• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Which metal mags are you using?

AMERIKINSHIP

I have Gen3 LR/SR PMAGs and I just received my first Lancer L7AWM to try out.  I have zero experience with metal mags. Which metal mags are your go to? 

My rifle is a DIY AERO M5E1 and this is the build thread

I'm looking for some steel or aluminum mags to have on hand for the future. These would mainly be to have and store, after checking function of course.

I only have one metal mag. DPMS 19-rd mag.  I've never even loaded it with ammo.  PMags and Lancers, though.  That's another story.

All my 5.56 metal mags - a grip of them.  They have all been rebuilt - new springs, MagPul followers, and MagPul floorplates. 

I use the original DPMS LR308 10,20,and 30 round on the factory LR308 and use  the GI and Springfield mags on the M1A. I also use magpul plastic mags on the LR308. Actually I think that the original DPMS mag is a 19 rounder.

98Z , is a " grip of mags" a fractional number of a bazillion or a multitude of a bazillion or just a  $hitpot full of mags.......Which I think is a large number of which, I am not sure of?

On 4/13/2018 at 10:10 PM, 98Z5V said:

I only have one metal mag. DPMS 19-rd mag.  I've never even loaded it with ammo.  PMags and Lancers, though.  That's another story.

All my 5.56 metal mags - a grip of them.  They have all been rebuilt - new springs, MagPul followers, and MagPul floorplates. 

Edited by mrmackc

I can't decide. Mag reviews for an AR in .308/7.62 are way more hit or miss than 5.56/.223.......or so it seems. I really need to just buy 2 or 3 of a few different brands and see how they do. But apparently I'm a cheapass and can't get past the thought of paying shipping from 4 different places. That actually kills me to think about. I'm tempted to try those DPMS mags. But I'm also thinking about buying a pair of the Larue 7.62's. 

And then it's all just kinda silly because I know the PMAGs work great. But that doesn't give me that warm fuzzy feeling of having a bunch of spare metal magazines.

• 2 weeks later...

It was a brain cart. I only have 4  20 round and  which one is actually 19 round that one is the one that came with the LR308. I ordered 3 Magpul that I can't find. I think they are 20round. I have 2 10 round metal after market.

Looking to pick up some mags for the PA10. As of right now Pmags (PMAG GEN M3 LR/SR 308/7.62x51) and hexmags (Hexmag Series 2 AR-10, SR25, .308/7.62X51) both work fine. Both feed well. Hexmag is a little tight on empty free drop. light sanding would fix this.  Any suggestions as to what others (steel) should work in the PA10?

Review seem to say that (ASC AR-10 308/7.62x51 20-Round Stainless Steel Magazine) work well in the PA10

info from  gunmagswarehouse.com

Thanks

Edited by GoodByNAair

3 hours ago, GoodByNAair said:

Any suggestions as to what others (steel) should work in the PA10?

Lancer is top notch equipment, I've got a rifle that doesn't like them but that is pretty rare. They have the largest C.O.A.L. capacity I have measured, even more than Magpul M118's;

https://lancer-systems.com/awc/advanced-warfighter-magazines/#1483980531973-35af8bb1-1abe

On 5/1/2018 at 4:45 PM, Rsquared said:

Now you know that you can't buy these in our state. Sure hope that you don't go to Pennsy or Virginia any time soon. :lmao:

Well, so much for this quote then!...   :banana:

Welcome from the "gun loving state" of Maryland..:laffs:

On 5/1/2018 at 7:45 PM, Rsquared said:

Now you know that you can't buy these in our state. Sure hope that you don't go to Pennsy or Virginia any time soon. :lmao:

Nooo really?? I have my ways har har. You missed one WV:evil:

Welcome from the "gun loving state" of Maryland.  Yeah MD is a joke, no joke. its sad.

Edited by GoodByNAair

Well I bit the bullet and decided to try a pair of Larue 20 round 7.62 mags. I'm thinking hard about a pair of ASCs and DPMS' as well. The one thing that sucks about this platform is how much more trial and error is involved. It also doesn't help that there is a wide and wild disparity of recommendations as to what works and what doesn't. If my bank account wasn't so anemic, this whole 'you get what you pay for' deal wouldn't be as much of an issue. ?