Building a 308 from an idea I had...

RedRiverII

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/19/2019 at 6:14 PM, SimonSays said:

98Z5V’s three part soap box speech above

I agree; I have read many of 98Z5Vs posts on those issues in the past... But this was clearly defined in very many details I hadn't seen in the same place before. Bravo!

Alright here's a legit question.  I have a Criterion barrel,  22" 6.5 Creedmoor Hybrid.  I want an adjustable gas block.  I'm in search for a gas block right?  OK My barrel has one divot on the bottom.  Most GBs I see have two set screws.  What do you do?  I called Criterion early this morning and left a message.  I called later this afternoon and left another message.  To be fair they may have just closed.  5:05 eastern time,  shrug.  Left an email message a few minutes ago.  We''ll see.  I have found many interesting gas blocks but am stumped over that one divot,  two set screw theme.  I could probably figure something out if they were in front of me,  but alas they are not.  The price spread on these things are wild.  I see from $25 to over a hundred.  I have enough parts laying around and would like to buy the right part one time.  .875 

7 minutes ago, RedRiverII said:

Most GBs I see have two set screws.  What do you do?

Most times I run with it. One is really good enough. I have a dimpling jig that can be used to add a second, it can do both dimples for five spacing sizes. I highly recommend SLR gas blocks, top quality and they back them up, strip a screw and they will get you right again.

https://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=129&product_id=603

JT,  I see that SLR with the dual holes.  One a vent and the other  for the adjustment screw,  nice stuff indeed.  I forget the name of the component,  running around too much today,  my mind is getting fuzzy,  the pressure relief thingy.  I want to buy that one but don't want to be too foolish and spend 89$ if I need to drill more holes.  Would one set screw set into the divot and one set screw merely tightened a bit do it,  or must I drill a second divot?

6 minutes ago, RedRiverII said:

Would one set screw set into the divot and one set screw merely tightened a bit do it,  or must I drill a second divot?

In my opinion one is enough for 90+% of rifles, most of my rifles are just like you said, one divot and tighten the other, I do much prefer the the clamp style for hunting and bench guns though. If it were a duty gun that your life depends on I might go for more like two and pin it. 

I figured out why it only has one dimple on the bottom of the barrel.  I'm guessing for now,  need second opinion.  One dimple pre drilled,  and the jig offers four spacing selections, .400.  .425,  .450.  .470.  I imagine different manufactures have different spaces in their design.

This thread has been a really good read , a lot of " hands on" inside info. Nothing has been added for a looking glass so thought I'd offer a bit of input on that. My intended use was about the same as your requirements. 600-1000 yards but  using .308  Was looking for something that had the HD construction of the IOR  Valdada M2 I was using but actually be able to clearly see what the target was beyond 500 yards or so. 30 cal gas guns are hell on optics, couple that with active field use and one ends up with a rather large collection of reasons why the term "Iron sights don't Die" is absolute. Tier1 optics are not cheap, but when I added up what I spent on all of the alloy tubes that rattle when ya shake em a major step up was in order....Enter US Optics ST-10 fixed 10 power 37mm, Illuminated MIL reticle, 30mm tube, side focus,EREK elevation dial. USO dropped production of this scope in 2017 or so and went to a variable version. As such, used examples of the ST-10 are showing up at what I considered a fair price for what one gets. Found mine on Ebay, in like new condition, original box, paperwork, etc. from the guy that bought it. He used it on a long range target rifle off the bench and was moving to a variable. Price....1000.00 shipped. Now something was needed to attach the  scope and a one pc mount to take advantage of the full length AR receiver rail as opposed to individual rings that were being used on my M1A/RAS set up. Aadmount had just what was needed....Price 220.00 They had a blem listed so I saved a few bucks and had that one sent. The scope/mount together weighs in @ 2lbs 7oz..Yep, its made out of metal. No plastic- pot metal stamped innards with this one.  Included a link to Aadmount, they make these up in small runs, so if you want one there may be a wait involved. They have some nifty scope covers also.

https://aadmount.com/

Optics end up being a choice that seem to vari depending on what the individual desires and the intended use. Mine are absolute rock solid construction, repeatable tracking, optical definition, reticle that is easy to use and be able to withstand the abuse I tend to administer to anything that has my name on it.

DSC04536.JPG

DSC04539.JPG

Edited by Inet

On 7/27/2019 at 10:01 PM, 98Z5V said:

1 gallon Zip-Lock bag.  Assemble inside the bag, man.  Pull that fat bag over what you're working on, and when it flies - it goes straight down, out of that bag...   :thumbup:

I use the plastic bags that come on those expensive pillows the wife buys.

You can dam near get inside with the part.