• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, GGGwood said:

Thanks everybody...

I am also in need of a trigger. Looking at the cassette drop in 3.5- 5 lb range. Any thoughts, recomendations?  What brands have you installed, used and abused, love, hate, work, or dont work?

I have Timney, Velocity, and LaRue. For the money, LaRue MBT-2S, BUT they could charge double and it would still be a steal. If you want a single stage, the Velocity is just as good as the Timney, IMO

On 2/1/2019 at 9:40 PM, 98Z5V said:

Looking at a bunch of triggers. Does anyone have experience with Rise Armament triggers. The RA-434 AR trigger caught my eye earlier. I have also looked at Elftmann and Velocity. Thoughts.....

Edited by GGGwood

15 minutes ago, GGGwood said:

Looking at a bunch of triggers. Does anyone have experience with Rise Armament triggers. The RA-434 AR trigger caught my eye earlier. I have also looked at Elftmann and Velocity. Thoughts.....

I have used the Rise and the fit wasn't good, as in hard to get it into the trigger cavity in the lower, pin bushings not pressed in correctly. Never a problem with Velocity, Elftmann or JMT single stage triggers. 

What is your goal for this rifle, Woody?  Precision work, or "speed work?"  You wanna be accurate with it, at distance?  Reason I ask is because every one of those triggers - that you said I quoted - are all single-stage triggers.  Those are not accuracy triggers. 

For accuracy work, you should look at a 2-stage trigger  - and the LaRue MBT-2S is one HELL of a trigger for $87.  And twice that price.  If you wanna get freaky, just get a Geissele Hi-Speed trigger, set it up with the National Match springs, tune it in, and you'll never shoot a better trigger than that.

We can get more into the trigger theory, but you need to state what you want the trigger for.  The two extreme answers are "Fast as FUK" trigger!!!  and "Accuracy trigger..." There's a happy medium in all that - but state your primary purpose for the rifle, brother...

I'll tell you my observations on triggers, single-stage versus 2-stage.

A single-stage trigger is a FASTASS trigger, and you can't beat the split times you'll see with one, especially a GREAT one (Geissele Super 3-Gun trigger).  For precision or accuracy work, a single-stage trigger is not going to compare to a 2-stage trigger. I can't even tell you how many of those things I have, unless I seriously count them all.  Geissele, Armalite NM, and a shitpot full of other ones.  The LaRue MBT-2S is something I never pass up anymore, for a 2-stage.  Only other trigger I'll buy over that will be a Geissele Hi-Speed NM trigger, but it better be for a really special gun build - or I'll get the LaRue. 

You can shot a 2-stage trigger FAST.  You can't necessarily make a single-stage trigger into an accuracy trigger.  The one exception I can tell you on that is the Geissele Super 3-gun trigger - that's a single-stage that you can shoot accurately - once you train for it. That is definitely way outside what it was designed for, though.

Edited by 98Z5V

This will not be a speed rifle. Long range, Target and hunting rifle. Thank you for your knowledge on the subject. Even watching a ton of videos and reviews, nobody really goes into the strengths and weaknesses between single and two stage triggers and what is best used for an application. All they talk about is brake and reset.  ???

2-stage, all the way for you, brother - completely.  What you can do is get the LaRue MBT-2S for $87 buck.  Later, down the road, if you want to get crazy, you have that option, with the Geissele Hi-Speed National Match (or DMR setup in it).

Here's the 2-stage deal - good ones will have an initial pull weight, and you'll pull to that and hit a "stop" - and THAT point, you apply more pressure and the shot breaks. That right there is what makes "accuracy" - You can repeatedly duplicate every single time you will break that shot, without fail.

So, on the LaRue, it's a 2.5/4.5 combined pull weight.  you apply 2.5lbs to the trigger and it pulls back to that "stop" point,and you'll FEEL it.  You apply ANOTHER 2lbs of pressure to that, and it breaks clean, from RIGHT THERE at that stop you hit.  It's an incredibly clean, smooth, crisp trigger for a precision AR.  You can go lighter (Geissele SSA-E, 3.5lb combined pull, $240), and a bunch of others.  The Geissele Hi-Speed, you can set up with the National Match springs, and get an initial pull as low as 1.5lbs on the first stage, and 6oz on the secondary break. It's a freak of nature. I highly DON'T recommend it, starting off.  That thing is $280.

For $87, you can't beat that LaRue.

I've got a metric shiit-ton of triggers - ask about just about any of them, and I've either got it, or I've shot it.  I've even been accused of being a "fraud" due to having adjustable triggers that I received, and I didn't feel they needed to be adjusted - perfect as I received it and shot it - then accused for not adjusting it.  Fucking ludicrous... :thefinger::laffs:

• 3 weeks later...

@98Z5V I spoke with someone at Criterion a year or so ago re: the barrel I ended up buying for my CSASS.

With the exception of the barrels they make for Fulton Armory, Criterion "AR-10" barrels are DPMS-based in every sense -- extensions are DPMS-spec, and gas systems are DPMS/AR-15 standard lengths.

The FA barrels use Armalite gas port locations, with DPMS-spec extensions.

6 hours ago, COBrien said:

@98Z5V I spoke with someone at Criterion a year or so ago re: the barrel I ended up buying for my CSASS.

With the exception of the barrels they make for Fulton Armory, Criterion "AR-10" barrels are DPMS-based in every sense -- extensions are DPMS-spec, and gas systems are DPMS/AR-15 standard lengths.

The FA barrels use Armalite gas port locations, with DPMS-spec extensions.

That's cool, and I hope that's the case -  doesn't matter what a company does, as long as they are clear on it, and it's not that in-between crap.  However, most of this has really started turning up in the last year, all over the place, with all kinds of manufacturers.  (cough,cough, WC, too...  cough,cough)...

I'd like to see if that's still the case here. 

2 minutes ago, DNP said:

I'm trying to remember if I bought my tube from FA when I got my barrel way back when. 

That was early 2010, brother. 

You did - at the time, they were the ONLY ones selling the 16" rifle gas barrels.  Nobody else wanted any of that, back then, because they couldn't figure it out.  Clint McKee figured it out, though.  :hail: