• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

80% 308 build

Has anyone had any luck finding an 80% lower that a Palmetto State Armory (PSA) upper will work with reliably?  PSA has had some great deals lately but clearly states their stuff is proprietary.  As this proprietary goes, someone usually finds a way around it.

Plan B, are there any compatibility charts that help locate brands whose parts fit well together?  I've wanted a 308 from day one but started building AR15s first because the parts were more interchangeable between brands.  Now that I have a little experience under the belt, I want to try my hand at an 80% AR-308 with respect to reliability and economy for the first build.

Thanks

Hmmm... so this may be a short lived thread.  Not a lot of feedback.

In the mean time, I ran across this reference to Hell Fire Armory and an %80 lower that will allegedly fit a PSA.  Anyone familiar? https://moriartiarmaments.com/blog/the-difference-in-308-upper-receivers-and-what-we-need-to-know.html/article

This is link to Hell Fire: https://www.hellfirearmory.com/AR-10-Parts/AR-10-Combo-Packs/AR-10-80-Lower-Receiver-with-Jig-Set-Package

I'm guessing that since no one replied, no one is familiar with them.

I don't have knowledge of PSA uppers and what they might fit with respect to 80% lowers.  The link to Moriarty was inconsistent at best.  There is no such thing as a low or high profile lower.  That is related to the height of the rail on the upper.  The main types of lowers are AR10 (Armalite) and DPMS.  I believe that PSA is closer to DPMS but not exact.

I am not saying Moriarty Arms is a bad company.  I had a great transaction on a 7.62x39 build kit.  I would contact hellfire directly to see what they say about compatibility.

6 hours ago, thequintessentialman said:

Hmmm... so this may be a short lived thread.  Not a lot of feedback.

In the mean time, I ran across this reference to Hell Fire Armory and an %80 lower that will allegedly fit a PSA.  Anyone familiar? https://moriartiarmaments.com/blog/the-difference-in-308-upper-receivers-and-what-we-need-to-know.html/article

This is link to Hell Fire: https://www.hellfirearmory.com/AR-10-Parts/AR-10-Combo-Packs/AR-10-80-Lower-Receiver-with-Jig-Set-Package

I'm guessing that since no one replied, no one is familiar with them.

Quoting an article from Moriarty Arms from 3 years ago doesn't help, either.  I don't think the PSA Gen 2 was out then, and the PSA first-gen was a train wreck of bad specs. 

The bottom line is simple - you've chosen the 80% route for a lower, based on a self-proclaimed proprietary upper.  What you should do is stick with the 80% lower, if that's your definite path - but use a known upper receiver, instead of going after lowest-priced upper receiver. 

You have to choose what you do here - not us.  I'm not the one spending your money.  If I was, I wouldn't care - because it's not my money.  You're in a tough spot with your chosen parts, and there's no supporting documentation to go from here...  :thumbup:

Let me take a shot at this.  We all want to know how this works out,  hoping it's not just another road to perdition.  i.e.  waste of time and effort,  and entering a revolving door of hard learned lessons.  I went into the 308 platform using PSA for similar reasons that you seemed to.  Money,  money,  and money.  I bought an upper and a lower for 700.  Relatively inexpensive.  I see the 80% lower and it's not all that much money to lose,  the plus side could be a nice turnabout.  You get to mess around and not have to FFL it.  There are compatibility charts on this site and it's worth looking around and spending some time, and not too much cash.  It's sorta,  coulda,  might be good.  I know,  I know not too definite an answer bit it comes with the territory for 308ar,  AR308,  DPMS,  RRA LAR308,  Armalite...

16 hours ago, thequintessentialman said:

["their kits"  can figure out how to edit on the phone.]

Have come across seemingly reliable but yet unvetted info that the Hell Fire 80% lowers will fit Gen 2 PA-10 uppers with minor mod; take down pin holes may be a shade small.  They are supposed to fit Gen 1 as is.

Don't ever go after anything that was made to fit a PSA Gen 1 - that design was a trainwreck, and they scrapped it themselves, because of how bad it was. 

3 hours ago, Albroswift said:

What Jig are you using?

The latest 5D Pro worked quite well for me on a AR15 lower,  have the 308 parts for it also but haven't done one yet. 

I have the 5D also and concur it is the best I've used so far. And I own 3 or 4 different other brand jigs also.

There is another brand as well that appears to be a clone of the 5D, shows up about page 3 of a google search. I think I went with the 5D rather then the 80 because of the cutter and router base, but to be honest I can't remember exactly why I chose it. I did look at both pretty extensively before making a choice, close call. The 5D I have does do 9/15/308, good chip extraction, and is very beefy. I also went with the recommended router, and a foot switch is a great addition as well. Zero issues. 

Modulus Arms is the other one. 

With the 5D it's easy to end up with extra parts, if you get the milling kit you don't need the mill. The 308 extender part costs the same whether you bundle it or buy it later if I remember correctly.  It does ar9/ar15 with the basic pro kit. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just started a 80% build myself. I got upper and lowers from Noreen firearms.Good prices and no complaints on product. I was actually surprised at how nice the lowers are. I went with billet piece. I am looking at lots of suppliers and trying to work thru who has best piece for price and what I actually need to spend extra on to make it best rifle I can. Too many choices on some ppieces and not sure which are hype or Johnson growers and which may really improve either durablity and/or accuracy.Example is botl carrier group Prices from 105 to 280.Differences being either coating or material made out of. Lowe end looks to same as both my current AR's. Then you have nitride  and cpl others with special coatings. Heck I am not building this to make me feel bada--.I want a dependable and very accurate rifle w/o second mortgage .

• 1 month later...

Three 80% millings done so far, a "Cheapest on the internet" AR15 Anodized Forged 7075 for practice, a 9MM Anodized Billet 6061-T6  from 5D, and a 308AR Anodized Billet 7075 T6 from American Made Tactical. They all milled cleanly, but the AMT 308 slightly cratered the 3 drilled holes (Safety and FCG) . Like a little ridge  around the hole. Not sure if it was the 7075 aluminum, anodizing, or ? but pretty sure  the drill bits are not to blame, like new. Also had a heck of a time punching the holes through, bits grabbing like nobody's business. Didn't have that problem on the other 2. Using an aluminum cutting fluid, maybe go back to WD 40 for drilling. 

8 hours ago, Albroswift said:

Three 80% millings done so far, a "Cheapest on the internet" AR15 Anodized Forged 7075 for practice, a 9MM Anodized Billet 6061-T6  from 5D, and a 308AR Anodized Billet 7075 T6 from American Made Tactical. They all milled cleanly, but the AMT 308 slightly cratered the 3 drilled holes (Safety and FCG) . Like a little ridge  around the hole. Not sure if it was the 7075 aluminum, anodizing, or ? but pretty sure  the drill bits are not to blame, like new. Also had a heck of a time punching the holes through, bits grabbing like nobody's business. Didn't have that problem on the other 2. Using an aluminum cutting fluid, maybe go back to WD 40 for drilling. 

Are you drilling each side from the outside in, or drilling all the way through?

If its the later,the bit is walking and binding up.