• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

The danger of self enabling

• 9 months later...

I finally got this back out yesterday.  It was wet and 45°F so I only put about 30 more rounds through it. 

I changed the buffer to an H2 because it is what I had.  It cycled and picked up the next round every time and held open on the last round like it is supposed to.  It still kicks like @sketch's  458.

I then changed the buffer spring to a Sprinco Red that I borrowed.  It started having the same cycling problems again so I changed the springs back.  I think it may like the red spring and an H3 buffer.  I will also change the muzzle device to see what I can do to tame the recoil enough for Susan to shoot it.

I did not try to adjust the aim too much.  Every time I shot it more than a few times, the scope loosened up.  I forgot that I put that on there for looks and didn't use anything to keep it tight.

As mentioned you can make your own mags by changing the follower or you can modify them.  I made my own by modifying the stock followers with a round file.  I just gently clamped them up in a soft jawed vise and filed a trough or channel in them to keep the cartridge in the center of the magazine.

I've owned a 450 Bushmaster for quite a while now, excellent round and one of the most accurate rifles in my line-up.  If most of if not all of the rounds fired down range aren't pretty much in the same hole at 100 yards you just didn't do your part! 

I don't find the recoil bad at all.  It "thumps" a little from the bench when sighting in but not even noticed in a hunting scenario.  Below is a pic of mine, and the very first target I shot with it sighting it in.  I fired a couple of rounds which struck high right, moved the scope then put 5 rounds in the same hole.

Third pic is a recovered bullet (most pass clear thru) from a huge whitetail buck at 200 yards.  The bullet was just under the skin after passing thru both shoulders......

002.JPG

IMG_4464.JPG

IMG_1279.jpg