• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Guidance requested on a modification

bubbas4570

I have been pondering something before I actually do it. 

I need to remove my F marked A-frame gas block in order to make clearance for my scout style mounted scope now.....and I am having a hard timemaking sure I do this the best way.

Long story's short,  my A-frame gas block is pinned, and I do have a set screw style gas block on hand, but am worried about getting it "set" correctly with the set screws. I am inclined to  think that a pin style gas block would still be a better option. This would be more rugged, less prone to failure, then just getting or finding another pinned front sight block,. another option would be to take a grinder or cutting disc to my current front sight gas block and make it work for me. One final option is to purchase on of those preground type of gas blocks that look like an A-frame ground down.

Thoughts or opinions from those who know more and have done it before, please.

1 hour ago, bubbas4570 said:

any difference between a clamp on or set screw block for reliability?

In theory the set screw used in barrel dimples would be more secure from turning but I have not had an issue with either. The Geissele block has set screws and then a hole so it can be pinned to the barrel.

37 minutes ago, survivalshop said:

That Pin thingy is a great idea , but I have done so many , its second nature to align them .

I always thought the pin was there to stop any movement from abuse, not for alignment? Those big old A2 front sights would get the crap knocked out of them and never budge a bit. Eventually my Geissele block will get pinned when it comes to rest on the right build.

9 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

I always thought the pin was there to stop any movement from abuse, not for alignment? Those big old A2 front sights would get the crap knocked out of them and never budge a bit. Eventually my Geissele block will get pinned when it comes to rest on the right build.

I was referring to those break away alignment pins for setting up the GB . Pinned A2 sight types are the most secure of all GB's & the Geissle is also right up there .

There is data that any pinned or pressure on the Barre ( especially  light weight bbl's. ) can effect the inside of the Barrel , slight bulging & could effect accuracy , though I don't  believe it would be much for a Combat or Defensive weapon , but them Match guys think of everything . Its why I use only Clamp on Gas Blocks , but not for match shooting , I just believe they surround the Barrel & evenly distribute clamping pressure around the circumference of the Barrel , instead of one or two pin points .

16 hours ago, bubbas4570 said:

Those look like they work!

Thanks, COBrian.

No problem! I stumbled upon them a couple months ago.

Having said that, I don't know that it's quite as simple as the guy in the video makes it out to be. As mentioned above, given the various gas port sizes used, most gas blocks have a much larger opening.

I'd recommend moving the gas block one direction (i.e., to the left) until it stops on the pin, then the other direction until it stops on the pin, then split the difference and torque it down. Then you'd be perfectly centered.

That is about what I figured it would take. Those two guys went farther and took off the bayo lug and swivel, but mind is outside of the handguard so that isn't really needed.

I was actually even thinking about doing "on the gun", but will remove it to get a better finished product.