• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

110 gr RN bullets for 300 BLK

i tried searching to see if anyone has asked the question before and i couldn't find it so i am sorry if this is a re-post.  Has anyone had good results reloading for 300 BLK with 110 gr round nose bullets (30 cal M1 Carbine)?  i know Hornady makes the 110 V-Max but 110 gr RN are way cheaper.  Thanks!

I asked this question back when 300BO was still in its infancy. I was warned that mags and feed ramps don't like RN cartridges. Seeing the start of the SRC 25-45, that is all RN, I'm thinking the argument could be reexamined. You may have to experiment with COAL. 

We had a member here, long ago, who was loading SMK Flat Bottom 126gr and getting 2,600fps.... I believe it was @Jgun but I haven't heard from him in years. 

so i searched 300blktalk and couldn't find any hard data.  i did find this load data from Sierra and it looks like they make a bullet (#2100) for the M1 Carbine that they used to test 300blk with so i am assuming it will work.  i guess i will just have to get some and try it out for myself. 

https://sierrabullets.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/300-aac-blackout.pdf

I've shot a bunch of this stuff, dirty as hell and the occasional failure to go into battery due to case size but the LRN bullet doesn't seem to be the issue. It also builds up lead in the adjustable gas block and is a real pain to clean up as well;

http://palmettostatearmory.com/grizzly-cartridge-300-aac-blackout-210gr-hard-cast-lrn-sub-sonic-ammunition-250rds-gc300bl-r5.html

Here is a video showing some, I don't seem to be able to find iot  on the Grizzly web page anymore;

I think the COL may give you feeding issues with that size RN Bullet , hits the feed ramp & bounces up , but can't say for sure . I use 110 gr. almost exclusively in the 300BLK , but they are all pointed Bullets , the AMax is a favorite, as is the Barnes 110 , but the Barnes is on the expensive side for my liking & the Amax shoots great out of my 16" bbl.. I keep some Barnes loaded in case I have to Hog Hunt .

Just get some & try them , might work out just fine for you .

On 5/2/2017 at 3:16 PM, survivalshop said:

I think the COL may give you feeding issues with that size RN Bullet , hits the feed ramp & bounces up , but can't say for sure . I use 110 gr. almost exclusively in the 300BLK , but they are all pointed Bullets , the AMax is a favorite, as is the Barnes 110 , but the Barnes is on the expensive side for my liking & the Amax shoots great out of my 16" bbl.. I keep some Barnes loaded in case I have to Hog Hunt .

Just get some & try them , might work out just fine for you .

so they guys over at 300blktalk have done some 300 BLK loads with M1 carbine bullets, but not for an AR.  the general thought seems to be that feeding from the mag might be the issue but no one has tried from what i could find

I'm in the process of trying to get a sample pack from Armscor.  if they won't play ball then i found some for about $11/100 so i'll order them and let everyone know how it goes.

My only suggestion on this would be to use a steel magazine, or even a Lancer mag. The Pmag has that funny shape to the inside of the magazine, and that (I think) might make those round nose projectiles act a little funny… Or they may not even load it all due to OAL issues?? I'm not saying don't try the Pmag… Just don't give up on it if the Pmag doesn't work out.

got some demo packs from Sierra Bullets in the mail today.  hopefully I'll be able to test some by end of next week or so and let you all know. 

On 5/12/2017 at 8:53 PM, Robocop1051 said:

My only suggestion on this would be to use a steel magazine, or even a Lancer mag. The Pmag has that funny shape to the inside of the magazine, and that (I think) might make those round nose projectiles act a little funny… Or they may not even load it all due to OAL issues?? I'm not saying don't try the Pmag… Just don't give up on it if the Pmag doesn't work out.

Thanks for pointing that out.  i would have not thought of that on my own.  i have some 5 rnd steel mags and 10 rnd PMags so i will try them both. 

i did get a demo pack from Sierra Bullets in the mail today but it being mother's day weekend i probably won't get a chance to test it out for a couple of days.  I'll let you know once i get the time.

Update, i was able to get out to the range and fired 10 rounds from a single mag.  they all fed and fired flawlessly.  i am working on putting together a video which i will share once it's done but for now here are the bullet points (pun intended :laffs:)

- used a Radical Arms upper 1:8 twist, 16" barrel, pistol length gas system upper (standard A2 FH)

- rounds had an O.A.L. of ~1.83 in.  i think one was 1.828"

- loaded on a lee precision loadmaster with lee precision steel 300 AAC dies with the lee precision auto drum measure

- tested with 2 types of bullets:

16 minutes ago, mine_is_7.62 said:

ugh press the enter key too fast.  here is the complete post.  couldn't figure out how to delete the original so sorry for the 2x post.

Update, i was able to get out to the range and fired 10 rounds from a single mag.  they all fed and fired flawlessly.  i am working on putting together a video which i will share once it's done but for now here are the bullet points (pun intended :laffs:)

- used a Radical Arms upper 1:8 twist, 16" barrel, pistol length gas system upper (standard A2 FH)

- rounds had an O.A.L. of ~1.83 in.  i think one was 1.828"

- loaded on a lee precision loadmaster with lee precision steel 300 AAC dies with the lee precision auto drum measure

- tested with 2 types of bullets: #2100 from Sierra (110gr RN lead tip) and 110gr RN FMJ from Frontier

* the Sierra bullets with the lead tips would not feed well (I imagine the #2105 would run perfectly but I only had the #2100 to test).  I could get 1/4 to feed from a mag.  I tested from both steel and pmags  the mag/feed ramps would bite into the lead and it would push the bullet into the case

* the Frontier FMJ bullets all fed perfectly from the PMAG (gen 2 for those who care).  they would not feed from the steel mag.  the steel mag would grab a piece of the bullet as it left and the amount of friction would push the bullet into the case. 

- the FMJ bullets would get gouged a bit from the feed ramps so accuracy is not going to be great, but it makes a great plinking round I think.

USE THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK:

Trim length was ~1.36+ inches, ~15.5 gr Hogdon 'Lil Gun, was able to shoot 3" group @ 25 yards with a cheap $30 red dot sight.  the range I went to would not let me setup the chronograph (it was an indoor range) so I don't have the rest of the data yet. 

I am sure I am leaving some info out so let me know if I missed anything.

Again this is my result, yours may be different.  Please use the load data at your own risk.  This forum is full of ppl willing to help and great tips on how to reload safely.

Bottom line is yes they work which is the original question, but i would not use them for anything other than an option for cheap range ammo

• 2 years later...

I've been shooting Hornady 110gr RN out of my 16" AR, pistol length gas system, M4. A mild charge,17.4 gr of H110 at Hornady book COL. So far great accuracy out to 50yrds (clover leaf), cycles well, no complaints in the first 250 rnds. Using 10 rnd P-mag only had 2 FTF in 250 rnds. Might have a unicorn here, but like McDonalds says " I'm loving it".  

I know I'm missing the blackout boat with 110 supers, but for a cheap plinker that hits what you aim at... it's fun.

Edited by 308loader