• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

308 ammo advice

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's something to think about.

I've bought pallets worth of ammo from SGAMMO over the years.

They always kill you on shipping, say if you want to try a couple of boxes of different types of ammo until you find what you like.

I went to Target Sports a few months ago and signed up for their Prime membership.

It's paid for itself in a month.

My first order was a bunch of Federal 5.56,not 223 @ $225 a thousand.

Next up some CCI @ $0.03 a round.

Right now they have 308 Remington match ammo @ $0.38 a round.

All their ammo is at damn near wholesale prices and free shipping whether it's one box or a pallet.

They also send you gifts of ammo that coincides with your purchases,that alone was almost worth the $99 yearly fee.

Just something to think about.

Edited by Ravenworks

7 minutes ago, Ravenworks said:

Here's something to think about.

I've bought pallets worth of ammo from SGAMMO over the years.

They always kill you on shipping, say if you want to try a couple of boxes of different types of ammo until you find what you like.

I went to Target Sports a few months ago and signed up for their Prime membership.

It's paid for itself in a month.

My first order was a bunch of Federal 5.56,not 223 @ $225 a thousand.

Next up some CCI @ $0.03 a round.

Right now they have 308 Remington match ammo @ $0.38 a round.

All their ammo is at damn near wholesale prices and free shipping whether it's one box or a pallet.

They also send you gifts of ammo that coincides with your purchases,that alone was almost worth the $99 yearly fee.

Just something to think about.

Good to know, thanks.

• 5 months later...

Has anyone taken an animal with the PPU 168gr BTHP match ammo? In your experience,  how did it perform? I ask because I've been using it for ground hogs & having various results.  Many times I "believe " it's not opening up, similar to the fmj.  Sometimes it punches quite the hole! Maybe better performance on a larger more solid animal such as a deer? Last Saturday,  i shot a fuc%ing groundhog twice at 634 yards! Definite hits, yet the little bastard still made it back to his hole 15 yards away! Another hog I shot at about 450 yards, the bullet definitely mushroomed & took a grapefruit sized chunk out of his rear & back and he was able to drag his self with the front legs back to his hole! Never had this issue with any other calibers including my 22. Granted,  all my other cartridges with the exception of the 22 use ballistic tips. I'm just a concernedvhow they may perform on large game. Obviously shot placement is important,  but 168gr hp on a football size how critter should be more devastating I would have thought.?? The PPU rounds have been EXTREMELY accurate out of my RPR, OUT TO 800 yards so far! Haven't shot beyond that yet, maybe this weekend.