• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

The fall and rise of the AR-10

Alan Waters

I can see this comment leading to confusion;

"Capable of digesting everything from a short- to long-action cartridges, the AR-10 has chewed through ammunition as diverse as the iconic .30-06 to modified .45-70 Govt., and even .338 Lapua Magnum. Definitely an asset in a landscape where shooters demand specific rifles, calibers and configurations to meet their purposes."

Thankfully they go in depth on the difference between AR-10 and LR 308.

9 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

"Capable of digesting everything from a short- to long-action cartridges, the AR-10 has chewed through ammunition as diverse as the iconic .30-06 to modified .45-70 Govt., and even .338 Lapua Magnum. Definitely an asset in a landscape where shooters demand specific rifles, calibers and configurations to meet their purposes."

Thankfully they go in depth on the difference between AR-10 and LR 308.

Ya , I think they are saying the basic large frame platform is versatile & can be used in many configurations .Be it the AR10 or LR 308 in many calibers .

Early on here on the forum we generalized by differentiating between the standard AR and 'large-frame ARs'. The latter encompasses not only the 308 AR platforms, but also the proprietary platforms that handle long-action (and larger) center-fire cartridges, ie Noreen and such. We briefly considered renaming the forum and moving to another domain name for that reason, but decided against it.

AR10 is unfortunately going to be a generalized label for the large-frame ARs, for better or worse. I can only hope enough people gain enough interest to inform themselves and promote the use of proper nomenclature.

On 12/9/2018 at 7:27 PM, jtallen83 said:

Yes, that comment was highly fucked up.  Somebody is gonna buy an "AR-10" and think they're gonna convert it to 30-06, 45-70 and .338 LM, just because that article stated it. 

Any nothing could be further from the truth.

Anything that's Short Action (in bolt guns) can run in the Big Frame AR.  Anything that's Long Action won't, at all.  Gonna have to have special receivers made for that, which will include special-length BCGs for the longer receivers, then you're confined in the receiver extension length that you need to stuff that longer BCG into - which means you need to redesign a new recoil system - or have a custom-depth receiver extension made.  Then you gotta figure out the buffer spring and buffer weight...

It wouldn't be a small task - and isn't, for the custom ones that are out there.  30-06 seems to be the most common, if you counted numbers of manufacturers that make one in the AR (I think there are two).  There's a 45-70 out there, in Recoil magazine - but it's not, really.  It's some hybrid round that's not really a 45-70, though it uses the 45-70 projectile.  A damn 45-70 round is only 2.550 COL, for a max length, but the case rim diameter is 0.608" - that's what get's it.  For a bolt size that would live through it, you'd have to run a .338 Lapua Magnum-sized AR, with it's case diameter at 0.588".  ...and you'd have to bore that bolt face, and relieve the extractor for it.  On a 338LM AR bolt - that's crazy...  :banana:

@Robocop1051,you gotta get this one brainstorming, brother...    

Edited by 98Z5V

11 hours ago, Alan Waters said:

I'm glad you pointed that out 98. I wondered about it but after putting my foot in my mouth previously I decided to keep my uneducated opinion to myself.

You are way good, brother - WAY good.  You can bring up and say anything you want, anywhere here.  :thumbup:

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

@Robocop1051,you gotta get this one brainstorming, brother...    

What if I told you... I just got off the phone with my SEAL friend (not “that” one, a different one) who dabbles in ballistics. He wants to make my .500 Blackout a reality. The numbers he was talking are INSANE. 

4 minutes ago, Robocop1051 said:

What if I told you... I just got off the phone with my SEAL friend (not “that” one, a different one) who dabbles in ballistics. He wants to make my .500 Blackout a reality. The numbers he was talking are INSANE. 

I'm ASS-DEEP in it, brother.  Get me and that guy on the phone, and let's do the Magic Three Way...   :hump::banana:  You have no idea how bad I want to see this happen, brother,  No way.

34 minutes ago, Robocop1051 said:

I asked him, “can I do it with an 18” barrel?”

he responded, “you could do it with12?”

It already gets it done with a 16", with no loss of power - @DNPs gun proves that one.  Blowing up the teller glass, and all.  Knocking targets apart.  I'm in.  :thumbup:

I'll run ballistic numbers based on my load tomorrow night, and get them in here.

7 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

It already gets it done with a 16", with no loss of power - @DNPs gun proves that one.  Blowing up the teller glass, and all.  Knocking targets apart.  I'm in.  :thumbup:

I'll run ballistic numbers based on my load tomorrow night, and get them in here.

The bigger bore stuff expansion ratio comes into play. Pressure drops off much more quickly with larger bore.  The 16" Iowa battleship "rifles" are actually  a 50 caliber long barrel ? Which if they were 45 acp would be a 22" barrel roughly, 

Bill