• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

308 ammo advice

I wanted to ask the opinion of you gentleman on different weight bullets for my RPR 308. I'm currently shooting federal gold 168gr Sierra match, shoots well so far. What are your opinions on 149gr, limitations etc.? I'm assuming a lighter bullet will not preform as well out far as a heavier bullet that is why I'm asking here because I am not as knowledgeable as most of you. Any information would be great, thank you

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 147s will still be accurate, brother.  You'll start seeing the difference at 500 yards and out, though - more drop than your 168s, and more susceptible to wind deflection.  The drop and dope you know for the 168s will be a little different on the 147s, starting 500.  Might be a little different at 400.  At 300 and in, it won't be off hardly at all.

Edited by 98Z5V

Lone   get you some Privi match 168...theres 175 too but I always shoot the 168 cause my scope is tuned to the 168 drop....saves bucks and shoots right there with the Federal....shop wisely and you can save some money.           :thumbup:    Wash

not a great price but sumthin to go by   https://www.sgammo.com/product/308-win-762x51-ammo/20-round-box-308-match-168-grain-bthp-prvi-partizan-ammo-pp321

Edited by washguy

2 hours ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

Found I can get the 149's 1/3 cheaper than 168, or 175gr. Curious why such a price difference 

Big difference in match ammo and M80 ball if that's the comparison you are making. Tolerances are held much tighter on the match stuff hence the price difference. Last batch of Federal M80 I bought is pretty sloppy, occasionally get a 1 MOA five round group but see plenty in the 3 MOA range, still great for banging steel at 100 yards. I have some FN M80 ball that shoots 1 MOA easy all the time. FGMM is the most consistent I have used but that Prvi Wash suggested is right on the heels of the FGMM, any difference could very well be my imagination. 

1 hour ago, washguy said:

Lone   get you some Privi match 168...theres 175 too but I always shoot the 168 cause my scope is tuned to the 168 drop....saves bucks and shoots right there with the Federal....shop wisely and you can save some money.           :thumbup:    Wash

not a great price but sumthin to go by   https://www.sgammo.com/product/308-win-762x51-ammo/20-round-box-308-match-168-grain-bthp-prvi-partizan-ammo-pp321

Thank you, I will give that a check

39 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

Big difference in match ammo and M80 ball if that's the comparison you are making. Tolerances are held much tighter on the match stuff hence the price difference. Last batch of Federal M80 I bought is pretty sloppy, occasionally get a 1 MOA five round group but see plenty in the 3 MOA range, still great for banging steel at 100 yards. I have some FN M80 ball that shoots 1 MOA easy all the time. FGMM is the most consistent I have used but that Prvi Wash suggested is right on the heels of the FGMM, any difference could very well be my imagination. 

I know the ball ammo will not be Precision like what I'm using now or even better yet reloads. I was mainly curious about how  a lighter bullet would hold up at further distances. Also slightly stumped why different weights are different prices depending on the brand. Seems like they just hold the price  up higher on the more desired weights because they can...

49 minutes ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

I know the ball ammo will not be Precision like what I'm using now or even better yet reloads. I was mainly curious about how  a lighter bullet would hold up at further distances. Also slightly stumped why different weights are different prices depending on the brand. Seems like they just hold the price  up higher on the more desired weights because they can...

Federal has to buy those Sierra Match bullets from Sierra, albeit at a discount. I am guessing they make their 147 gr FMJ in house, without near the quality control Sierra is using for a match bullet.  That right there will cause a large price differential.

That is good stuff. When I am not shooting handloads of Sierra 168 or 175 gr

BTHP’s, that is the stuff I buy. And Privi is a close second. So close I probably wouldn’t notice the difference. Matt or 98 might, but not at the distances I normally shoot.

Just now, Sisco said:

That is good stuff. When I am not shooting handloads of Sierra 168 or 175 gr

BTHP’s, that is the stuff I buy. And Privi is a close second. So close I probably wouldn’t notice the difference. Matt or 98 might, but not at the distances I normally shoot.

What distances are you primarily shooting?

22 hours ago, washguy said:

Even better when I visited site. 2 cases, $297.79 including shipping!(400rounds) 

On 1/17/2019 at 4:14 PM, Lonewolf McQuade said:

What distances are you primarily shooting?

My main go-to distance for testing final loads and drops is 845 yards.  Come up with loads and test for accuracy at 100 yards, and see how they do, starting at 0.3 grains apart.  Pick the best ones with no pressure signs, and reload them in that range at 0.2 grains apart.  Retest at 100 yards, and finalize the load.  After that, they go to 500 yards and 845 yards for testing of the drop at those distances. It's quite the fun process...   :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

18 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

My main go-to distance for testing final loads and drops is 845 yards.  Come up with loads and test for accuracy at 100 yards, and see how they do, starting at 0.3 grains apart.  Pick the best ones with no pressure signs, and reload them in that range at 0.2 grains apart.  Retest at 100 yards, and finalize the load.  After that, they go to 500 yards and 845 yards for testing of the drop at those distances. It's quite the fun process...   :thumbup:

Sounds like fun! (If all goes well)

Edited by Lonewolf McQuade