• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

PSA AR 308 barrel nut removel

Str8shooter

Ok so Im expecting this to be a rehash but here goes.

I have a PSA Gen2 PA10 18" Midlength .308 WIN 1:10 Stainless Steel 15" M-Lok Upper with BCG & CH - 516447164 that I am replacing the barrel on.  I am going to a BSF carbon fiber barrel.  I have seen all sorts of horror stories online about them.  I have contacted them and have gotten various answers such as 1 1/3 or 30MM open end wrench.  I've also seen online 1 1/8.  

Anyone done this on the ar10 from them?   Any help would be appreciated.  I'd rather only buy once when it comes to the wrench.  

Thanks Boot, would you happen to have a caliper handy to measure the flats on you barrel nut?  Did you have the free float handguard?  I'd really like to get this off with the least amount of issue.  I personally like the handguard that come's with it.  So cold instead of heat?  I'm kind of surprised by that.  did you use a large crescent wrench or an actual box werench?  BTW I can verify that the echo 2 trigger will not fit in the PSA lower.  LOL  I have two.  

Thanks all.  I will let you know how it goes once the new barrel comes in next week.  I really wanted to upgrade the barrel to the BSF CF red barrel.  How did you all find the accuracy on the factory stick?  I haven't even put rounds down it.  

Edited by Str8shooter

2 hours ago, Str8shooter said:
  • Well this has gotten interesting.  It's not 1 1/4 or 1 5/16(too small) and 1 1/2 is too big.  Good times trying to sort through em.  I ran out of sizes so I may have to go to a big crescent wrench.  ugh.

I have used a chunk of shim stock on the jaw of a slightly oversized wrench and got away with it. We call it farmering around here.

On 11/18/2018 at 11:32 AM, Str8shooter said:
  • Well this has gotten interesting.  It's not 1 1/4 or 1 5/16(too small) and 1 1/2 is too big.  Good times trying to sort through em.  I ran out of sizes so I may have to go to a big crescent wrench.  ugh.

Sounds like 1 3/8" or probably a Metric.  If in doubt measure across the flats like you know what you are doing.

• 1 year later...