• Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Big boy wildcats

John4rest

Greetings from Iowa,

Moving up from ar15. 

Interested in some of the bigger wildcat rounds in the ppc style case, anyone fooling around with them?

Also thinking about an 80% lower with a side charge upper. Might as well empty the whole 9 yards. 

Opinions on doing a 80%  what brand of jigs do guys like or hate and what lowers to machine? 

I liked using Aero's Enhanced upper on my last ar 15. That cast in barrel nut and collar system was slick and easy.

With all the talk about the new Valkyrie, I think I'll go the other direction just for spite.

Let me know what you think...

John

Welcome - you looking to build a wildcatted-Large Frame AR, or looking for another wildcat for the AR15s?  You looked at the .277 Wolverine?  What are some of the ones you've done so far?...

Edited by 98Z5V

I've put a 6.5 Grendel together and I really like it. The 15 frame is nice but there is always a compromise made for weight and mag length. Be fun to just have free reign on cartridge selection and there are several PPC designs that I think require the 10 frame.  Was really interested in a Beowulf for the 15. But If I go to a bigger frame I am almost scared to find out whats available for a big blaster.

Howdy from the Texas side of the borders.  I've built a 6.5 Grendel and a 6.8 SPC on the AR-15 platform and 6.5 Creedmore and .338 Federal on the AR308 (DPMS) platform.  Just be careful as you move into the various calibers on the larger platform as tolerance stacking can make you do a lot of fine tuning (and machining).  If you enjoy that it is a lot of fun, at least it has been for me.  If you want everything to work from the first trigger pull, well, good luck!