Building a 308 from an idea I had...

RedRiverII

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, SimonSays said:

Again, that was some fine a$$ writing. Kudos 🤗

Brother, that was Coors Light-Induced, after I read something that someone said, that prompted me...   :thumbup::lmao:

You should see me around a campfire...    :banana:

19 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Check out Fulton Armory’s high pressure bolt, their whole BCG is a sweet piece of machinery for a good price.

Many others prefer the 260, boils down to a reloading question, do you? If you do then 260 is the deal. Many of the pros prefer it. 

https://www.recoilweb.com/todd-hodnett-the-long-range-cowboy-108460.html

^^^  That single article, that I still have in print magazine, influenced my entire .260 Rem build - and it changed SO many things that I do for long distance shooting.  "what's your chrono on that load - how do you know the muzzle velocity without a chrono?"  Uh, I used ballistic truing to get my velocity.  That led to my Kestrel with Applied Ballistics app in it, the bluetooth Bushnell range finder that real-time communicates with the Kestrel...  That article is a literal Gold Mine of information...  There's so much more...

Very cool.  Gotta make this quick.  The info shared here answering some problems is just mighty fine.  Many times my eyes just gloss over after a paragraph or two reading elsewhere.   These articles make me want to know more and I don't feel like an outsider trying to glean in on a major secret.  Some secret squirrel explanations are obscure on purpose,  I guess,  and if not done on purpose,  the entry is wasted on a new guy.  Thanks.

Unsolicited comment from the Mrs.  "  Just because you haven't spent any money this month,"  the words began even before I acknowledged her presence,  "... doesn't mean that on July 5th you get to go out and spend thousands."  To you unmarried folks that's 'wife speak'  for hundreds.  The reference to July 5th is a euphemism.  What she really means is for all time,  forever,  eons,  time immemorial,  or until she needs, or wants me,  to make believe I enjoy her mother's company.  Then the deals show up.  Right now I'm enjoying my position,  I have another two weeks to go on the moratorium,  I don't have any hidden agenda,  and she wants me to spend the day poolside with Mom.  O joy.  No immediate leverage needed at all,  I just get to build brownie points.

I've decided on the 260 build.  The first moratorium fast breaker will be the barrel.  I've chosen the 22" barrel from Satern--Criterion--Wilson,  whoever has the best 4th of July sale.  Any suggestions or head's ups will be appreciated.  An aero receiver set will follow and then I will gather all the newly found already in my possession that I didn't know I had stock.

On 6/19/2019 at 11:49 PM, 98Z5V said:

Brother, that was Coors Light-Induced, after I read something that someone said, that prompted me...   :thumbup::lmao:

You should see me around a campfire...    :banana:

Coors light version around a campfire....

Jameson version gets a bit rough to follow. 

Ordered,  4-6 mos wait,  no cash until later,  doesn't count toward July 4th I'm thinking.  I know my brothers here are agreeing,  and what the Mrs. don't know cannot possibly ruffle her feathers.  The street in French is the answer.  I know we can keep this between us.   

DNP,  that's funny.  The actual laying out of money,  an exchange,  transference of funds, and/or  payment due,  will not happen until post 7/4/19.  It is a commitment for sure,  a promise to keep,  a deal,  but no transaction.  What's that smell?  Oh,  it must be me.  I'm bullshitting again aren't I ?

I read a review and one of the folks stated it arrived in 6 months.  Called Brad and asked about the time involved.  It takes anywhere from 4-6 months.  They didn't really want to say a definite time for some reason.  In this case 4 months works to my advantage.  If for some reason I get a " it's ready" call next week I'll be pretty upset.  That isn't the time necessary to maneuver 34 hundred,  for me anyhow.  

Build is a 6.5 Creedmoor.  Ordered a Criterion 22" barrel from Primary for 271.00,  it should arrive Fri.  Still need the receiver to go on sale for Independence Day.  I'll check out the suggested Toolcraft bolt and carrier.  Looking for sales.  Here is where I get screwed up,  I rather a bunch od supplies,  get confused,  and box the stuff until later.  Then forget about it.  This time I'm dragging the whole crew in on this deal.  I can rough in a house, (  plumbing ),  waste lines,  water lines,  vents,  gas lines,  heating,  boiler,  HW heater,  off the top of my head.  Give me three parts from a rifle build and I'm stuck.  I ordered the barrel right?  Now I'm concerned about head space,  how to adjust the chamber,  what tools,  gunsmith???  I don't have a challenge yet and I'm already stuck on finding solutions.  LOL.  Anyhow, I will keep you informed.

Found another box.  In a previous box I mentioned I had lapping compound.  This box has a Brownells AR-15 lapping tool in a still unopened plastic bag. WTphooey!  I wonder if I can check Brownells and see when I bought this thing?  Thankfully the remaining contents are simply snap caps of various sizes that I didn't use either.  I gotta sell this stuff.

My barrel ought to arrive today. I hope that aero has a sale soon,  need the lower receiver for sure,  and the upper to begin this 6.5 build.

On 6/28/2019 at 7:22 AM, RedRiverII said:

I hope that aero has a sale soon,  need the lower receiver for sure,  and the upper to begin this 6.5 build.

I can't speak to the vendor, but here is an option.

https://bkingsfirearms.com/shop/ar10-lower-receivers/aero-precision-m5-308-stripped-receiver-set-anodized-black/

18 hours ago, RedRiverII said:

I've taken advantage of your advice Doc.  Thank you.   Schuyler Arms???  Another place to spend money??  You have a mean streak Z,  dont'cha?

Just lookin' out, brother - :thumbup::lmao:

They are quite possibly the largest AP dealer out there, and there's no "proof" to my theory, just what I see.  You'll see limited edition painted sets on APs announcements, and they're sold out within minutes sometimes.  There will be MANY available on Schuyler's website for quite awhile afterwards...   That = BIG Aero dealer... 

Another great Aero dealer is "Arm Or Ally."  They just used to be Monmouth Reloading, and I've bought from Monmouth for a long time.  Once they branched out solidly into "hardware," they decided to change their name to reflect "more than just reloading." 

Both those companies are very solid, as well as Bking...  :thumbup:

I wish I got a cut from this shiit...   :lmao:

Saved some bucks on the one item already,  @bking.  I remember Monmouth,  Arm Or Ally another good place.  Unfamiliar with Schuyler at this point.  I worked in many different places in my lifetime,  different sorts of businesses.  I was a window cleaner in Manhattan for a few years,  got to meet folks that you wouldn't ordinarily get to meet.  Big shots as it were.  In my next line,  plumbing,  same same.  In short I received many business lessons from top people,  just because I like people and it shows when I meet them.  I had access to brilliant minds.  Here's a lesson I offer.  I once asked an accountant a business question while doing work at their place.  "  Do you do plumbing for free?"  I said I had done plenty of free work for folks who were down on their luck,  and returned their boilers to action so they wouldn't freeze during the cold winter nights.  He frowned, and I sorta read he thought I was a dope for doing that.  I believed him to have a mercenary type attitude. Maybe yes,  maybe no. Z,  you sure as heck know enough to earn,  but if you give it away,  well... it's a choice.  If you were to package a Z brand correct buffer system,  I'd buy a few.  I already used your info to explain to a LGS owner why his 10 was having hiccups.  I'm sure that the video making folks on youtube who direct folks to ABC manufacturing get a cut.  I'm sure you know this already.  I just realized I'm offering info to a superior minded person,  maybe I am a dope.  LOL