• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

5 Round Hunting Mags

I've looked for 5 round mags, required in Florida for hunting, and those I've found are either hugely expensive, out of stock, or both.  First thing I did when I bought the rifle was to stock up on the Magpul 20 round mags, but Magpul doesn't make a 5.  I have the 2 original facory 19 round magazines.

Question.  Has anyone modified either the factory mag or the Magpul to limit the capacity to 5 rounds?  I know that shotguns can be blocked to limit magazine capacity and be legal for hunting where a 3 round maximum is mandated, would a modified 20 meet the requirement?

My preference would be to modify one of the factory mags, possibly by inserting a block attached to the floorplate or the follower.  Thoughts?

Thanks,

John

... close enough.  Thanks!

John

Hiya  Be prepared to do a lil tweaking if you get an older dpms mag.....they had probs...wouldnt strip the first round some of the time...used my needle nose and bent the lips till she  popped em in the chamber on first charge  Wash

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Cut a block of wood or poly board ,(like a cutting board)  too fit in between the spring & make it fit any rd. count you want . I have done it with FN 20 rd. mags. for hunting before .

You will have to experiment with the length & shape , but it works & its legal , because the mag. will only except what its blocked for.When they check shotguns , they unload the shotgun & reload it to see if it will take more than two in the mag tube . Same with a detachable mag. . 
Use a 10 or 20 rd. mag. & that will also take care of having something to grasp, to remove it . 

Edited by survivalshop

Well I'm back and with pics so  lets get started  <thumbsup>

This is my 6 round Pmag loaded and inserted the mag well with the bolt closed post-12828-0-75513000-1389052992_thumb.j 

And this is the Pmag loaded 6 rounds and the cover still snaps on post-12828-0-27646200-1389053035_thumb.j

Another pic with the 6 rounds post-12828-0-17885700-1389053088_thumb.j

Pic with mag disassembled post-12828-0-39699600-1389053136_thumb.j 

After getting a 20 round Pmag and disassemble and store parts for later. Then cut the Pmag at the bottom of the top rib (warning don't go any shorter or it might be to short to lock in) post-12828-0-22674700-1389053313_thumb.j I used my chop saw and made quick work for the cut.

Now comes the fun part I didn't want to pin or screw the base plate to the mag so I can take it apart like a non modified Pmag so what I did was to take propane torch and heat the bottom edge till it was soft enough to mold. 

While the plastic is still soft I pushed the bottom of the mag on my garage floor to get the plastic to swell out on the edges post-12828-0-14214000-1389053196_thumb.j post-12828-0-60986700-1389053271_thumb.j  It may take a few times of heating it to get enough plastic out to form new base plate edge.

After that I had to file and sand the bottom edge to get the base plate to slide on and the floor plate to go inside the mag. To get a good fit you may have to file or sand some other areas on the mag as well. By looking at the pics you might be able to see the areas.

After all that you get shorten your spring post-12828-0-93353400-1389053348_thumb.j I cut the spring at the bottom since it was easier than the top since it has a 90* bend to hold the follower on. ( can't remember how many coils I took off but you should be able to count from the pic)  

Now you get to reassemble and test remember to be careful when putting the base plate on with spring pressure. If you didn't get the base plate edge right it could fly apart. If you don't want to go this route you can always pin the base or screw it on.

I have had this mag for 2 years now and use it hunting and at the range with no malfunctions so far. 

So there you go guy's enjoy your new 6 round Pmag. If you need less room you might try leaving the spring uncut this might get you to your 5 rounds or you'll have to put a plug between the follower and spring. <thumbsup>  

very nice. I think I'm going to do that but also attach a Moe range plate to the bottom

Depending on your state laws, you could just make a magazine block... Assuming you don't need a permanent job. Cut a piece of wood to match the length you want to block. You might have to fit and cut several times to get the desired length. You can stuff the wood between the spring and floor plate. Then you'll only be able to load a limited amount of cartridges.

Bird hunters have been doing that to their shotgun tubes in CA for YEARS.