• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

DPMS GII Feed Ramps

FastbackJon

DPMS GII MOE

New rifle, just breaking in. Having some failure to feed issues. Seeing dented brass even when no failure to feed.

So I check out the feed ramps and see the DPMS detachable steel feed ramp sits quite a bit higher than the ramps in the lower.

Should I be concerned about this? If so send it back or dremel it myself?

Thanks!

SAM_4893.JPG

SAM_4956.JPG

Capture308.JPG

Agree with Robocop , soft points work for some rifles , but mostly an issue waiting to happen . If you shave some lead off the tip & it may not be a one time event , it may find its way into the Chamber & could cause a dangerous Head Space issue , why take the chance .

Take a photo with a loaded mag in the Rifle , looking through the Ejection Port , to see what angle the Cartridge is at , you could have a Magazine issue . If Metal mag ( DPMS ) the feed lips could need tweaking  . If you think the Feed Ramps are not blended correctly , you can send it back in or Blend them your self , if you feel you are capable of doing it properly . I would try different ammo , because DPMS is going to tell you to use some kind of match ammo or something . 

I look at it this way , any 308AR should have no issues feeding & firing M80 Ball ammo , try a box of it .  The Brass looks like it has Ejection marks or Bolt Locking Lug marks on them from being pinched in the Chamber area , when not fed into the Chamber .

Thanks for the info on the soft points. I'll start using ball ammo only going forward. And good tips on the magazine. I have been using PMAG Gen3.

The brass rounds from Federal actually cycled better than the steel cased Tula 150g ball ammo rated at 2800 fps (yeah, I know, but it was cheap). I believe those were short stroking where the bolt carrier wouldn't get pushed back far enough to grab the rear of the cartridge, and instead the carrier would run along the side and put a big scratch in it.

The rifle should be adequately lubed, so from what I read it's either not broken in enough yet, the buffer is too stiff, it is under gassed, or the rounds are weak.

I was mostly wondering about the alignment ridge in the middle of the feed ramp and the dents in the brass, but no one seems to think the feed ramp is a concern.

I'll get some M80 ball brass cased ammo and see how that runs.

The feed ramps are fine, as long as they are smooth and your rifle feeds properly.

And, believe it or not, the dents are from the ejection cycle... the cases are banging the case deflector or even the ejection port.

You would be surprised how much .308 cases fly around upon ejection ( P.S. ..NOT extraction ).. spinning etc...

Personally... ( and YMMV ) I'd plan on slowing the cyclic speed.

An adjustable GB might be in your future....

2 hours ago, FastbackJon said:

Thanks for the info on the soft points. I'll start using ball ammo only going forward. And good tips on the magazine. I have been using PMAG Gen3.

The brass rounds from Federal actually cycled better than the steel cased Tula 150g ball ammo rated at 2800 fps (yeah, I know, but it was cheap). I believe those were short stroking where the bolt carrier wouldn't get pushed back far enough to grab the rear of the cartridge, and instead the carrier would run along the side and put a big scratch in it.

The rifle should be adequately lubed, so from what I read it's either not broken in enough yet, the buffer is too stiff, it is under gassed, or the rounds are weak.

I was mostly wondering about the alignment ridge in the middle of the feed ramp and the dents in the brass, but no one seems to think the feed ramp is a concern.

I'll get some M80 ball brass cased ammo and see how that runs.

More lube the better

My G2 is still new to me but in 250rnds I didn't have a malfunction. I shoot polymer tip cartridges too(Hornady Black). I was strongly advised to invest in Lancer Magazines by DPMS and the FFL. This was based on some failure to feed issues reported by shooters using Pmags and even the factory steel mag. 

It may be worth a try to see if Lancer mags help. 

iipsrv-2.jpg

Lancer-L7-magazine.jpg

Edited by FreeMan