got a Lee set for the 25-45 Sharps & they seem to work fine . Actually , I have quite a few sets from my Brother after his Lee 1000 was ripped off on a home break in, he knew I had a Lee 1000.

I have mostly RCBS , but have Lyman ,Lee, Redding & Forster . The Forster Match Seating Die is the most precise I have used for Seating a Bullet , Its not even a Micrometer type , easily changed over if wanted. I just got one for 308 & have a complete set for the 300BLK .

You can get Match Die sets , but wow $$$$ & unless your going to do match or long range , you don't need them , you can make some fine shooting ammo with STD sets . You can always add later .

Small base Dies are not normally needed , until you need one & some surplus Brass , you just could . If you don't get that Lyman Press , I would recommend a reloading set , where you get most everything you need for a Bundle price , they have sales for these kits most of the time . 

If you're going to go with a Lee press spend a little more and get the turret press. You can set all the dies up for one caliber on a turret and keep them there, much handier than swapping and resetting each die when you go to the next function or change calibers. The Lee turret presses are great little presses, I have one with turrets holding the die sets for all the calibers I'm not set up to load on my Dillon. I even use the Lee press to size and decap all my 308 and 223 cleaned brass before I tumble it again to clean the lube off.

10 hours ago, 392heminut said:

If you're going to go with a Lee press spend a little more and get the turret press. You can set all the dies up for one caliber on a turret and keep them there, much handier than swapping and resetting each die when you go to the next function or change calibers. The Lee turret presses are great little presses, I have one with turrets holding the die sets for all the calibers I'm not set up to load on my Dillon. I even use the Lee press to size and decap all my 308 and 223 cleaned brass before I tumble it again to clean the lube off.

:thumbup:

16 hours ago, 392heminut said:

+1 I have two Lee turret presses set up, one for pistol calibers and one for rifle with individual turrets for each caliber.  I use a mix of dies, RCBS, Hornady, Redding as well as Lee.  I have a Lee single press that I use for trimming so that is the only individual die I change each time.  This really saves time when I am doing several different calibers.

And I also recommend a turret press. They are a nice compromise between single stage and progressive, without hindering the beginner,  and allowing more speed as your skills improve.

I personnally used the RCBS turret, and have 2 singles to do other duties that I prefer not to do on the turret.

I have never had to replace any parts with my Lee dies or my Lee 1000 ( that is one of the first ones out ) , but you can not go wrong with RCBS Customer service , I had a adjuster shaft on my 30 yr. old Bullet Sizer  that broke & they sent me new one , no questions asked , I even had an a minor Part break on my RCBS Green Machine & if you know anything about this side to side progressive reloader , its old & they sent me the part , I couldn't believe they even had the part .

I have used them all and the Forster BR Set is by far the best and I have no problems with the lee either.  The lee collet neck die and factory crimp die are awesome.  The Forster is more money but is very well worth it if anything is.  I have 7 presses of different brands and feel the same about the Forster press but they are not cheap either.  Other presses will work fine but do yourself a favor and use the Forster BR dies.  

A lot of good advice. I do use small base dies as I am shooting in three different 308's of two different designs and just want to ensure standardized reliable feeding. Both RCBS and Lee dies are good. The Lee crimping dies are awesome!

My fiance actually suprised me with a Lee Hand Press kit for my bday. Since we live in a small apartment she thought that would be better than a stationary press.Anyways I loaded up about 30 rounds with 155 grain hornady hpbt and was suprised at how good and easy to use the little hand press is.  I'm still waiting on my buddy with the Lyman but if he doesn't come through at least I can reload now lol 

A lot of people have started out with those Lee hand presses and loaded great ammo with them! Living in an apartment can be really cramped and that just might be the best thing for you under your present circumstances. Sounds like your fiancee is a keeper for sure!:thumbup:

On 5/15/2017 at 7:52 PM, 392heminut said:

A lot of people have started out with those Lee hand presses and loaded great ammo with them! Living in an apartment can be really cramped and that just might be the best thing for you under your present circumstances. Sounds like your fiancee is a keeper for sure!:thumbup:

I agree she is! It does seem to be a nice press although I did encounter a problem. I'm actually gonna to start a new thread about it. All of your imput would be much appreciated