• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Small framed and need to start concealed carrying.

Peachey

Well, just to update. Double bit of good news I guess. First off is that there are some other security measures being taken on the outside of the building where I was asked to start carrying, so my timeframe to make a purchase is slightly expanded as it's not as seemingly urgent at the moment. Secondly, I/we went to the range again yesterday, and it just so happens that one of our regular partners showed up with a Sig P238 that I fell in love with. So I'm now decided for certain on either a P238 or Mustang, just depends on what I find the better deal on. Also, just for giggles, I got to shoot a big ole .357 Mag that was a blast, literally! 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Peachey said:

either a P238 or Mustang, just depends on what I find the better deal on.

That P238 is a better pistol than the Colt Mustang.  Nothing wrong with the Mustang - that 238 is just a better gun. 

When it comes down to this, I just ask people, "What's your life worth?..."

Full rip MSRP on that 238 is $679.  Street price isn't far off that, but deals are out there.  Both those pistols are still a .380, though.

Since you're stuck on a 1911 design, have you considered the Kimber Micro 9?  Move to the 9mm, and you've got a TON more "personal-defense ammo options" that are way better than anything that's .380.

Full rip MSRP on THIS particular Kimber Micro 9 is $654.  Again street price is better.

micro_9_sts_532x495.png

You can get WAY more into much more money on the Micro 9 lineup, that's for damn sure.  The one I pictured above is the "MIcro 9 Stainless", Kimber model # 3300158.

Here it is for $499.  I stopped searching when I found this one, but there are other street prices out there around $525-ish...

https://www.rkguns.com/kimber-micro-9-stainless-9mm-compact-pistol-3300158.html

@98Z5V you must've been talking to Westgadad lol. He is pushing the 9mm Kimber too! Biggest reason I'm hung up on a 1911 style isn't so much that it's 1911ish, but that they're all metal frames. I like the extra weight. We have a Kimber dealer locally, I may drop by one of these days soon and see how it compares to the 238. I was just really pleased with the size of the 238, but as you and westgadad are saying, something 9mm will give better options.

2 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

The next 1911-based 9mm I'll buy will be this one - Springfield Armory EMP 4".  Gonna be quite awhile before I buy that thing, though, with them wanting $1220 for it...  :lmao:

PI9229F_WEB-1200x800.png

Ouch! I'm sure it's nice, but idk about $1200 nice.

7 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

I played with the whole EMP lineup at a show last year, they're fuckin' BAD.  I licked the FDE one, and asked them if I could keep it, since I licked it.  They were NOT amused...  :hornet:

What? That's not cool! Haven't they heard of lunchroom rules?!? That pistol was yours fair and square!

4 minutes ago, shooterrex said:

That Kimber micro 9 is on my list to buy.

I'm gonna keep my mind open about it. Westgadad is really not wanting me to carry a .380. I'm really curious how the size compares to the 238/mustang size though.

@98Z5V That thing was so fun. Had a Deputy show up because of a anonymous noise complaint while I was shooting that one. He was pretty impressed too lol. Got a kick out of me and the PA10 as well. Super nice guy, we were well within the law on everything, so he just hung out and chatted for a while. 

I carried the sig p238 for several years on the job. mostly ankle holster.. it's a tops pistol but heavey after a long day. you need to pratice with a gun you never have to shoot.... carry it for days and draw it for consistency!  A 380 is 10 yards max  for me and 15 for fun. glock 43 and 34  is its back up.. I've had alot of .380's  and now have one with hot loads . To each their own.

@magwa says a .45 will never shrink to a smaller  .9 mm hole! 

9 hours ago, Peachey said:

I was just really pleased with the size of the 238, but as you and westgadad are saying, something 9mm will give better options.

Look at the Sig 938, very similar size to the 238 but 9mm. Took me a good 500 rounds to get a feel for the pistol but now I can get hits reliably. Mine was an earlier one that had to go back for some parts swapping to work right but I think all the bugs are worked out now....and the prices are a couple hundred less than when I bought. :embarrassed:

I'm thinking any of the options that have been discussed here, coupled with a good IWB holster at 4:30(ish) would all but disappear.

I'm not a small guy (5'7", 220ish), and I EDC an XD .45 Subcompact in an Alien Gear Cloak Tuck. Aside from bending over with a Polo shirt on, no one knows it's there. Especially when I'm in a suit (as I am most weekdays...).

I read our laws ( Fla. )  and I think most folks think that if a busy body gets even a peek at your ccw,  you're in trouble.  The law talks about brandishing your gun in an aggressive manner.  Check your own gun laws, this isn't lawyer advice,  just trying to calm down the skittish.  There is a huge responsibility carrying,  be safe and careful,  no sense in being overly scared of your weapon peeping out once in awhile.

27 minutes ago, RedRiverII said:

I read our laws ( Fla. )  and I think most folks think that if a busy body gets even a peek at your ccw,  you're in trouble.  The law talks about brandishing your gun in an aggressive manner.  Check your own gun laws, this isn't lawyer advice,  just trying to calm down the skittish.  There is a huge responsibility carrying,  be safe and careful,  no sense in being overly scared of your weapon peeping out once in awhile.

Yep, spot on there. Generally speaking I open carry. I know that's not ideal either, but I'm also not going to the "wrong part of town" that way either. It's been so drilled into me to take constant mental inventory and to have a natural situational awareness because I open carry. This situation is strictly accounting for the kids and their natural curiosities. My own child is very well informed about firearms. It's nothing abnormal for her for Mommy to have a pistol, frankly it is the norm. However I have zero control over other people's parenting styles or how their children react to the presence of firearms. So in a nutshell, the whole concealment issue is more about out of little sight, out of little minds. 

6 hours ago, RedRiverII said:

That's old-school BS right there, circa 2013. Florida has since corrected that, and made it very clear.  Here's an excellent (lawyer opinion) recent example.  Published 29 May 2019.

https://www.uslawshield.com/concealed-weapon-panics-florida/